PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Hey ya'll,
I'm looking for some advice on a possible purchase. I've been in the market for my first Dunhill for a while and have found one I may pull the trigger on. I need some advice from some of you experts out there on if this would be a good purchase.
The pipe is a 1966 Dunhill Shell 252. All original, very clean. My only concern is the seller says there is a small hairline crack on the rim. I could get it shipped for less than $200. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys!
dunhhill1_zpsf3e51f3f.jpg

dunhill2_zps9d4cce82.jpg

dunhill3_zps63f3c394.jpg

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I just recently purchased my first Dunhill as well. It's a late 50s shell. Needs a good restore but otherwise no cracks. I would say it depends on your intentions. If you plan on keeping it for yourself then sure. The crack can always get filled but be warned that it might worsen over time with all the heat exposure. If you plan on trying to resell it, I'd say save your $ and look at other Dunhills.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Without seeing a picture of the crack it is hard to say. Sometimes really old cake looks like a crack but it is just carbon.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I am far from being an expert but the pipe looks to be in pretty nice shape. However I cannot see the nomenclature. Is it clear, crisp and legible?? That's what you are paying for!!!!! If there is a crack I have to agree with portascat, I wouldn't take a chance on any pipe with a crack personally.

There are too many folks out there attempting to repair and restore pipes that have little knowledge about what they are doing, and do more harm than good in trying to make a pipe look good IMO.

If I am correct the 252 shape is a smaller size and the price seems a bit steep IMO.

That's my 4 cents, and hope that you are pleased whatever your decision concerning the Dunhill.

:)

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
As a side note, I bought a sweet Mitchell Thomas pipe (same folks who make Aldo Velani) several years ago. It eventually developed a hairline crack in the bowl due to a drop. It is a sandblast finish, and the crack is almost invisible, unless you look straight down at the rim and see it from the top. But a cursory glance at it, in not perfect light, would not show it. And the length, down the bowl side, is pretty impossible to gauge.
However, invisible as it may be, the pipe smokes poorly now, and it used to be my best smoker.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
With a crack, even an old Dunhill is not worth $200. Personally I wouldn't buy it at all, but if, not for more than $100.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. I think I'd like to be 100% in love if I'm going to spend a few hundred bucks.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I have a hairline crack in the finish of a Tsuge bent egg, and it hasn't grown in five years of smoking it. Not sure how it got there. I may have bought it that way and not noticed it originally. I wrung my hands quite a bit over it when I first got it. Now it's just an annoying little bug about the pipe, though it doesn't stop me from smoking it. That said, it'd have to be pretty extraordinary circumstances to get me to buy one with a crack in it already.

Aug 14, 2012
Stay away. It is worth about $50 cracked, if it is worth anything. If you want the best Dunhill you can get buy a smooth one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would stay away from anything with a crack, why settle? There are too many deals on Dunhill's out there. With patience you can get a pipe that you love that is in perfect shape.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
There are 8 pages of Dunhills on ebay and several estate retailers that are selling. You can find one for around $200 that you'll be happy with.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
There's 2 pipes in my near future. My first Dunhill an my first Rad. This feedback has me thinking I'll go for my first Rad.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would go for the Rad over the Dunhill. In my experience, the Dunhill's I owned did not come close to the smoking experience I get from my Rad's. I do have to qualify that statement with I have never smoked a Dunhill that was either a Patent pipe or one from 68 or earlier that are supposed to be the better Dunhill's.

Aug 14, 2012
It is a myth that the pre '68 or pre anything Dunhills are better. They are excellent today. Most finishes do require a long breakin but so did my Rads. Which is better? It depends on whether you prefer a factory or artisan pipe. My preference is for a Dunhill Bruyere. Once well broken in I enjoy a Bruyere billiard with a Syrian Lat, an English or Balkn. mix or Nightcap, as much as anything. I have 88 Dunhills and 1 remaining Rad.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am no expert at all, but I did buy my first one on here just a few months ago, a 68 Shell from Samcoffeeman. $200 to my door , cleaned ,sanitized and ready to rock, no cracks. Since then I have bought four more. Another 68 Tanshell, A 62 shell pot, a 55 root briar all for less than 200. No cracks ready to smoke. I did buy a 1950 rootbriar with a hairline crack in the edge of bowl, no other problems, beautiful little pipe ready to smoke $60 dollars to my door. A crack makes a big difference. Mine are all wonderful smokers. I love all 5 of them and I am looking for more. Good luck. :puffpipe:

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
mrjerke here in the South there is a finacial advisor and broker named E.F.Hutton. Their saying is "When E.F.Hutton talks, People Listen!". Here on the forum, to me anyway, Foggymoutain is the E.F. Hutton of Duhills. "When Foggy talks Dunhills, People listen!". :worship:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yes I agree with the others. Pass on the crack. Wait it out and the right Dunnie will come your way sooner or later.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
There are 3 Dunhills on James Island Piper from $165 to $187. 2 Lovats and a Canadian. I have purchased 5 or 6 pipes from him. No junk on his site and IMO his prices are pretty good for something that will not have any surprises.
http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php?seller=JamesIslandPiper&navt1=110812&navt2=110850&per=5&sort=&per=25&grid=

Status
Not open for further replies.