PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
New member, long time pipe smoker, but just recently really getting into it. This is my first post, and I just tried my first bowl of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. Possibly one of the best blends I've tried. Not to mention one of the best artwork on a tin out there! I ordered from pipesandcigars.com. I smoked it in my meerschaum USMC Eagle Globe and Anchor pipe after work tonight on the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean here in Okinawa. Thoroughly satisfied and can't wait for the next bowl.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum.

Squadron Leader is a classic "English" blend. Flavorful,but not overwhelming. In a similar vein, you might want to try Dunhill Standard or Peterson Old Dublin.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Welcome to the forum. I've had Squadron Leader, and while I loved the aroma, it was a little too mild for me. If you get a chance try Sam Gawith's Skiff Mixture. That one is really good, and a bit more 'lively'.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. Great site and online community!

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Squadron Leader is now my #1 favorite. I just finished a bowl, and the first one I dried. It's very tasty, and just right for me. While pretty damp in the tin, 30 min sitting spread out on paper made it perfect.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome! Enjoy your time here as well as your piping.
Other great blends with Latakia are Smyrna, and most GL Pease blends. Westminster is well loved by many.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Squadron Leader is one of my all time favorites. I used to smoke a pipe on Okinawa from the O club at White Beach frequently in the 90s when we would pull in to pick up or drop off the green side.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Welcome, Mig19!
One of our sons will be graduating from TBS at Quantico in a few weeks and I'm sure he'll be seeing Okinawa in the near future.
Please PM your address. I'm a Marine dad and everyone of you knot-heads have become part of my extended family.
Let me send you something to smoke, pard.
Fnord

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Thanks to all for the comments. I haven't done a good job on my profile, but I am a retired Marine Corps pilot, still working for the Marine Corps on Okinawa now as a civilian. In my job, we manage all Marine Corps Installations in the Pacific. I have the best of both worlds, as I've not had to leave the Marine Corps behind following retirement, and I get to work with the best young men and women America has to offer on a daily basis. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting on my balcony watching the amphibious ship Bonne Home Richard coming into port at White Beach while enjoying a bowl of Squadron Leader in my Peterson Sherlock Holmes Sandblast pipe.It's a beautiful Sunday on this magical island.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
12779249_10209002678047823_3773794073693893683_o.jpg

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
That's awesome Mig19 - that is the flagship of my old Squadron! Thanks for the pic!

jhfar77

Lurker
Feb 20, 2015
dread,
so you could say that ship was your Squadron Leader? Cheap laughs all around.
I am fairly new to pipe smoking, and Squadron leader was my 2nd venture into the world of English blends (the first being Frog Morton On The Town). I have thoroughly enjoyed the few bowls I've smoked. I agree with what others have posted that it is too moist out of the tin. Besides that, its a very nice, mild blend.
Looking forward to getting deeper into the full flavored English blends.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Just have to share. I've come from sub-tropical Okinawa to Japan's Northern-most prefecture, Hokkaido to visit my wife's sister and Brother-in-Law. I'm enjoying a bowl of Squadron Leaderand it's getting rave reviews from my Sister-in-Law and my wife. It's freezing with several feet of snow, and they are quite enthusiastic that I'm piping in their living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.