PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I just tried a flake tobacco for my first time since starting pipes and OH MAN was it good! I got big billowing mouthfuls of smoke, there was flavor up the yin-yang, I only had to relight once, and the bowl seemed to last FOREVER! I think I'm in love. Every complaint I had about smoking a pipe went right out the window and for the first time I actually tasted the notes they talk about on the can. I was so excited as soon as I finished I came on in here and decided to share. I seem to be posting more and more on here but I just get so excited when everything goes exactly right with a pipe I feel the need to share.
BTW it was Erinmore Flake that I had this delightful experience with and I used the Fold and Stuff method instead of rubbing or cube cutting.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on what sounds like an awesome first flake experience!
I was a fold and stuff guy, until I cube cut for the first time, and I haven't looked back.
Regardless of how you prep your bowl, if you love the result then run with it!
-- Pat

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Way to go burl! You have just begun to enjoy the many tasty flakes available.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks to Roth, I recently started with Dunhill Flakes. Fabulous! I ordered three tins with a new pipe, and save the flakes for special occasions, i.e., when I want to pamper myself. I tried Erinmore too, but find Dunhill a more satisfying experience; I'd give Dunhill a try next. If you liked Erinmore, believe me, you'll like the Dunhill just as much, maybe more.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Thanks for the recommendation Sparrowhawk, on my next tobacco order I'll be sure to pick it up. It might be awhile... I have about 8 or 9 pretty full tins left to work through!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you enjoyed Erinmore Flake, try Peterson's University Flake and Orlik Golden Sliced. The three offer a good comparison and contrast in degrees of fruit flavors, from bright citrus to deep plum.
Flakes are great, aren't they? Such an amazing concentration of flavor.
But the more flakes I experience, the more I find myself coming back to the old faithful PS flakes: LBF and LNF. Must-tries for any flake newcomer. My personal favorites.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Erinmore Flake is a great choice for your first flake. Don't be surprised if you find that you like different prep methods for different flakes. You are off and running now. Watch out TAD!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is a great post, Burl! There's nothing quite so wonderful as a smoke that goes so well.

Now, you'll have to search the vendors' websites for "flake". Let the journey begin! :clap:

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Hey, burl!
Sounds like my first experiemnt with flakes!
I mostly smoke flakes now. Current open tins are Erinmore, University Flake, irish Flake and Marlin Flake.

I

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I also had Erinmore Flake as my first Flake. Loved it! So much so I have 5 tins in my cellar. I tried UF next but dint really enjoy it. Dunhill Flake and JF Germain Latakia Flake are also very good. Smoking some MacB Vanilla Flake at present and their Navy Flake is good.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yup. You found the good stuff. I thought pipe smoking was so-so until I discovered two things:
Pure, non-aromatic Virginia blends and,

Flakes.
Nom nom nom nom.
I just tried Mac Baren Roll Cake last night, and like it. Its coin cut- I rubbed out 5 flakes slightly (too much, should have stuck with 4 in my pipe) after a couple hours of drying. When I hit mid bowl I had a nice, sweet, creamy smoke. I managed to pack and dry that think just right- I think I relit once or twice, and dumped only ashes from the bowl. That rarely happens for me.
Chris

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
burlpettibon, congratulations on your first foray into the wonderful world of flakes. I smoke them exclusively because of the great flavors I get from them, plus I love their cool burning qualities.
Here are a few of my favorites that I think you might enjoy. My cellar consists of 28 different ones but I will give you just a few to start with. If you ever want the entire list just pm me.
Capstan Blue Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Solani Silver Flake

Escudo

Astleys 109 or 44

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
These should keep you busy for a while.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Thanks Harris, I have the Solani Aged Burley Flake on the way and I have about 8 tins of non flake tobaccos laying around but next order (probably in a month or so at this rate!) I'll be sure to pick up your recommendations!

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I was also blown away by the smoothness of flakes. Yeah, they burn well and have a nice, rich flavor. My favorite is the Orlik Golden sliced - so smooth and mellow.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@burlpettibon, that's great! Experiment with lots of other flakes, and even try plugs! I love flakes - 'flaky' by name and 'flakey' by nature, but I'm becoming more 'pluggy' as I expand my pipe tobacco horizons!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.