PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
Hi
I'm a new pipe smoker and I'm getting a new pipe for christmas. Since getting into pipe smoking (a few days) I've been looking at the different pipes. Something classy yet special and not too expensive. I wanted something under 100$. Problem is under 100$ they are all nice pipes but I didn't find one that appealed to me specifically.
I finally found a New Brebbia Sabbiata Ninja Bent Billiard and I'm in love hehe 130$+11$shipping

A member also showed me 2 estate pipe that are quite attractive both Autographs

http://briarblues.com/c14.htm 125$+20$shipping

http://briarblues.com/gl010.htm 110$+20$shipping

They are nice looking but I'm still not really impressed, they would make awesome 2nd pipes though :P

What has me interested in the Savinelli's is mostly their reputation and all the talk about them on the forum. And I couldn't find much info on the Brebbia.
Could anyone enlighten me a little bit?

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
There are some Savinelli "One" pipes on CupO'Joes website that come with a lot of other basic pipe necessities. But if you don't like those I wouldn't know anything about the pipes you asked about. I'm even close to being an expert on pipes, but I do have a friend who is buying a brebbia and I know that Savs are pretty well liked as well. Are you a new smoker getting your first pipe for Christmas? Or you recently started smoking and are trying to decide on another pipe?

sunnyhours

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
I've got corn cobs, but I'd like to get something more "serious", for my enjoyment and for public use.

Hehe I'm 24 and I'm pretty freakin sure they would crack a ton of jokes about the corn cob pipe.
Kinda want it to go with my personality. but I don't want to lose quality of smoke/pipe just for the aesthetics...
But thee general concensus on Brebbia is that they're very good pipes, or "on par" with the Savinelli's?

Thanks!

allenz

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
If I remember correctly, Savinelli and Brebbia used to work together (Brebbia made the pipes, Savinelli retailled them).

Both makes excellent pipes though I would recommend the Autograph since they are hand made.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm pretty freakin sure they would crack a ton of jokes about the corn cob pipe

If the jokes are all in good fun then no harm. I think cobs deserve a place in every collection.
I have a Brebbia and a couple Savs and they are solid pipes. Don't think you could go wrong with either.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
You might want to look at Viking Pipe Club. He among the trustworthy estate pipe sellers and has some really nice estates priced lower than many.
http://vikingclubpipes.bigcartel.com/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sunnyhours, look, you not only want a good, quality functional pipe, but you want a briar that moves you

and makes you feel great about smoking it. No one can hit on just the right pipe for you, because it is so

much a function of personal taste. I think Savenelli and Brebbie both make great pipes and you probably

won't go wrong with either of those brands. But there are many quality pipes. Look also at Johs, Luciano,

Butz-Chocum, Stanwell, Nording. They all make fine mid-level pipes for a bit under $100. If you buy new,

I don't think you are likely to get a bad pipe, and this will give you a broad range of pipes, one of which will

ring your chimes. I just bought a pipe at a half price sale with Iwan Ries (the half-price appears at the top

of their home page), a Vuillard Windsor apple, originally priced $129, usually priced at $102, and I got it for

$64 plus shipping. It's a red-stain apple with faux godet with olive wood cap. Couldn't resist. You probably

don't want that pipe, but you want one that appeals to you in the same way this appeals to me. Shop around.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
One thing that I pay attention to when I look at pipes online is the weight of the pipe.For example the first pipe you listed weighs 73 grams the second only 54.The first pipe is a heavier pipe.Something that you may or not want to consider.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'll put a vote in for the Savinelli. I own 4, from the cheaper Toscana up to the Punto Oro series, and they are all decent smokers.
In fact, my favorite is a 90's Toscana - which new is only in the $60 range.
Also, and this is just kinda my observation (rather than gospel fact)- but it seems like Brebbias are heavier in general than Savs, and weight matters to me.
Could be wrong.
Either way, you're looking at a decent pipe. There isn't really a "bad" choice there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.