PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I smoked my first pipe of tobacco on the night of Saturday October 27, 1973. The pipe itself was a Dr. Grabow bulldog which I purchased under false pretense (I claimed that it was to be a birthday gift for an Uncle, for otherwise I do not believe that the owner would have sold it to me) from a local combination bookstore and office supply shop where I was not known. The tobacco was a pouch of Irish Meade which I purchased from the drug store where I was known, and again under false pretense, this time at the request of a "visiting Uncle from out of state."
After supper I waited until it got dark, and then excused myself to take a walk. The question was, where could I go to sample these new wonders without drawing undue attention? I'm not certain why, but I ended up on the athletic field of the local junior high school. As I gazed around me I felt somewhat conspicuous, the darkness not withstanding, and so (and to this day I am not certain what possessed me to do it) I climbed one of the goal posts and sat on the crossbar with my right arm around one of the uprights. Fishing pipe and pouch from the pockets of my denim jacket I loaded by feel, and then lit-up using a kitchen match, just like I had seen my Grandfather do on occasion.
Sitting atop my perch I felt something akin to what the owl must feel as it surveys the night. Cars hissed by on the streets to the south and west, their headlights chasing the corners, tail-lights dimming with distance. A couple nearly a block away walking their dog could clearly be heard chatting as they passed - isn't it funny how some sounds seem louder in the dark? The stars and planets shown bright in the clear cold sky over my head. And I changed.
In the time that it took to smoke that first bowl I discovered what I had so hoped for. The enticing aroma as I opened that pouch. The sweet fullness of the smoke as I rolled it in my mouth, the live warmth of the bowl in my hand. A feeling of utter contentment embraced me, and I was sorry to have to eventually climb down and start the trek homeward. As I walked alone in the dark I reached for and felt the comforting bulk of pipe, pouch, and matches in my jacket pockets, and my spirits lifted.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great "first date" with your Dr. Grabow! I wish I had such a vivid and moving memory. I certainly enjoyed my

first pipe, but it was after I was married, in my very early thirties, and I didn't have such a lofty vantage point. Great

story, and what a moment.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wonderfully written, somewhat wistful nostalgia piece. All along I thought you were going to get dizzy and fall off the crossbar. :lol:

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Here is a little more nostalgia for you...
$_57.JPG

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Oklansas:
That's it! I do not recall the part about being, "...invincible in battle and irresistible in love...," for it made me neither, but as a first smoke I could have done a lot worse.
As Bob Hope once sang, Thanks for the Memory!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
That's it! I do not recall the part about being, "...invincible in battle and irresistible in love...," for it made me neither, but as a first smoke I could have done a lot worse.
Huntertrw - I missed that line, but "...observe how the subtle aroma warms the cockles of her heart" did jump out at me. Must be either an idiom, for which I lack the cultural understanding to process, or a phrasing that pre-dates my era of popular culture. Still, it got a chuckle for the kitsch factor.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice story -- thanks for sharing. Made me think of my first pipe smoke, also a Grabow that I still have, which would have been only a few years later in '75.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Nice story, Hunter! When I was a kid a couple of us would climb the windmill and sit & smoke cigars. It's a wonder we didn't get dizzy & fall off the platform!
And just like gigger48 we always bought Playboy Magazine to look at the pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.