PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
Hello all,
I'm an expat, always giddy to find something that I feel gets the "home" connection. I'm new to pipe smoking and enjoy the fact that my wife hasn't hit the roof!! I picked up a relativley inexpensive paronelli (I'll try to attach pics from my phone in a bit), and have enjoyed it, but in my head the "classic" pipe I am not seeing... its black with a bent stem & a polished black bowl. The closest I've come was a Peterson with military stem. I wish I could give more info on it. I'm enjoying the feel and especially the thumb notch in my Paronelli, but it doesn't hurt to look for what i'm imagining does it? Beyond that, can anyone tell me if there is a Pipe Maker still producing in the west midlands area? I was born in Walsall wood and always like to get stuff from close to home.
Anyways, thanks for the forum. I've been lurking, but figured its time to join in the fun.

Mark

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
I'm in Northeast Ohio at this point, if the sponsors are smokingpipes.com or pipesmagazine.com I have spent a good deal of time on them trying to get my head around all the information out there!! I went into this after being on holiday in Cancun this winter and a gentleman was smoking a pipe that smelled amazing (the entire pool courtyard had an amazing fruity fragrance)... I didn't think to ask him anything about what he was smoking, but I did comment that I liked the smell. My wife later asked why I always liked to bring home smelly cigars when pipes smell so nice... that was my motivation to get a pipe... I know better than to ask "whats the pipe tobacco that smells like such and such" after reading through all the posts... my neighbor & son have both commented that the lane 1Q smells like chocolate... smoking it I cant quite get that sensation, but that's a "two-fer" and positive comments. I want to try introducing the Petersons Calabash Cherry that I have enjoyed in a week or two... unless you have any suggestions on ordering anything specific from one of the sites vendors?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The vast number of pipes available is daunting, so take your time. You can't go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe while you shop. The pipes you buy may well be with you for years and decades to come, so don't hurry. I still have the first pipe I bought, a Tinder Box St. Ives, bent pot with a vertical saddle stem, probably sourced from Chacom, still a handsome and good-smoking pipe.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Welcome to the forum, from another pretty new member.
I'm from London myself - I had a little scoot around the web on your behalf and I really can't find any pipe makers in the Midlands, whether north, south, east or west! There are some Brits who make them but at your stage I would just enjoy the pipes available to you where you are.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Hi Mark,
[/quote]can anyone tell me if there is a Pipe Maker still producing in the west midlands area
Not as far as I'm aware. The closest is probably Ian Walker at Northern Briars - he lives and works from a narrow boat, in the Stockport area I believe. The other well known maker is Mike Billington at Blakemar Briars in Northampton.
I'll ask around the various pipe clubs and let you know if I turn anything up.
Bob

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The only pipemaker in the Midlands is Mike Billington of Blakemar Briars near to Northampton.
I have four of his pipes and pound for pound beat Peterson's pipes hands down.
http://blakemar.co.uk
Welcome to the madhouse forum :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
There's also Chris Kelly at Eldritch Pipes in Leamington Spa.
Some of his pipes are a bit of an acquired taste, though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife later asked why I always liked to bring home smelly cigars when pipes smell so nice... that was my motivation to get a pipe...
And that is also exactly how I made the switch from cigars to the pipe. On vacation and we encountered a gentleman smoking pipe on the balcony across from us. At the time, in response to my wife's comment, I replied "I'm too young to smoke a pipe". I bought one anyway and I don't think that I've had a single cigar in the past six years.
Welcome to the forum!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I second the comments on Blakemar pipes. Great pipes for the money. While not in the Midlands Larrysson Pipes are wonderful creations. I have 2 that I love.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
lol. Thanks for all the enthusiastic responses!

Al, when I told her about my new purchase she asked "how old do you think you are!?" And my response was "35 going on 50". Ha ha. At least I can give my brother in law the couple of cigars I have before I introduce him to the wonderful world of tobacco tins & briar & lucite (oh my)!
Also, is there a preferred image host that gets used here? I think I have Flickr but can't remember if it plays nice with bbd forms. (Is linking to an image acceptable if not?)
One thing I can already appreciate about smoking my pipe is the emphasis on just taking it easy & enjoying life.
Off topic but this makes me smile... We recently moved to a 21 acre farm & ive sort of found myself packing my bowl earlier in the day in anticipation of "doing the rounds" and visiting the critters. One of our ewes had the first lambs born here & we had twins! My 7 year old daughter & I found them in the stall with the flock Sunday morning & mama (Sara) was happily letting them feed. We named the boy "Waffles" and the girl "Mo" (waffles is destined for the plate but Mo will be bred). Just walking around the property feeding the sheep & all the other animals is in it's self enhanced with the enjoyment of puffing on my pipe & just taking in the experience.
I'll try & update the pic with my daughter & me with mo & waffles as my avatar.... I have four kids total and an amazing wife who puts up with much more than she ever bargained for. Lol

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Your farm (and family) sounds wonderful!

Flick works fine here. If you use their "hotlinks", just insert that URL string directly into a post and don't use the "IMG" function in the reply box.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Great story! Your daughter must have been thrilled to see those lambs.
Welcome aboard.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
Thanks for the warm welcome! I managed to update my avatar.. that is my youngest daughter with me, she got all her good looks from me (because her mom still has hers!!).
I've been into the Lane 1Q quite a bit the past week or so & have been enjoying it, but last night I broke out the Peterson's Connemara Black... I don't know if it's the amatuer in me but I really enjoyed it!! The fragrance and taste are what I always hope for... not sure if a more experienced smoker would call it "too much" but I'm gonna give this one a puff by the missus and see what she says... a few friends (unsolicited to boot) have commented that the 1Q smells like chocolate to them.
Anyways, I should probably go explore the rest of the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.