PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I purchased 4 pipes and an old stand for $20 on eBay soon after starting my pipe career / hobby and two of them needed some work, this particular pipe just needed reaming and some oxidation removed from the stem. I was able to make out a few letters on the pipe but today while outside in the sun I noticed I could see more at a certain angle, so after racing inside for my glasses I wrote down the name I could see then searched the Internet and found one identical.
Finally I have a name for the pipe, it's a Vintage L o P Bruyere Garantie Estate and after partial restoration I tried it and it smokes like a champ, however, the previous owner used some sort of power tool and have bit into the top of the bowl causing a step (so to speak) of a bit short of 1/4". The top of the bowl is worn and bare of the stain and polish and I was wondering if I should just gently cut the top square and finish by taking the whole bowl (except from the stamping) and redo the pipe bowl and shank to pristine condition to practice reconditioning pipes like I want to learn to do well. There are very few pipe reconditioners in Victoria, Australia and it would give me some experience as with other pipes Im planning to restore in the future.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm guessing here, but I've worked on a lot of used and abused pipes. It could be that someone tried to clean the rim of char and broke the top of the cake layer. So maybe you can chip out the cake with a dental pick or something like that. Then you can resurface and stain the rim. Assuming that's the problem not being able to see it.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It sounds like the whole rim could use some help, so you don't have much to lose. Start with a very flat surface (a piece of thick plate glass works well.) Put a piece of fine grit sandpaper on the glass and rotate the rim the pipe in a circular motion until the rim is flat. Work your way down to very fine grit and polish. You might want to stain the rim to match the rest of the bowl, since you've only got $20 invested it can't hurt too much to experiment a little.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are lots of ideas available by reading and even directly questioning the members on this website:
http://rebornpipes.com/
One of the things I've seen done on tops is to hold the strummel against a flat surface covered with sandpaper to gently achieve a more even top.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
newbroom, I actually like to read the techniques from that very website. Have been for a couple of months now.
A few years ago when I was married I used to make sterling silver jewellery and still have some of the equipment like my dremel and its accessories. I have ordered some buffing accessories specifically for wood.
I was going to cut the top down a bit still leaving enough to sand back with paper on glass as mentioned by kcvet67 above before staining to match.
Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it heaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.