PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I looked for a "Hello, im new" forum and this was the closest I could find, my apologies if im in the wrong spot. I dont have any questions listed in this post (I have many in my head that I will share later!) but feel free to drop any tidbits on me that you'd like.
Brief synopsis:

My name is Kevin. I am from East Tennessee, the most beautiful place on earth! I joined the Army two days affter our towers fell in 2001. I served 5 years as a Military Police Officer and came home. I felt like I owed the people who served before me and was happy to be able to pay that debt.
I strongly believe in heritage / genetic predisposition to cravings, preferences, etc. *Disclaimer* The following statements are my opinion only and I have not researched them! *Disclaimer* With that being said, it seems that people who enjoy bagpipes have Scottish background (way back in time). I say that to say I have never smoked. Ever. However, I have always had a draw (pun intended) to pipes.
A friend of mine gave me a "Chadwick Supreme" Bent briarwood pipe. Just as I believe I am predisosed to smoke a pipe, I feel that I am predisposed to overwhelming loyalty. I now feel loyal to this pipe ;] It feels perfect, but at this point I dont think I have the cred's to determine "perfect."
He also recommended me to Captain Black tobacco as my first. I have since read that this is not the best approach and I understand why. However, I enjoyed it as much as a newbie could enjoy Captain Black. It definitely didnt discourage me, but made me more excited and eager to test the waters. I can see my tobacco stash growing rapidly, and the beatings from my wife to increase in frequency and ferocity (I have already ordered 6 more packs in 1 ounce sizes).
At this point, I'm glad I found all of you (yes, and you too!). I read (like many before me) all that my little brain could absorb before actually smoking (and posting). My goal at this point is to find a great tasting tobacco that I can smoke and enjoy. I can say that I dont enjoy the Captain Black's taste. However, I can accept that it's my fault and I'm not smoking it correctly. My light is ok, my bowl stays lit. I keep it lit, and I "sip." My bowl does not get hot, just warm.
I have also tried other blends. I am lucky enough to have a pipe / cigar shop in my small town. However, I am told that the tobacco is generic and just mixed up in the shop. I dont know, im not good enough to tell whats good and whats not. I say that to tell you, nothing I have tried "tastes good." I am actively searching.
I have smelled the pouch note on Mclleland's stuff, namely the Vanilla Black. These are the 1 ouncers I have ordered and am excited to test out. The beatings I sustain from my wife come from the money she anticipates this hobby / interest to consume, she does love the smell though.
In closing:
I love Pipes

I love smoking

I love the smells

I love the relaxing rhythmic zone

I love fellowship

I love a good cup of coffee or Jack Daniels with my pipe
I dont like the ashy taste I have got from my first smokes.
The loves outweight the disklikes!
I'll be creeping around the forums as much as I can. Internet time takes away from pipe time!

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Welcome aboard. Creep to your hearts content.
Beware. We are the worst bunch of enablers you could ever wander into though. Haha
Happy piping and good to have you.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Welcome! Pipe smoking isn't taught in any school (sadly) so we expect you to know nothing and ask really basic questions, no judgment so ask! As for "beginner" tobacco there is no such thing. The only wrong tobacco is one you don't like. With that being said let me give you some

Advice that will speed things up for you.
Buy a sampler from one of our sponsored sites. I prefers the Hearth and Holmes sampler from pipesandcigars.com but every sponsor is great and if you call them will help you set up a sample.
Buy a 10 set of cobs from corncobpipe.com, you can get 10 for 30 and you will probably destroy 1-2 with ghosting, improperly charring the top, ect.
Buy a tamper, they can be as cheap as 3-5 dollars and are needed to maintain your pipes.
Your mouth will be sore after you smoke because you are smoking wrong. Slow down, dry your tobacco. (Impossible to do with captain black). Sip don't puff. Count 3 seconds between sips if necessary to learn the pattern at first.
Ask as many questions as you can!

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
+1 On the enabling, and welcome as suggested you should get the ten pack of cobs as they are much more expendable than briar and it gives you an instant rotation, please remember that there are no stupid questions and we all are happy to help with any questions.

~Ron

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Welcome KC, good advice, Try TroutStream, an Aro that is not too sweet, not goopy to gum up your pipe, when you light STOP, don"t think about it, puff slowly and enjoy it, it"ll come to you slowly.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome KC, good to have you here and nice post.
I dont know, im not good enough to tell whats good and whats not.
If you like it, it's good. Don't worry about what others tell you is good. There are plenty who enjoy OTCs (over-the-counter) tobaccos, including many members here.
wnghanglow's sampler idea is a good one. It pays to try as many different tobaccos as you can to figure out what you like (and very likely what you enjoy now will change over time as well)
she does love the smell though.
Man, are you ever fortunate!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome!
We're not as crazy as we all sound. Okay, Peck and Harris are.
Glad to have you here and look forward to hearing how your pipe journey unfolds.
-- Pat

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Welcome! And Thanks for your service! Like the others suggested try those sampler packs.
I do have a question - what is off-putting by captain black? The smell? Taste? Do you want an even more powerful aromatic or do you want something less pleasing to the wife (english)?

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I'm going to order a sampler asap. I hadn't given a sampler much though and was just ordering bulk Mccllelan by the ounce. I chose things that sounded good. I will say that as a spectator, I really enjoy the smell of a good pipe. Giving my amateur opinion: It seems as though that comes from aromatics. So, I figured id start there.
Here is what I have coming (and some is at my house right now!!! USPS tracking just notified me by email and the ladies I work with thought I was having an epileptic episode...im guessing because of my flailing arms and fist bump.
McClelland Club Blend PT-M1X0050 1 8.95

Vanilla Ice (50g tin)

(Shipped)

McClelland Bulk No. 620 PT-M5D0028 2 2.50

Mocha Black (by the

ounce)

The above is waiting on me.
The below is coming

McClelland Bulk No. 401 PT-M4Y0028 1 2.50

Darkest Caramel (by the

ounce)

McClelland Bulk No. 403 PT-M410028 1 2.50

Darkest Chocolate (by the

ounce)

McClelland Bulk No. 705 PT-M5F0028 1 2.50

Walnut Liqueur (by the

ounce)

McClelland Bulk No. 815 PT-M5L0028 1 2.50

Strawberry Daiquiri (by

the ounce)
what is off-putting by captain black? The smell? Taste?
I am in search of something that I can taste. The Captain tastes ashy. As I said, I'm not experienced yet, but i dont think i smoke fast. Generally speaking I follow the sip and 3 second rule. I have no doubt I am no where near where i should be. So really, I'm looking for a good sweet taste. I read the reviews and crave this "sweet" smooth taste. I also like kind of drawing some of the pipe smoke into my nose (from the bowl) to get some of that smell I love. I can only rarely catch a wiff of it from the Captain. Sitting next to my buddy smoking the Mcclellan Vanilla Black I was in heaven!
Captain tasted ashy and stale almost. I tried it straight from the bag and also by letting it dry some. I didnt notice a marked difference between the two.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
the ladies I work with thought I was having an epileptic episode...
lol!
I like aromatics, but there are many that are just too goopy and chemical tasting for me. I recommend you try pipeworks & wilke's Rumcake. IMHO it's the best aromatic out there, using only natural ingredients. They also offer a sampler so you can try several (Wilke 191 and Bleeker Street are others that come to mind).
For a more affordable aro, but still very good in my book is Newminster's Danish Black.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Another piecemeal advice I wish someone told me starting out, don't put to much thought into the "reviews" you read. I understand everyone's taste is different but when I read that a blend taste like waffles covered in moms home made jam, I know that person is full of it, that blend doesn't exist. Any taste you get from an aromatic will be light and will be in the background of the tobacco taste, unless your not smoking tobacco. In a few months you'll find people who's review you agree with, and those who make you laugh. You'll also learn to pace your smokes and how to pack a bowl and everything else. This is not a hobby you can speed up, it takes time.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Welcome to the Club kcpoe!!!

I have been smoking a pipe for around a year now and also started out with some Aro's to find that they do not have the flavor I was hoping for. I that I did find to have a good flavor (to me) is Butternut Burley and a good room note to boot. The other suggestion I would give you is Frog Morton Cellar, it is a crossover from Aro to English.

Enjoy

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
05venturer makes some good suggestions there, butter but burley smells wonderful and the flavor doesn't pack a wallop, but I found it better than captain black. Frog Morton cellar does have a rum taste, but if you have never tried Latika before it's going to be a shock, and your either going to love it or hate it. It's got a kinda woodsy taste to it.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I have a good base of aromatics i think....I say that loosely. I know some out there have cellars full. If i cant fancy my tickle with what I thought at first might (aromatics) I will step outside of that and go into other recommendations. Its also possible that I find a sampler pack that has a good mix of aromatics and english or other type tobaccos.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah the list you gave us should give you an ideal if you like aromatics. If you end up liking them or not I would still buy a sampler of non Aros, there's a crazy wide selection of tobaccos no point limiting yourself. Do call the websites you buy from, I know Russ who is a aster blender will actually answer the phone from time to time, and will always call back to help you find what taste your looking for.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard, KC! I don't have much else to add that hasn't already been said. There's a lot of great guys and great advice on this forum, you're in the right place! Ask any questions you want, we won't laugh (much)! Lol! Good luck to you on your quest for the perfect blend! Some eventually find it, I myself have not. I am a BIG fan of McClelland, particularly their English offerings. Their Craftsbury Collection is amazing! The only two I've not had from that collection is Grey Havens and Virginia Woods, the rest of them are great, but beware, most of them have Latakia. I love Latakia myself, but it's generally an acquired taste. If you try a Latakia blend and decide you like it, and think you might want to try a heavier Lat blend, give their Blue Mountain a try. Good luck!
+1 05venturer!
@wnghanglow, "butter but burley"? Lol!

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I got a chance on lunch to try the Mcclellan Mocha. I think venturer hit it on the head...either these reviewers that are reporting things tasting like "mocha lattes with buttery notes and honey drips" have super sonic taste buds....or, they are full of crap. The Mocha smelled great out of the bag but tasted like the other cavendish tobaccos i tasted.
I also wish I could smell more if the room note myself...it seems like to get a good idea of what it smells like I have to leave the room and come back in. Are these just beginner mistakes or are you able to smell your own room note as you smoke?
I am by no means rushing my experience...and I am super happy that I finally jumped in. I look forward to building a good stash and keeping the smoke rolling. I'm going to look into the Frog Morton Cellar and Trout Stream.
Do you guys buy from the site advertised here? I only ask because the site I use I am familiar with and navigating it is easy. Some of the others confuse my and its difficult to find what im looking for (and thats on me for being a newbie!).

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Petes, I have a new phone and I need to "learn" it's auto corrects, I should also review my posts better before submitting lol
Kcpoe, yeah I buy almost exclusively from our sponsors. Pipesandcigars.com is my favorite due to wide selection, ability to back order, and usually there cheaper, especially when they have sells, I think it's buy 2 get 1 tin of dunhill free this month? The downside is there restructuring right now and some blends have been back ordered for months. Another great site is 4noggins, they ship super fast and they have great custom blends such as hobbits weed and bald headed teacher, they are a bit pricier though. I don't use any others just because I'm used to the two I use now lol

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
pipesandcigars is the site ive been using and im super happy with it. Didnt post the name first because I wasnt sure if i was allowed to ;]

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
While I love McClelland as much as the next guy - I would suggest you try some other blends from other manufactures. Try Altadis, Lane Limited, Mac Baren, Sutliff, Hearth and Home. Sample a little from each. 4noggins has a couple good sample packs. AND I think Pipe Guys have an excellent marketing strategy - they have their Bac-Packs. http://thepipeguys.com/product/bac-pack-the-greenhorn/ - like the Greenhorn. I will say you're getting higher end tobacco from them; hence the larger price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.