Finally Pulled the Trigger

(58 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After an intensive search and looking at all the Meers out there, I decided on an IMP. I like their "high grade delrin push-pull, tenon and mortise, with a 4mm draft hole system". Of all the Meers out there, I wanted something easy to use. I went with a smooth Apple as I am not into the carvings. I believe this should smoke my flakes very nicely. I like the idea of being able to wipe the bowl and smoke it a few times a day.
    I bought it on ebay from meerschaummarket as they were excepting best offers so I got pretty good deal on it.

Here is the stats on the pipe.
    Length : 15.6 cm. = 6.15"

Bowl Height : 4.8 cm. = 1.9"

Width : 4.7 cm. = 1.85"

Chamber Diameter : 22 mm. =0.86"

Chamber Depth : 44 mm. = 1.75"

Weight: 60 gr. = 2.1 OZ

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it. I have been lusting after a smooth meer for a long time now and I can't believe I still don't have one.

Enjoy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jazz. I know what you mean, why I didn't do this sooner I will never know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely meer. Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice. If I get a meer anytime soon I could see it being very similar to that. Enjoy.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet! May your smokes be long and lovely....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys, it is appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Classy looking...

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nice choice

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your gonna love it! Many great smokes to ya...(I'm kinda partial to meers ya know)...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, good job on that one! Everything about that pipe is awesome! I have 3 Meerschaums but the draft hole is too narrow on all of them and I’m afraid to modify them myself. I love that yours has a 4mm draft hole (perfect size!) and the delrin tenon/mortise just tops it off! I bet that ones gonna color wonderfully. I don’t have the funds for another pipe at the moment but a Meer like that one is going to the top of my wish list. Congrats!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finally... congrats man, you've got great taste. May she squeeze every drop of flavor out of your tobacco, giving you the best smokes ever.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. It was the Delrin system and 4mm airway that were the selling features for me. No one else I researched had those. The Apple is one of my favorite shapes and I have a lot of them in briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I also have an IMP Apple, rusticated style - you will love it. It smokes like champ! Now I also made the mistake of getting an AKB Meer in the past, airway is so bad on it I can't even smoke it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Making the mortise/tenon system and open draft a priority is the smart way to choose a meerschaum. Many folks are drawn-in by fancy carving, only to discover that their pipe is practically unsmokeable. I'm sure you'll enjoy this one a lot.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

You bastard! I had literally sent Burak an e-mail about that exact same pipe on Tuesday asking about the position of the hole and if it was symmetrical. He said "Buy the pipe, handle it for a few days, and don't smoke it yet. If there is ANYTHING not up to your standards, send it back. I am that confident of how exceptional it is."

And what did I do? I sat on it. Had I known you had your eye on it...

You bought from a first rate seller. I have three pipes through him and they are all flawless. You're surly going to enjoy it. Just be careful about the pipe cleaner in the bottom of the bowl when wet. Over time, you might carve a small groove if you're not paying attention.

Damn it. Well, I hope you enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

A bit similar to the one I bought from SPC a couple of years back. IMP has one piece acrylic stems, and an integral mortise sleeve that doesn't come out, so none of that screw in parts business. Great grab!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everything about that pipe is awesome!

+1 Very nice meer...congrats...enjoy.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe, Congrats!!!

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good for you, you needed to switch off the Britwood to make it easier for the rest of us!

Doc

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. halfy

halfy

Login to Send PM

If you want a meet, IMP, AB or Baki is the right choice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

unadoptedlamp, I was on that pipe for a few days. I asked him if the drilling was spot on and if it passed a fluffy pipe cleaner. Then I went back and forth for trying to get him lower on the price. I told him that I was a long time customer of SP and would rather do business with them. He took my meaning and came down enough for me to buy from him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Awesome looking pipe.

I have my first one on the way, I am scared that I would like Meer pipes and I will end up buying few more!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gkr, thanks. Is that pic of Bronson from the Mechanic? I just watched it for the 30th time the other night. The pipe he smokes in that movie looks like a Dunhill ODA as it is a pretty large pipe.

I am hoping I love the meer and am able to smoke it multiple times a day. I am really getting tired of cleaning my pipes all the time(I am so anal about how I clean after every smoke, I go through 5 pipe cleaners on everyone). The thought of just wiping the bowl and letting it rest a little is really enticing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful, classy...congrats !! She looks great on that black background !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

cigrmaster- I nearly scooped you on that pipe, but knowing it's your first, I think it's better in your hands... Meerschaum's, in this particular shape, provide me some fantastic smokes, and hopefully they do the same for you. My bowls are nice and thick, and it looks like this one is too, so I expect it's going to be a very cool smoker.
    I am now considering asking for a commission of that exact shape, because I'm still a little torn about missing it! I've bought my pipes direct from him (his website) without ebay. The price is different, but fair, I think. You might find yourself getting custom meers in your favourite shapes...

And as to the safety of buying direct without ebay, again, he's a top shelf seller. I once had a pipe stem break -which was absolutely not his fault- and he had a free replacement off in the mail to me the next day. I'm pretty sure I was in Canada, but wherever it was, he picked up the international shipping. He's really into outstanding service and the quality of his meerschaum is among the best of the best, in my opinion. Personally, I'll never buy another one from anyone but him.

Just really watch the bottom of the bowl with bristle pipe cleaners. When the meerschaum is slightly moist in the bottom, you can carve a little divot over time. I put it in the shank just until I see it poke into the bowl and back off. I was a bit careless with one of my first meerschaums and carved a channel in the bottom. Still smokes great though. Even after dropping it on a tile floor... twice. That's quality block for you -but I do recommend more care.

When you get it, after the first smoke, take a good smell of the bowl after you dump the ashes out and tell me that's not one of the most intriguing and satisfying scents around. I can't get enough of that smell. You're in for a real special experience, with quality like that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking meer, may you smoke it in good health.

It must be a meerschaum time of year, I just picked up a wonderful older CAO that has me putting a serious dent in my heavy Latakia blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a great looking meerschaum pipe. I've been looking at IMP meers for a while but since I've been in T.A.D. mode, the budget isn't there for a pipe right now. Enjoy the new pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I occasionally like smoking straight blending Latakia in my Meer-lined Brebbia, and started breaking in my smaller Altinay meer pipe with it before the weather got cold, and it was quite good and I'll probably designate it as my straight-Lat pipe due to the smaller bowl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one from them that is virtually identical. It smokes great. It is coloring nicely but slowly.

Oddly it wants to build cake faster than any of my other meers or briars, even though I wipe it out after every smoke.

The feel of that smooth meer in the hand is captivating.

May it bring you a lifetime of great smokes, I’m betting it will.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I am really excited about getting it. How long do you have to wait between smokes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

How long does it take you to pack a bowl?

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About 2 minutes maybe? So it needs no cooling down, no chance of burnout?

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I'd say you're good to go. I do rest mine, after some time, but back to back bowls are no problem. I think you'll have to run a cleaner through the stem (I do), but otherwise it's fine in the bowl itself.

If you used one all day long, with say 30 minutes between bowls, I am not sure you would notice any difference.

I think they're close to impossible to burn out. I've "re-set" the colour on one of mine with a gas stove element. I held it with a small wire, stem removed, and put it directly on the flame, turning it to cook the entire pipe (mindful of plastic insert in the shank). Not overly long, but definitely long enough to cook a briar. This seemed to put the tar back in place, somewhere deep within the meershaum. When I applied wax, it turned a magical shade of yellow/orange and stayed that way. The colour just "popped". This was after about 4 months or so of steady use and no application of wax.

If you want a really rich colour, I'd try re-waxing it on occasion. Make sure all dirt is removed, then warm it up and apply a natural beeswax. If you've been smoking it for a few months, I'm sure you'll be impressed with how it colours with this treatment. It seems like there is colour "hidden" away inside until you warm it up and apply wax. And I've only noticed drastic changes if I've been smoking it for a few months. Give it a try after you've had it for awhile. It's really impressive. Just watch out for the plastic insert in the shank and pay more attention to warming the bowl (the shank will probably darken much more than the bowl on its own anyway).

I still smoke more briar than meerschaum, but my meerschaum still gets daily use. I can't see a burnout ever happening, unless there is some weird flaw you can't see. In which case, my money is on Burak refunding your pipe anyway, because they shouldn't do that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

This thread makes me want a meer. Nice pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

I had the color-popping experience that unadoptedlamp describes. I had smoked my meer for years, with only modest progressive darkening. One day I removed the stem and warmed the pipe with a gentle hair blower-type heat gun, and then I brushed it with melted white bee's wax, and BAM! -- the color magically appeared! It was amazing.

I recently heated the pipe, again with the blower, and the color retreated back into the pipe, as if moving away from the heat. But the color that remained was more uniform and less splotchy. Upon resuming the smoking, over the course of several days, the deeper color has started to return, seemingly moving outward toward the surface again, and with some freckled or mottled patches reappearing, but in different places than before. And a warm-looking dark brown color seems to have taken up permanent residence at the end of the shank, and is slowly spreading toward the bowl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Excuse the accidental rotation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

OK, I figured out the rotation quirk.

For the past few weeks I've been smoking this 5 or 6 times a day. No negative issues due to working the pipe so hard. Still delivers a sweet smoke every time -- doing nothing but using a dry pipe cleaner to run thru the shank and stem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Damn! Now I want a meer badly. Congrats Harris, that is a great looking pipe.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are both great looking pipes. I am interested in getting a meer...but they are pretty pricey. COME ON BONUS CHECK!!!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are not smoking that meer hard at only a few times a day. There was a time English officers used subordinates to keep a meer constantly in use 24/7. They wanted the meers to color quickly and look older than they were. The beauty of a meerschaum is that you can't over smoke them. I think meers are quite ugly until they gain some coloring and, the fun is in not knowing how it will color. I'm a fan of letting the pipes color naturally, many can't wait and use waxes or, other artificial means for "top" coloring until the tobacco residues do their thing. Whatever turns one's crank I suppose.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

unadoptedlamp, thanks for that post, it was most informative. I am not really concerned with the color the pipe gets, it will do what it will without any help from me as I don't intend to buy any wax. I just want to smoke it and forget it. I get enough of a work out keeping my briars clean and I bought this Meer to slow down my briar use.

Cortez, what is with the need to see a nice white pipe turn brown and ugly?

edit. Warren didn't see your post till after I posted. That is pretty cool they can be smoked that much.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got my meer in yesterday and immediately filled it with 2007 Stonehaven. I know this vintage quite well so I was excited to see how it tasted in my new meer. I packed the bowl like I would pack my briar and it was a little too tight. I had to mess with it during the smoke but figured it out. The tobacco tasted different. I have a pipe dedicated to the Stonehaven and in the meer it tasted a bit thin if that makes any sense. It was good, but not the same as my briar.

Next up I put in some Capstan Blue Flake so see what that will do. I packed it a little lighter and it burned fine and it tasted fine, but still a little weird. Today I loaded it up with a newer flake in my rotation Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. I let it dry a good 2 hours and loaded it carefully making sure it was not too tight. That bowl tasted awesome, the whole way down sweet and tasty. I have a feeling the more I smoke it the more I will get used to it. I have a bowl of 2012 Old Dark Fired ready to go in a couple of minutes and I am looking forward to seeing how it does. The stem is ok for an acrylic stem, not as hard as some I have smoked. All in all I am happy I bought it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a choice Meer, congrats. They only get better so smoke the hell out of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. jonasclark

jonasclark

Login to Send PM

I think you bought very well with that apple. It's beautiful and simple, it should smoke well and color well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. jeffro

jeffro

Login to Send PM

Excellent purchase there, cigrmaster.
    I love that IMP ! I agree the 4mm draft hole and military mount stem are a definite plus to this pipe.
    Now the hard part saving up the cash to acquire one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I have smoked it a few more times since my last post and I am enjoying it very much.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Enjoy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigrmaster

I am enjoying the Meer but after so many bowls, I have realized it will not replace my briars. Certain blends do nicely in it, but others the flavors seem thin. For example, my 2007 Stonehaven smokes better in the 2 pipes I have dedicated to it. The flavors from the Meer are not as rich or as full if that makes any sense.

If you smoke Latakia blends and are planning on smoking blends with Lat in the pipe, I encourage you to try some straight Latakia in the new meer. I occasionally smoke straight Lat, and the new meer dampened the flavors just enough to make it even more of a tasty experience. If you don't like Lat or are not going to use the pipe for it, then pardon me! =)

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or, if you like Perique blends, maybe try loading up something with extra Perique until it becomes too much, and then backing it down from there. Base that thing with straight Perique, maybe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Way too nice of a pipe for your ugly mug.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

balkisobrains, thanks for the suggestions. I don't smoke anything with latakia and don't have any Perique to add to anything. I am pretty basic in that I buy what blends I like and never mess with them. I do enjoy Butera Dark Stoved in the Meer as it is a new blend for me and I have no pipes dedicated to it. I also smoked a bowl of Dragon flake in it and that did very well. I am sure I will find other blends as I keep experimenting with it.

peck, don't be hating just because I am a chick magnet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe indeed!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't own a Meer, to avoid a whole new world of PAD, but I especially like the traditional shapes in a smooth finish, like the apple in the original post.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. civalwar

civalwar

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe

My ex-wife told me it's either me or your pipe collection. I considered that a win-win.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks great, I am sure you will love it. They are so nice and light. Enjoy!!

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  58. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments. I only looked at smooth ones in traditional shapes when I began my search. The Apple is one of my favorite shapes.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   instymp, jeff540, chasingembers, ashdigger, donjgiles, frankrem, npod