PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am thinking about having someone do a commission for me and this will be the first time I have ever done this. All I know is I want it to be a hawkbill. Who would you use as your first commissioned pipemaker and why. Come on peck - lets hear your thoughts! :)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My buddy JP Seiler is the guy who you should ask about the Hawkbill. Thomas James is pretty good at the Hawkbill shape. That's a shape I wouldn't commission unless you are willing to say no to it. Most of the attempts at the shape I see are really bad. 8O

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Eye opening news for sure. Who is JP Seiler - don't recall that name. Couple of good leads so far. At least I am further than I was.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't close the deal without some back and forth, maybe suppling photographs of hawkbills you like, and sketching variations. This will get you on the same page with someone, or give you the measure of someone who can't communicate. Don't demand a lot of time, but share some suggestions and get some feedback, maybe two or three rounds. Best if you can do these sessions face-to-face, but by mail or email if necessary. Be sure he's hearing you and understanding you, so you'll feel like the pipe you want is the one he's making. You ought to have rights of refusal if the final item doesn't fulfill the vision you have, but if you do good prep work, this won't happen. I've never take the plunge. I only buy completed pipes so I can hold them in hand and heft them, but some day I may.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Hawkbill is the signature shape of Dr. Bob. I saw some of his work at Richmond and it is very impressive at his price points.

www.drbobpipes.com

480_sat_hawk_sm01.jpg

480_DSCF4323.jpg

A related thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/official-hawkbill-pipe-thread

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
No useful advice, but I love the hawkbill and would love one

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I have several hawkbills, and I find this shape far more variable than any other. I have yet to see 2 Castellos that look the same. Although I gather they pioneered the shape, I prefer Radice's take on it. I've seen a couple of Thomas James hawkbills that appeal to me. The Windjammer John showed above would have been mine, but he did some nefarious deeds to snatch it away from me.
hp

les

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have several hawkbills, and I find this shape far more variable than any other. I have yet to see 2 Castellos that look the same. Although I gather they pioneered the shape, I prefer Radice's take on it.
Barling was producing hawkbills in the 1920's, a couple of decades before Castello came into existence.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I will second Dr. Bob. I am truly enamored with his work and the hawksbill is his personal favorite I believe according to his radio interview with Brian. That has to count for something :idea:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It was easy, peteguy. Justin was staying at my house for a pipe club meeting and I wrote the check at breakfast. I also had the keys to his car so he could not leave until I had the pipe. I immediately sent a picture of me with the pipe to lestrout knowing how happy he would be for me. He'll never let me forget it.

Dec 24, 2012
Sorry guys, I am on vacation in a warmer region and have not been spending as much time here as I should.
I will admit that I am not a huge fan of the Hawkbill shape, so I can't offer much guidance there. I do have one and it's a Castello. I just don't like the way the pipe hangs in my mouth.
I will say that the Hawkbill by Justin Bain above looks very cool. I remember Justin - he was the forum member who went by the name of Sparks, correct? A very nice guy. Whatever happened to him? I don't see him on here anymore.
I find the James's Hawkbill above looks a little to scrunched up for my taste, but then, as I said, I have a hard time appreciating this shape.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thomas James, without a doubt ! I don't just say that because he's a friend and partner in crime. He can really nail that shape for you.

Dr. Bob would also be a fine choice.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Dave for the comment. I would of course recommend Castello since they make the best classic hawkbill (Donkeynut), however I don't believe they do commissions. Thomas James (Richards) is a member of our club and I have the first hawkbill he ever made. (We trained him well -Ha) I think Tom has nailed the shape. Dr. Bob also does a good job as does Tim West. The hawkbill shape is either one you love or hate, there is no in-between feelings. It is a very polarizing shape. Good Luck

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Peck, I saw Justin last night at the Christopher Morley Pipe Club Meeting in Philly. He is well and I am sure he is appreciative of your kind comments. It wouldn't surprise mw if he "piped up" and thanked you on this thread himself! We all appreciate his quick & insightful wit!
Not much of a Hawkbill fan myself but there are some interesting ones out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.