PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Pipe #80 - Commissioned Partially Rusticated Devil Anse. Feels good to finally be back in the workshop!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's a closer look!
Glad to see you back in action!

IMG_2462.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You do a lot with design without having it look contrived. That's a great take on the canted nose-warmer. It almost moves beyond the Devil Anse formula into new territory, especially with the dual finish. That's a nifty shift into the stem in a kind of wedge rather than a taper.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks!
I'm normally not a big fan of dual finishes, but the commissioner called for it. I am pretty satisfied with the end result however. Without the faux horn stem inlay, I think it wouldn't be as nice looking with the dual bowl finish. That little accent really makes it all pop.
First Anse shape I've made. I won't be making more unless requested to do so. I don't much care for the shape personally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I was sold on the dual or multiple finish concept by the pipes of the late Bob Hayes. I remember especially a small light stained bent bulldog he did that really appealed to me. I finally bought a rusticated straight Dublin with a bamboo shank, not exactly multiple finish, but multi-material. It has to be done just right or it looks patchy, but you have this one down cold. Keep it in mind in your repertoire. In just the right pipes it has power. I agree, the band gives the pipe dimension that it would lack, and leave it a little too stark. But it's so understated it is really cool, so subtle. Your doing a pipe on commission to specs is like writing formal poetry, it brings up a level of concentration that stimulates rather than quashes originality.

Status
Not open for further replies.