PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have been pipe smoking for about 6 years and learned about Cellaring tobacco about 3 years ago. At that time I set various goals and I have finally met one of them. I have hit 50 tins of Escudo. Escudo is my favorite tobacco. Thanks to a financial gift for pastor appreciation day I was able to finally hit the goal. What kind of tobacco do you guys cellar? Have any goals like this? Here is a pic.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Yes. My first goal is to start a cellar. I want to put aside a few tins of 221b for gifts in years to come. I intend to take two of the four ounces of PS Bullseye Flake I just ordered and put that aside as the start of my cellar.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's an impressive amount of dedication to a single blend! Congrats on hitting a milestone.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I set various goals and I have finally met one of them."
Sweet, and good for you. In the small tin part of my Cellar, I have 43 Cooper and 46 Tudor Castle, my two most favored blends. I have not set any goals per se, but will be adding more. It is nice to see the tins adding up. I plan on five years plus of aging of my cellar blends.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't necessarily have aging goals. I like it fresh and have had it aged. Bought a 10 year old tin awhile back. For me it was more about stocking up for the eventual price hike, but aged is good,,What I tend to do is open the newer tins of a blend when I have multiple so the older ones keep aging. In this case I plan to buy more as I have need to smoke and leave these to age at least 5 years. Some have 3 years on them already. I also have 25 Cut Virginia Plug and 25 Brigaid campaign Dark Flake aging. My next two favorites. And about 20lbs total in tins. I don't smoke everyday either so that will last me awhile. But as I have funds available I'm sure I will add stuff here and there.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm naive to long-term cellaring so forgive me if this is a silly question. Does this mean you opened all of them first? I've heard that the vaccuum seals don't allow much aging. Or are the dates when you purchased them? Would love to learn more in case I want to do something similar (albeit probably on a smaller scale).

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
In those round tins they age nicely

I have about 35 tins of Royal Yacht and 20 of Escudo
With some of the 3.5oz square tins and some of the larger C&D tins...i open them and then seal a mason jar.

Look around on the forums Michael you'll find more cellar info than you can handle

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah most tins seal well and thus the tobacco ages. The dates are when I purchased them and so around the time they were sealed. Escudo doesn't date their tins but many other companies so so you have a more accurate idea of the age. Such as McClelland. You can also find already aged tins on the market. I just bought some 20 year old McClellands Navy Cavendish from pipe stud for example. I'll try to post a pic of fresh and aged escudo later to give you an example of the difference.

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
Congrats on reaching the goal. It's very impressive to see all of that in one place.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
My goal was to have 5 pounds in my cellar by the end of the year. I started in May and thanks to the H&H sale last month I've hit my goal.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
whenever I see people posting about their cellars I feel happy and a tad envious. here (turkey) besides an abundance of pipes, there is only two tobaccos sold legally. rest of the stuff is smuggled so tobacco is a really scarce find for the turkish pipe smoker... :D

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Gratz on the achievement. I put a bit too much cash into the recent H&H sale and acquired a few blends I don't really care for. Obsidian being one one them. I should have stuck with my original plan and spent the cash on black frigate.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well done. I miss working in ministry where I got gifts like that (we were once given a $2500 free pass to a furniture store from a virtual stranger).
As a nursing supervisor, I don't get much. Got a coffee gift card for boss's day recently. :)

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have 42 tins of Old Shenandoah Barrel #76 and looking for more when it is on sale. Escudo is one of my favorites for "occasions".

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice! Way to go. That's a nice stash of Escudo for sure. :puffy:
I was shooting for a dozen tins and was happy when I reached that. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.