First shot at cracked bowl repair(picture heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Recently I picked up a lot of pipes on ebay. One of them was a medico (I think. F on stem) bulldog. The bowl was cracked. I pretty much used the reborn pipes method of repair. I used some of the reamed out cake to make the pipe mud and wood epoxy putty to fill the cracks. I didn't do the sour cream coating inside the bowl. Seems to me that would go rancid. The bowl is still rough but better then it was.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
You gotta start somewhere if you think you'll like restoring estate pipes. You want to practice on broken pipes at first to see what works and what doesn't. For me, a big part of the hobby is giving a second life to old briar. I find it very relaxing. Makes good practice for when you find that diamond in the rough.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That one should go to Resurrected Pipes. I would be anxious about the potential for noxious fumes from the epoxy.

I hope it doesn't impart any gasses or flavors and that you've saved this pipe and learned in the process.

Even if you find the pipe intolerable, you still have the experience and will be more confident as you proceed.
That gets at least and "A" for effort. :clap:

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
The pipe mud acts like a cake and covers the epoxy. I took the inside of the bowl to wood. That being said I wonder about the fumes myself. Im gonna let it dry a few days and then try it out to see what happens

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
8O Wow, and I was thinking my Bulldog was a trainwreck! I don´t think that I would have dared to tackel this one. OTOH, it´s great to work on ruined pipes like that. You learn a lot and the pipe can only get better by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.