PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
this is a in-progress picture of where i am on my first pipe carving, and altering attempts. the pipe in the front is the first i have shaped from a pre-drilled block. the pipe in the middle was the first i purchased and was once wrapped in leather. i got it for 10 bucks 9 years ago and never smoked it but the few times it took to make me know i liked smoking a pipe if not that one. i decided to rip the leather off rusticate and refinish it as a practice and lead in to the pipe i shaped. the block in the back in a bent i started playing with a little. already i am thinking of a couple of things to do to a few beat up old cheap pipes.

i am still adding more texture and crack details between the smooth and the textured. i kept the walls petty thick so i could get a deeper difference between textures. yes i am a big fan of the nording partial rustification.

pipecarving.jpg

By jasongone at 2011-04-12

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
just my dremmel and a few different bits. i like the look of the gouger tool i saw on line but just don't have the sack to try it just yet. i am also kind of meticulous and the artist i am wants to get in and have a little more control, but still keep it loose.

and thanks. i am happier with the results thus far than i thought i would be. always struggled with three dimensional art and haven't attempted anything as such since i was quite young.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I've always wanted to do something like that but I don't have the tools or patience. Sigh :cry:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Excellent work on the rustication. I'm a fan of some of Nordings partial blasts and partial rustications too.

Takes an artistic eye to get that just right

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
will definitely post some when finished.

marmal4de - i used the little cutting bits that look like small ball auger bits.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Wow, dude, you need a lot more practice. They look like crap!
LOL Just kidding, looks a lot better than anything I could do. Keep it up, we may have a budding pipe artisan on our hands (and in our wallets) here. :D

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Man thats awesome! I wish I could make a pipe. I don't have a artistic bone in my body, I can't even draw stick figures correctly :( Keep it up Jason.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
What sort of saw (or?) Did you use to make the shape? Take the bulk of the wood off?

Looks great..

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
you can make your own gouger for around 10 bucks. they look good. nothing wrong with using a dremmel.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
buckeye - i saw instructions on line for making a gouger out of some simple pipe pieces and concrete nails. is that the one?

looks like a very effective and logical tool. i do plan on building one, but just didn't have the guts to make myself rip chunks right off on this go around.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
You could always get some spare wood and test your gouger on it instead of jumping straight into working on your pipe.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i will have to make one. i have some semi-strange ideas for some pipe racks i want to make and attacking them with a cluster of nails will no doubt feel a bit more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.