PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
First attempt, any suggestions or opinions?
IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Nicely done! I like it! But personally I'm not a fan of half-rustications or keeping parts of the bowl smooth for ornamental reasons.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
im beginning to think the same to be honest, just thought I would play with it a bit...might break out the dremel again...

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I LOVE half and half rustication like some of the Savinelli Autograph series! Keep at it!

akpipe

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2012
Nicely done. The softened texture, gives it a 'favored pipe' look.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
SSeriously, that rustication looks so nice , I'd want it on the whole pipe! Great job

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
Ive now rusticated the whole thing. I am very pleased with the result, Ill get some pictures uploaded this evening (sat at work at the moment). Ive been very dubious about trying out the dremel, I practised with a number of attachments, but definatley found the right one. I foudn it jumped quite a bit even on the slowest speeds, and even then whilst practicing I found I was burning the wood. I found stippiling style worked very well. Sounds silly but alot of my other rusticated pipes I own feel smooth to hold, this however feel really roungh, almost like holding bark. Veyr nice feel to it.
I am have some trouble applying the carauba wax though...any suggestions?

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Nice job on the rustication. It's a moot point since you rusticated the whole pipe, but I think the partial rustication would have looked better if the whole rim of the bowl was rusticated, rather than leaving part of it smooth.
What did you use for the stain?

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
Tried something a little different for the staining, 1 part beeswax, 1 part tumeric, one part almond oil.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Carnauba is not going to go on very well over top of the oil mixture on the wood right now, is my guess. Nice job on the rustication - now you know how to do Savinelli's "Brownblast" finish, maybe they'll offer you a job!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Willwoodbine:
Consider using some Halcyon II in place of the carnuba. It's soft and is meant to be hand applied.
You've got a set of stones using that Dremel but, man, you do have talent. Nice work.
Fnord

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I practised with a number of attachments, but definatley found the right one.

Which one?
Second the question - although I'm not carving much these days, I still keep a collection of Dremel bits handy just in case...

Status
Not open for further replies.