PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
A great menace has overtaken my hometown. People are being accosted everywhere, we can't walk out the door without being attacked. This cold, heartless monster is going after our children, our homes, our pets, our gardens, and our poor, poor mailmen. Ye gods, did we displease you?! Why have you forsaken us!?
Arm yourselves, take up torch and snow shovel. Take to the streets! (But quickly take to the driveways when the plow comes down your road.)
Damned winter.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
In the CO Front Range we received our first measurable snowfall of 3-4" on 10/6/2016. Otherwise its been dry since August & no other precipitation expected for the remainder of the month.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
DSC_0059_zpsyhhvuxo1.jpg

My preferred ambient temperature is somewhere in the high 70s to mid 80s. Anything under 70 is cripplingly cold for me. Can't stand this garbage. Oi.
Have I mentioned I'm moving to Minneapolis for love?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not many days of snow here, and it usually melts off before more falls. Sounds pretty benign. However, we have wrathful ice that coats everything with a deadly eighth of an inch. Worse, people from the snow states scorn any complaints because of their vastly greater precipitation, but forget we have much more limited salt and sand trucks and plows, etc., so frequently have to just wait out the glaze, which melts off quickly some places but waits in shadowy spots in others. Lots of power out and vehicle wrecks despite the bright looking days that often accompany this. It's the stealth winter. It's not Buffalo or St. Paul. And we can have balmy days as early as February. But we ignore the ice at our peril, and can't look for sympathy from the snow-blower states.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I am constantly amazed by the fact that humanity inhabited those places before the existence of electricity, LL Bean, and overpopulation.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Snow here in Upstate as well. Woke up to an inch on the ground and ice on my car. Time to start adding an extra 15 to my morning schedule for de icing and warm up.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm with Nate. Supposed to hit 96 degrees today; it's the end of October, for God's sake. Enough with the heat down here.

Jun 4, 2014
They did get some snow in the northern part of PA this morning, only had rain and a few sleet pellets. Wish it would have snowed. I could have lit the fireplace and settled down with a good book and a pipe.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I went to school in Montana. People back home would say that I must love snow, but it's not that so much as it is a love of the seasons. By January the snow sucks, but you look forward for spring and onward. It sucks when seasons just blend into a few weeks of 50's and the rest 80++.

I haven't even started wearing socks yet. I was just working with the framers in shorts. I'm not a snow person. The climate here in Alabama suits my coat. We'd have already closed down all of the interstates and schools. Everyone immediately just drives into a ditch and walks home in stuff like that. Deadly stuff, that is. Scary.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
I live at 8000 feet elevation, and it never snows or frezes. The kids don't know what snow is except in pictures.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You are pretty close to the equator, no? Sounds like a pretty fine climate....elevation keeps you cool in Summer, sun warm in Winter. Well, cool-ish and warm-ish!

Status
Not open for further replies.