PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I live in a downtown loft that I've been trying to sell for months. I want to buy my first actual freestanding house away from the glare of city lights, to finally have space and clear night skies for my passion Astrophotographery. I'll be moving from a 600sqft loft to a 1800sqft home. I'll also finally have a "library" for smoking and other hobbies. I can't begin to express my excitement!! Assuming, and it's a big assumption, all goes as planned, I'll be in my new house in a few weeks.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Congratulations! I remember when I moved into my first house. I didn't have much furniture so I put a kitchen chair in the living room and cranked up the stereo super loud, thinking... this is cool.
I used to really be into Astronomy back in the 70's-80's. I built a little motor that I hooked up to my 10 inch reflector ( a cheap DS-10). Took mostly black and whites, then developed them myself.
Have fun in your humble abode.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Glad for you Nate, I know the feeling, 3 years living in a motor home, working on Old House, going to storage unit for everything. People that haven't had that experience don't really appreciate what they've got. Again Nate enjoy Buddy you've earned it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds like a great move, and you'll be very happy there!
Just yesterday we moved out of an apartment in the city that we had been using only occasionally. Now we are full time bumpkins!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks everyone!! There's something quite special at the prospect of owning four walls, a roof, and the land about you. Being on disability and having nothing but free time to fill, I look forward to the simple things like mowing a lawn. Till now I've lived in one big room and the prospect of having rooms is exciting as well!

This is likely my next home :) just perfect for a solo guy.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Congrats man! Moved myself recently. AMAZEING how much stuff I thought was good enough to keep looks like junk to get rid of when you have to pack and move it! Turns out de-junking was almost as exciting as the bigger house.
Plugugly

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Looks like about a 1940s style with some Craftsman influence- should be very nice!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Very nice, congratulations and enjoy. Brace yourself, your PAD money will probably evaporate (at least for a while). Home ownership is known to have that effect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That porch is made for pipe smoking. Glider already installed. Puff-puff.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Beautiful place and from the right side of the pic it looks like there is a great view from the rear of the house.
Mark

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congrats Nate.

It's quite liberating moving out to the country in your own house....... Looks like that porch is made for smoking too.... :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Welcome to club Nate. Old Irish saying: "You don't own the land, the land owns you." Nothing like a bit of sod you can call your own.
I don't do a lot of sky shooting myself. An aurora shot now and then is all or a scenic with the moon. What kind of gear are you using? Deep sky? Inquiring minds want to know.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Buying a first true house is very exciting! Can't wait!
Warren, always glad to meet a fellow fan of the night sky! You know, I've yet to witness an aurora myself. I went to school in Bozeman, MT where the night sky is just insane, something I'd never seen before. It's a fact that a very large portion of the population has never truly a truly dark sky. I wish I'd discovered astrophotography when I was there, but at the time was busy observing the night sky while under the influence of psychedelics.

Being on disability and having nothing but time to fill, astrophotography seemed the perfect pursuit. There's more to learn than could be done in 20 lifetimes. I dove into the deep end of the pool, the seriously deep end. After MUCH research I bought my dream setup. An FSQ-106EDXIII, a stellarvue 90mm Raptor, a paramount MX+, paramount portable pier, a QSI683WSG-8 CCD, lodestar X2 guide cam, astrodon 5nm filters, and pretty much every accessory made for this setup inc batteries, dew heaters, eyepieces, extender/reducer, etc, etc. To those not into such things, buying a house and moving out of town just for a hobby seems a bit overkill, but we must go where our passions take us.

Status
Not open for further replies.