First Impression: Mac Baren HH Burley Flake

(36 posts)
  • Started 10 months ago by jaytex969
  • Latest reply from jrtaster
  1. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM
    MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM
    FRIGGIN' MMM

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 10 months ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope I didn't go too technical on that last review.

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once more with feeling!!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Bought two one pound boxes at the initial release. Jay is underplaying it by a mile.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 10 months ago #
  5. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve been smoking my first tin this week. I’m on 5 bowls now. Very solid flake for sure. I will be adding this to my cellar.

Neal
    Posted 10 months ago #
  6. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the review, now I’m gonna have to order a tin!

Posted 10 months ago #
  7. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quality burley flake indeed! Jay -- you know it

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 10 months ago #
  8. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve been loving on the Burleys lately and looking to expand on them a bit. Between ABF and 3Ps I havnt been sure where to go till I saw Jays review.

Posted 10 months ago #
  9. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've smoked most of a tin. It is a very good flake but a bit milder than my first impressions. Too mild for an end of the day smoke after having smoked 4 or 5 bowls previously IMHO. I bought 2 pounds to cellar, will probably purchase more over time. Just needs to be smoked in the right spot in the rotation.

Posted 10 months ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've nearly killed a pound box of it. Excellent all day smoke, and goes great with a glass of bourbon before bed.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Soooo...I'm going to take a wild stab here and say that you don't like it? That's cool, I'll taste test it for you. You know, just to be sure that the quality is sub par. Because I'm sure it is. Because it's from the MacBaren HH line. You know what? All those HH tobaccos are terrible. Everyone send all your MacBaren HH tobaccos to me and I will make sure that none of this evil stuff ever haunts any of you ever again.

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, it’s tasty stuff for sure. Well balanced and I like what the dfk adds. Nice to have something this good that is easy to get.

Posted 10 months ago #
  13. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very Nice indeed, and so was the Wessex Burley flake, recently I got a sample of both of them, perhaps I liked the Wessex Burley flake little better, but yes, both are very solid tobaccoes,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 10 months ago #
  14. loomongous

loomongous

Login to Send PM

I too, find it to be very enjoyable. It has a good well rounded flavor and is not too mild for my tastes. I can smoke it repeatedly with no problem.

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a fine blend.

Wessex Burley Slices is my favourite burley tobacco because I love its molasses flavours but the MacBaren is still a good example of a mild burley-based flake.

There is only a tiny wisp of dark fired in the tin aroma - I can't taste it in the smoke at all. It might just contribute a little volume and complexity as it is in no way a dark fired blend like ODF.

Is it a five star blend? No, I don't think so. It is too straightforward to be among the best, but it is damn good at what it does. Will it be better when it is aged? Almost certainly, but I would advise against anyone hoarding it blindly. Smoke a few tins before you stock up because I have read more than a few reviews where people say they are underwhelmed. I think they were just expecting some kind of heavy hitter when this is mostly an all-day blend.

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Respectfully I disagree a little about the dark-fired's role. After having smoked almost a pound of these flakes, I do think the dark fired burley is very subtly there in the smoke. As a fact, the HH BF does have an incredible smoothness whereby the component tobaccos are melded so as to give the initial impression of it being merely a mild, simple all-day blend. But upon a few closer smokes, I have found teasing out the various flavours reveals the very subtle nuances in the blend to be quite rewarding. I like this flake just as much as Solani's ABF and Wessex' BS, as they are all three, on the surface, very similar, but on a deeper analysis, each has its own subtleties and rewards. With the HH BF I love the taste of cashews, with ABF the cocoa, with BS the molasses etc.

Posted 10 months ago #
  17. mountainman

mountainman

Login to Send PM

I agree with Simenon that Wesses Burley Slices is the gold standard of burley flakes (imho), but I am going to try the MacBaren offering now, based on your amazing review!

Josh
    Posted 10 months ago #
  18. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Oddly enough, I haven't done a lot of exploring the MacBaren stuff, except for vintage syrian.

Adding it to the list!

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. homewaters

homewaters

Login to Send PM

HH Burley Flake is a top quality tobacco, just like all other offerings in their HH series. I would even venture saying if you've been scared by the famous MacBite in the past, give this one a try, it's a completely different animal. For some reason, burley blends usually don't agree with my body chemistry but I can smoke Solani Aged Burley Flake and this one without any issues.

Posted 10 months ago #
  20. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thomas, thanks for your analysis. I have not smoked nearly as much MacBaren Burley Flake as you so that was more of a "hot take" than a thoughtful review on my part but I'm sure there are complexities and layers of the blend that can be revealed with persistence...

Perhaps the dark fired presence is why I like it somewhat less than its relatives like WBS? Hard to say.

Wessex Burley Slices are basically my ideal burley blend and it would be very difficult to dethrone them so there is little point for me to compare the two!

With that said, one of the nicest things about these MacBaren HH flakes including the Burley and Virginia is purely practical - they are ready to smoke straight out of the tin, they are perfectly sized and mechanically speaking they are a dream to smoke. No fuss or special techniques necessary, just nice natural tobacco flavours...

WBS is a little more moist and sticky due to the casing but I find that is mitigated with sufficient drying time before every smoke.

Posted 9 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

orangecelluloid74

Login to Send PM

Very good blend, even for a new pipe smoker like myself. I have found an interesting audio interview about it:
    https://pca.st/n46S

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just great - a new blend to cellar. Yeesh.

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since my last post 3 months ago I have added this to my cellar list and stocked up. It is now in my top 10 favorites list. I still like Solani aged Burley flake, but this blend wins for me. I also consider it in the same company as Stonehaven.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outstanding...trying to get a pound...but it is back ordered...where have we heard that before?

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jay', glad to hear it. I ordered a tin but haven't opened it yet. Meantime, I've gotten a pound of D&R Two Timer, two toasted burleys, sweet and nutty. So my better burley angels are on the march. Burley used to be the codger's default. Now it has come into its own.

Posted 6 months ago #
  26. philipa4

philipa4

Login to Send PM

Nice review, haha. I like this blend as well. Nice and mellow IMHO.

Philip B.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  27. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been trying to get a pound box for over 10 weeks...gettin tired of waiting.

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve yet to try D&R. Give us a review MSO.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 6 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Just ordered some.

Posted 6 months ago #
  30. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I've got two tins but haven't popped one yet. I will at the one year mark. Looking forward to it.

Nate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  31. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just had my first bowl of this blend after buying a tin at the Chicago show. It didn’t hurt that Per Jensen was unoccupied and able to answer a few questions for me. It’s very rich and complex in flavor, but not overwhelming. Nic level seemed about medium. Also, it’s very smooth with no rough edges at all. It’s a little woody, very nutty, and there’s a consistent sweetness that ties everything together. The DFK is lightly applied, and it provides a nice spice note that’s subtle but consistent. Moisture level was perfect right out of the tin, and no hint of bite. I’m very glad I tried it, and will be buying more for sure.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  32. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

One of my new favorites as well! But I think you forgot one MMMM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

I have two pouches that I keep my favorite tobaccos in. One is PS LBF. The other is Mac Baren HH Burley Flake. Love this flake.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

I’ll be a decent if voice, not my cup of tea. But to be fair, I don’t like dark fired burleys. Toasted is more to my liking.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Actually, I take back my statement. I'm going to use a review similar to ashdigger.

"It tastes like a mildewy turd that was soaked in acetone then covered in dirt and smothered in gasoline."

Don't buy the stuff. It's garbage.

Posted 1 week ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

jrtaster

Login to Send PM

Not shilling but 4 Noggins is currently having a MacBaren sale

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, svii, redeye, jaygreen55, papipeguy, fishnbanjo, spartacus, georged, renfield, pipestud