PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been curious about GH tobaccos for awhile now and know they have a reputation for being heavy on the Lakeland, love it or hate it. In my latest (long overdue) TAD order I decided to take the plunge and pick up a few ounces of a few of them.
One look at the long uniform flakes and the curious aroma from the pouch, Kendall moved right up to the first one I had to try. I've had positive experience with Lakelands in the past and found the "soapy" esessence to be pretty pleasant but this one is different. The richness of the Virginias is accented by a obvious floral rose but not would I would call soapy at all. Almost a rich sweetness with a very interesting range of flavors behind it. I don't claim to have the most educated pallate by any means but I can generally pick out certain things. I'm not sure where they hell they get almond as being the primary scent in this tobacco but whatever the case, GH did this one right. Looking forward to a few more bowls but I can easily see a pound of this going in the long term cellar without a doubt.
Looking forward to Dark Flake unscented and Coniston Cut. Any other GH blends that one shouldn't miss trying?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@mike, I am a great fan of G&H flakes. You must not miss out on Dark (unscented) Flake, but try a small package first - it is one of the most nic-powerful flakes I smoke. But it is incredibly cool and burns very slowly. Pure flue-cured Va, it needs to be sipped. With SG FVF and BBF it is in my top 3 Va flakes.
If you like latakia you should also try G&H Balkan FLAKE (although it may only be available in bulk in the UK) - it smells and tastes like tarred rope !! (PM me if you can't source it).
If you want to avoid the perfumed 'Lakeland essence' try also the G&H Bright CR and Brown Unscented - both wonderful flakes. Again PM me if you have sourcing problems.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
@flak, I'm definitely going to look around for the Balkan Flake. That sounds like one that I would enjoy for sure!
I have four ounces of the Dark Flake, although from the pic on the P&C site was expecting intact flakes and instead got a bag of broken flake? Is that normal for that blend?
As for the Lakeland essense in general, I am not trying to avoid it. I actually do find it enjoyable. I picked up a few ounces of SG Lakeland Dark last year and loved it. As for my pipes, I ain't scared of no ghost :)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@mike, in my experience G&H Dark Unscented comes in well defined flakes. If you are not happy with how yours smokes please let me know - it is a tobacco for true aficionados, and I will make sure you get the best exemplar.
If you are comfortable with 'lakeland essence' have a good look through the G&H 'flake' section of "mysmokingshop" website (UK) and if there is anything that takes your fancy (in addition to those mentioned by Roth and me) again please get in touch.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoke my share of Gawith. My favorite is the Rum Flake, very sweet and floral with a good strength underneath. I also like Glengarry and Kendal Flake.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I love GH flakes. Just finished a bowl of dark flake scented. If you like kendal flake, you may also like ennerdale. A little more floral, but more violet than rose. SG kendal cream flake is also very good. My dark flake is also broken flake, but I like it that way. If you like the lakeland dark, you'll probably like dark bird's eye by GH, but I hear it's not a true shag cut anymore due to new EU regs.
Bracken flake is similar to dark flake in strength. Probably even stronger. Enjoy.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@bryanf, with what you (and Mike) have said about the "G&H Dark Flake" being 'broken', and that Bracken Flake may be nic-stronger, I wonder whether what you are getting on your side of the pond is exactly the same as we have on this side?
G&H Dark Flake in my experience comes in long flakes, bought in bulk. I have been smoking all sorts of UK flakes (mostly G&H and SG) for 12 years now and IMO G&H is definitely the nic-strongest of them all (second only to the strength of some brown ropes - also made in wide variety by G&H).
If you, or Mike, would like to compare the G&H Dark Flake we have over here I would be happy to send you a sample (just PM me)
PS - Bracken Flake is a Samuel Gawith flake, not a Gawith and Hoggarth flake. Not that it really matters; both companies derive originally from the same tobacco-making Cumbrian family ! lol

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I thought it strange, also, but my dark flake scented is completely broken flake. Thanks for the offer on the sample, but I really like the broken flake. Don't mind it at all, really. Cortez sent it to me, and I'm running low. When I buy more, I'll see if anything's changed. The sample he sent me was from 2010, and that might have something to do with it.
Bracken Flake (yes, SG) is probably right on par nicotine wise, but the fact that it's an intact flake makes it seem stronger to me, because I can get more into my pipe. I'm guessing an intact flake of GH Dark Flake would be just as strong.
Either way, both are very good, and when I run out, I will surely be ordering some more!

Status
Not open for further replies.