PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
If this is posted in the wrong section, sorry please move it where it should be
First off this is what started my new obsession, I have a friend who smokes a pipe and said he got it at an antique shop. I thought that's pretty cool, so I went by a shop just to see if there were any around and found a pipe. It was nothing special at all just an old Wally Frank beater. I had no clue about pipes. I bought it and thought it would be really fun to refinish this thing and make it look good. I had no idea what I was getting into, I checked out some stuff online grabbed some sandpaper and went to work. That was just over a month ago but I am fairly certain I have found a hobby I will enjoy for the rest of my life. There are many imperfections and it's not perfect by any means but here's what I ended up with.
Before

image_zpshls5o4lu.jpeg

image_zpskt44tgnf.jpeg

image_zpsqfmnq98p.jpeg

After

image_zpsda6oo6u8.jpeg

image_zpshnjx42vo.jpeg

image_zpswibujrmm.jpeg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It looks like you did a nice job. I like doing some light restoration work myself here and there, but I don't know how some guys do it all the time. It requires too much patience for me to do regularly. I start something that should take days and end up doing it in hours because I don't have the patience. I'm a product of my existence and maybe someday when I have a less stressful job it will come more naturally to me. Again, nice job!

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Thanks guys, it's more work than I realized for sure but that's part of what I like. Haha, my little girl wanted to do something since I was, that's where the giant art jar came into play.
You can see on thouger rim opposite the stem side there was a chunk out of it. I tried superglue and briar dust but you can still tell it's there. Not sure if that's the best way to handle that fix.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
"how does it smoke?"
I'm not sure, haven't smoked it. I restored 3 before I decided I should probably see what's it's like to actually use one.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, that's a shame. I was hoping you could just get a big jar of pipe restoring supplies at a hobby shop or something.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You're lucky you're still alive. I once used one of my daughter's colored pencils as a carpenter's pencil, and I still haven't lived it down.
EDIT: She's 16 now, BTW!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looks good, but watch the "roundover" at the stem end. Try to work with the stem on the pipe when doing your polishing, and be very careful when doing any sanding, or any other work with the stem off the pipe. You will get a much better, smoother, flush fit at the stem/shank join. It's a learning process... Having smoked many Wally Frank pipes, I can say you have what will be a fine smoker there; light it up!

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Thanks for the advice Dave, I noticed that after I was done and saw that people sand with the stem on, it's amazing how much a little sand paper can take off, even when it's extra fine. I also put a few little scratches on it with my battery drill when I was buffing it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.