PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Today happens to be my first day at the local community college, and my first day at any college for that matter.

Just getting some classes out of the way for EMU in the fall.

I've gotta say that I am just about ready for anything. Woke up did my morning routine and then smoked my pipe. All in all I would say it is a start to a day full of education and enlightenment minus the fact that I didn't eat any breakfast and I will be here until 6pm or so. :eek:

Do any of you remember your first day at college?

I plan on looking back someday and saying "I'm glad I made the decision to go to college, and best of all I smoked my pipe before I went".

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Communtiy colleges are the best bang for the buck. Good luck and enjoy the experience. Do I remember my first day of college? Nixon was president and my draft status was 1S. It was get good grades or go to Nam. Incentive enough to crack the books.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
O God! that one might read the book of fate,

And see ...how chances mock,

And changes fill the cup of alteration

With divers liquors! O, if this were seen,

The happiest youth, viewing his progress through,

What perils past, what crosses to ensue,

Would shut the book and sit him down and die.

• Shakespeare, Henry IV, Part II [III, 1]

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I'm on my last week of school right now. In fact I have to head off to a final exam right now!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Yes, I felt inadequate, like not good enough, not smart enough, not cool enough. In just some days the kind of people I met, both alumni and teachers made me feel on shoulders of giants, and I felt there more at home than at home. Enjoy this experience to the fullest!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I remember, it was only last year. I was scared to be honest, I swear highschool teachers try to scare the shit out of you before you go, but whatever, im still here, and I enjoy it, I actually plan on adding three more years to my college adventure. Good luck, youll enjoy yourself

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
My son just did two years at our local CC and is on his way to finish up at State. CC's are awesome for getting a degree, good luck to you!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Just graduated with a bachelor's in December and I started at a community college. I can give you a little advice if you want it as well.

Don't ever let people tell you that it can't be done. Commitment is everything. Colleges also usually have learning centers that can help when your struggling. I am terrible with English and they helped so much. Lastly chose a major that actually have jobs in the market lol.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
@waznyf, best of luck with your summer classes at your local community college. You made an excellent choice to begin your educational journey. Unlike the larger four year colleges and universities. Community colleges have smaller classes and are much more directly focused on student learning. Of course I may be a bit prejudiced being a senior chemistry professor at a community college in Georgia. I will be meeting my Summer classes at the end of this month. Let me know if I can be of any assistance with your new journey.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Take good notes. Be there for class every day. Try to eat right and when you're not smoking your pipe and studying, get plenty of sleep. Don't hang out with the "party til you drop out" crowd and review the previous day's notes before every class if you can. Do that with dedication and you'll make it.
I graduated with honors in both my A.A.S. in Music and my degree in the Mortuary Arts/Sciences.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I remember a lot of confusion. "Where was that class again?" "What time does it start?" "What do I need?"
Don't worry in your first day of classes as to what you'll need to bring. Show up to classes 10 minutes early. DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS until after you look at your syllabus and your first week of classes is over. I got burned a lot from buying a book the professor told me to buy, and never had to use; when returned, half of my money was gone. If your professor is an author of the book, you will HAVE to buy it. When it comes to classes, always show up (if it's attendance based) and when it comes to homework, you will certainly find yourself with a paper due on a lazy day. Any assignment not done is 0 pts earned. Always remember with college that it's better to turn in a half-assed assignment than no assignment at all.
Oh! And don't be afraid to make light conversation. I promise everyone else in the room is just as horrified and confused as you are.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Show up to classes 10 minutes early. DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS until after you look at your syllabus and your first week of classes is over. I got burned a lot from buying a book the professor told me to buy, and never had to use; when returned, half of my money was gone. If your professor is an author of the book, you will HAVE to buy it. When it comes to classes, always show up (if it's attendance based) and when it comes to homework, you will certainly find yourself with a paper due on a lazy day. Any assignment not done is 0 pts earned. Always remember with college that it's better to turn in a half-assed assignment than no assignment at all.
All words of wisdom, right there! Especially the part about the books. Many profs will reccommend the book because the school wants them to, but will teach and test entirely from lecture. The book could be $300 better spent on PAD/TAD.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Be active and engaged in your classes. Come prepared and don't hesitate to ask questions. There is seldom a situation where you are the only one who does not understand. Being involved, asking questions, and interjecting provides invaluable feedback to your prof. I always like to know when I point I thought was clearly made was sti.l a bit obtuse to my students so I can work with them to better understand. Get to know and interact with your fellow students. I have found that lateral engagement to peer learning to be as valuable as the didactic exchange between teacher and Learner in the construction of new knowledge and development of reasoning formalism. Finally, as you need make use of your prof's office hours throughout the semester. It's a good thing for your prof to know you by name.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thank you everyone!

This is the second week of classes and so far everything is going well. I only hope that I don't get too overwhelmed being that these are summer classes!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The best thing is to establish a routine and stay with it. I always had breakfast before first class, coffee after weight training and lunch on the way home, then study sleep shower and dinner before work . It was ritual.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Started my first day of the summer semester today. At a campus different than I normally teach at. Good group of students. 40+ in my chemistry lecture, 24 in the lab. Major cutbacks in resources. Should be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.