First attempt at cellaring, TOTAL disaster. Please read.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I had a couple of 2 oz mason jars of tobacco that I didn't like much and thought that maybe as my palate developed I would grow to like them so I decided to cellar them.
I read that what you do is put the jars in hot water in the sink, put the lids on after a few minutes and when they cooled they would develope a light vaccum. Well, I'm standing at the sink at the water fills up watching as two of the 5 jars begin to float and tip over before I can catch them!!! In the 30 seconds it took me to turn off the water and get the jars out of the sink they had steeped to a nice dark tobacco tea.
Do I just throw them out and call it a lesson learned?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
You don't need to do all that. Just put the tobacco in a fresh/cleaned jar, screw the top on and that's it. No need for hot water or whatever.
I wouldn't even bother with that tobacco anymore. It's soaked in water and your either going to get mold trying to dry it out or a loss of flavor since it was in water.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I always just take the jars right out the box and put the tobacco in. Screw the top on and throw a label on it....done. Never had a problem, I'm sure others would agree that this is the way to go

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I would throw the tobacco away and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Cmdrmcbragg is right, you don't need to seal the mason jars like you would to store food long term. You can do it if you want to, but it's definitely not necessary. Just screw the lid on tight and don't mess with it until you're ready to smoke it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
What cmdrmcbragg said, and if you're going to go the hot-jar route... Heat the jars without tobacco in them, then remove and dry the jars and add the tobacco to the hot jar, then lid them.
-- Pat

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
By the way, this represents about 3/4 of my tobacco so I really wanted to save it if I could. I have it spread out on plates in the oven at 150 right now, I figured it couldn't hurt...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Do I just throw them out and call it a lesson learned?
Yep.
If your water in your sink turned into a tobacco tea, which I take to mean it was discoloured from solubles being leached from the tobacco into the water, then I'd dump it and start over. Tragic? Yep. Good learning? Definitely.
Sorry, pal.
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Well as it was mentioned you did it completely wrong. Vaccum sealing the jars has the opposite affect on the tobacco. Your trying to age it not preserve its freshness so you need the little amount of air in there for it to properly undergo that process.
So i would just toss out the baccy and start with a fresh batch or if you really want put it in the oven at 450 for minimum 6 hours to try and bring it back.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Ugh... Sorry to hear about this, but I concur with the opinions already expressed - the tobacco's probably trashed, count it as a lesson learned. I wash new jars because I'm anal, but don't worry about sealing & such beyond closing them good & tight.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, that was only a couple of ounces of tobacco that you didn't like -- jarring it in the hope for some improvement.

The stuff is ruined. If you didn't care much for it before, I hardly think you'll like it after it was brewed.
...unless it was something like Mixture 79, which might actually benefit from going through the rinse cycle. :rofl:

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Sad day indeed. :crying: May the baccy rest in peace in baccy heaven.
I have never heard of this method - vacuum seal for baccy in mason jar - but then again I haven't researched anything in years. Unfortunately, I must agree with the others that have said lesson learned.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Thanks for reminding me why I was trying to cellar it in the first place.
I can't remember where I read about that method of cellaring.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I forgot where I read that the safest way to cellar in mason jars is to not even wash them. A test was done and there was no bacteria when taken right out of the box. Where if you wash and dry, there is a slightly better chance for bacteria and moisture. I'll try to find where I read this.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Funny Pylorns posted the article as I was making my post....thanks. Just realized you wrote it. Thanks again Pylorns

Status
Not open for further replies.