PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So I just got my first estate pipe...looking forward to the work of getting it up to snuff...its also my first meer... if the amount of wear and cake are any indication somebody loved the way it smoked. I found it at a second hand thrift shop. the closest thing I can find to a makers mark is the flower on the shank? any thing know anything more about this pipe?

Imgur album

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
looks like some one liked to smoke the heck out of that pipe. any idea how old it is. Any how, good find and enjoy a smoke for the rest of us.

joshwolftree

it appears the shank and stem were threaded at on point. The shank has what appears to be a threaded insert and the stem has a bit that apears to have been epoxied in at some point...The stem itself has a small line right under the tip of what looks remarkably similar to the teath marks in my clenchers stems...it was well loved and from the stem and shank attachement I'd say repaired at least once. The stem is some sort of stone like material so probably the amberoid. It doesn't have quite the right weight for amber(I collect stones). takes a cleaner smoother than most pipes in my collection

joshwolftree

I can see the appeal of estate pipes now...well besides the fact that it only cost me twenty dollars...I have even lit it yet and I can't help but wonder who must have owned it before me, what sort of things did they ponder with it. did somebodies family find this pipe in their effects and donate to the second hand store? what would they think of the world today? dangit gonna spend the whole day tommorow try to clean it up:)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
+1 Josh.
Estates make up over 95% of my collection and I often wonder the same things. I particularly appreciate the ones that somebody smoked the living daylights out of. Those are the burners that really resonate with me and I'm always glad to make sure there are still a few good smokes left.
I don't want to steal Hobie's thunder but please post a few pix after you've scrubbed it down.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
One of my favorite meers is one that i got in an estate sale and its over 100 years old. Its like travailing through history. Two people separated by time and space linked by the use of one object. Enjoy.

joshwolftree

so I'm home from work and rechecking this pipe out after giving myself some time to think...I quick isopropol dip to sterilize the stem and a minor reaming of the bottom of the bowl is all I'm gonna give this one

1: I think that with my first estate I'm afraid to go to in depth

2:) it has some wear and tear on the outside but that just tells me it's somebodies old friend and if they put that much love and care into tearing it up far be it from me to detract from the pipes stories to replace them with my own, I think I'd rather just add to it :puffy:

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
That is a good looking meer... Too bad Storient isn't browsing the forum right now, maybe he could help you identify the maker and approximate age of the pipe.. Be gentle when reaming the bottom of the bowl, meer is quite delicate, wouldn't want it to shatter before you get the chance to smoke it...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your first estate piece. If you are like the rest of us, it won't be your last. Getting awesome deals on great pipes is habit forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.