PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ordering a pipe, I decided to order 4 oz. of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake to

ride on the shipping, while smokingpipes.com had it on 15% off. It is one of those

blends that calls out for a second bowl once you've tried it. It's a Va/Per with a

definite but measured about of Perique, and the slices are moist, thin, and easily

rubbed out quickly. I can never tell about the staying power of a blends appeal, but

even some of my ongoing favorites haven't begged so persuasively for a second bowl.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My first VaPer and love at first puff. Subtle little smoke, and still my favorite of the three Stokkebye flakes. Clicked on this thread because I'm smoking some right now in a small cob. Need to get the taste of that nasty Lane's Rasberry I just tried out of my mouth.
Good point that you realize you didn't get all the nuances in the first bowl. The price doesn't hurt either.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Dave (simnettpratt) sent me a very generous pack of PS LNF from his trove and it went straight into the rotation. I love it and I agree you can go bowl after bowl. The only slight issue I find is keeping it cool in the pipe to avoid tongue bite; I fold and stuff and puff slowly to avoid the heating and subsequent acid which cause bite, but this can still really nip me in mouth. That said, however, LNF is tasty and easy to work with, so I'll get the issues sorted.
Andy

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
One of my top blends, an excellent smoke. Right on for the money too!

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I would like to give it a try. I was initially turned off when I discovered it was only available in bulk, but it gets some good reviews.
While I like to rub out a flake, it seems that this one might do better not to, given the Cavendish bullseye in the center which probably does better if left intact.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Bowler1 - I think you're thinking of Luxury Bullseye Flake. Luxury Navy Flake is a standard rectangular flake, while LBF is the spun-cut version with the Cavendish center. I'm one of the ones who prefers LBF to LNF, but LNF is still a very tasty Va/Per. I cube-cut my sample, and it smoked quite well.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I only went one round with this one. I found it ok, by I'm still getting my VA smoking trousers fitted. I tend to get puffy, and as a result I get kicked in the mouth. I may hit this one up tonight as the final smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
derfargin, take your time with it, it's worth it. And it is surprising what a long smoke you can get out of a

small-bowled pipe with LNF.

Jan 8, 2013
Great blend, took me. Few bowls to get used to it, but now its a regular for me. Nice, zesty flavor. Goes great in a cob. I recently tried the Luxury Bullseye Flake also, which is similar, but a little deeper and more robust.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I've found that LNF benefits from a little drying time before smoking it. Takes some of the hot vapor away that contributes to tongue bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.