PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
First smoke tonight with a clay pipe from Penn-Valley Pipes. Sherlock/Tavern Pipe. Comes with varnish at tip.. so far it’s great. Draw is good, Trying MacBaren Navy Flake for the first time too. Diggin’ it! Smooth and easy to smoke. I imagine as I get better it gets better. 6 months into piping and building my skills. What a way to relax, enjoy,

Reactions: Friendly Piper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Never smoked a clay, nor a meer, but I did smoke morta and olive, and much more cob. Other mediums seemed exotic, but then again I'm a barbarian who can't tell the difference.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I heard about the “sticking to your lips” part and went with a varnished tipped pipe. No issue there. I concur that learning to slow down is helpful. I am looking forward to seeing it patina. I’ve seen pics from others that have colored and looks great. This part is also going to work on my patience.

A friend of mine from my pipe club occasionally smokes those glossy porcelain pipes made in Germany. I had always thought that they were merely sold as collector items or souvenirs, but he really likes smoking them... for whatever reason. But, he is also the slowest smoker ever. I think he won our slow smoking contest this year at The Briary.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
If you get an un-dipped one, you can always coat the end of it yourself. I have yet to get one, but I sometimes consider it.
Any idea of a good non-toxic material to coat it with? I'm guessing they use potter's glaze for them during firing, but adding something afterwards is a different thing. My first thought was nail polish but that seems nasty.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've had two. One dropped on the ground and we had a funeral for it. I got another one. I realized that there is a break in period. After a few smokes they are as neural as a meerschaum. Also I used bees wax on the tip. Just melt it and apply with a water color brush. I smoked mine a few hours ago. I smoked MacBaren Bold Kentucky and honestly it's better in the clay than the meerschaum. The meerschaum reveals the Virginia more than the clay. The clay seemed to allows the chocolate/earth burley to shine through more like it does in a briar. The briar mutes Bold Kentucky flavors more than the clay Or meerschaum. Of course this gets into the debate of different pipes smoke blends differently. Which gets us into the politics of pipes. Hopefully we can keep this thread civil after this post. :D

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I’m a big fan of clays & have several. I’ll often first smoke a blend that’s new to me in a clay, in order to get a good sense of its taste without the influence that a briar can have. I particularly like short clays in the style favored by many sailors and working men in the past. (Less unwieldy than longer clays, but I have a few of those too.) If you dip your finger tip in a little butter and apply a very, very thin coat to the clay tip it won’t stick to your tongue. It doesn’t take much. I read that somewhere. I don’t recall where or when - but it works.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Second evening with clay and MacB Navy Flake. Question, is NF considered high nicotine? Is it considered Burley forward. Noticing lump in the through feeling. Don’t usually get that with Aros or OGS. Does that make sense the lump in the throat comment? Sort of like the first time I tried a heavy English it was chokingly strong. Thanks.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[I just wish there were more selections with better bits or stems selections.]
Lepeltier send theirs with vulcanite stems which are pretty good.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I recently acquired a clay pipe and tried it out with some Christmas Cheer. I figured it was fitting because of the pic on the inside of the tin has ol' santa smoking out of one.

I must say it was an interesting experience and I certainly would like to see how it benefits other blends because it really helped the CC shine. did notice that I could taste the clay and I hope that the taste will disappear after several smokes. I also had some problems with my lips sticking to the end but remedied the problem with some lip balm.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Measure 1' from the end of the mouth piece and then wrap a piece of tape leaving the 1' section exposed. Paint this with hard nail varnish and avoid the sparkly varieties! Once hardened over night remove the tape and you are good to go. The Pollock clays were dipped in colored glaze and the Victorian pipes were varnished at the tip with a very light red 1/2' coating to prevent stems sticking to lips. Just remember what I have said about pipe notches as you can develop these very quickly if you are not careful.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Before I discovered meerschaum 'cutty' pipes I exclusively smoked Pollock 'cutty' clay pipes from the age of 16/17 until my mid 20s. The pipes will over time wear a small circular hole in you teeth were you clench the pipe. My dentist amusing asked me how I enjoyed England in the 1850s as I had started to developed pipe notches on both sides of my teeth. If you google search 'pipe notches' you will see illustrations of exactly what I mean.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Clay ... I have been meaning to give it a go. I keep seeing this pipe when I travel to Germany, resembles a church warden, although it has that little notch on the tip of the bowl, probably to hold the bowl as it get hot. They run for a decent price, like somewhere around EUR 20 - 30. I am in Prague in a couple of weeks, so maybe I can get one from Sherlock Holmsa, although I would much rather save my money to stock up on whatever blends I cannot find at home. By the way, how is the clay holding together? It always struck me as a fragile pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.