Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Finally got my first pipe!

(23 posts)
  1. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

Finally got my first pipe today! I've been searching for one locally and managed to find one at Rite-Aid, of all places. Its a Dr Grabow, bent Omega. Nothing fancy but enough to get me started. Tobacco is also slim pickings around here, I ended up picking Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. I remember liking the moist tobaccos over the dry but beggars can't be choosers! Still need to get a pipe tool as well, no place around here has them - go figure, gotta love a small town.

I'm looking forward to learning from these forums and making some new friends. I love how active and living the community is here and I plan on staying for the long haul!

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard! That's a good pipe and tobacco. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Remember, relights are part of it. Don't forget to tamp, but gently.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grabow pipes are good starters, still have a few in my rotation, try to find some cob pipes, good smokers. Obviously you are on line so look up Missouri Meerschaum and get some cobs, they also have tools and their line of tobacco, Independence Day is good IMHO. MM products are also available on Amazon, Ebay and most of the Tobacco sites.

As far as tobacco goes I would suggest Captain Black, Dunhill EMP and Carter Hall, if you have to by on-line may as well get 1 oz sampler packs of a large variety and discover what your tastes are. Frog Morton have excellent blends as do many other

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. I started with a Grabow Omega and it's a nice starter pipe. I still smoke mine.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. I cut my pipe smoking teeth on a Dr. Graybow pipe, still smoke it from time to time.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nothing at all wrong with a Grabow and +1 for MM cobs. I've never smoked BR but I can't count how many post I've read where people slam it for biting them. Anyway just be cautious and don't puff it like a freight train and you'll probably be ok. Slow sips are the way to go with most any tobacco. Less/non aromatics like Carter Hall or Prince Albert are great for breaking in a new pipe and also for dialing in your smoking technique. Just give it plenty of time.......we've all been there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the world of pipe smoking. Lots to learn and no one way is best. Figure out what works best for you and be patient. Enjoy your pipe and just relax and every day will be a good one.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

Had my first smoke using the pipe tonight. It was really good! Took me twice to really get it down to where I can keep it lit. I was using a Bic lighter and it was a bit difficult to use.

@skydog I think I know what you mean by the 'bite', while smoking it made my tongue 'tingle'? Almost like I had eaten something spicy. I'm assuming that is the bite you are referring too, that's the only way I can describe the sensation.
    It was interesting Ill tell you that.

I also found it hard to pack dry tobacco, I don't have a tool so I just used my finger.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep, that was the bite alright. It could be the tobacco itself or you could be puffing too hard and too often in your quest to keep it going. That's the thing about starting out with goopers (aromatics) when learning to smoke.......they're usually hard to keep lit because of all the casing, topping, and pg. Sip it slow, watch your cadence, and don't worry about the relights for now. Also try moving the pipe around to different locations in your mouth and don't let it concentrate in one spot too long. You might also try sipping on some cold ice water every few minutes. Tongue bite is nothing to fool around with and you can actually do some damage if you're not careful. Personally I would put the BR down for now and try learning with something more beginner friendly like Carter Hall or Prince Albert. And if you need a make shift pipe tool for now you can always use a golf tee or roofing nail. Stick with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just adding my Welcome to the Welcomers! Great to see new and enthusiastic people coming aboard! Hope for the future!

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

@skydog Thanks again, your information as well as that of others has been most helpful. I found a store that sells pipe tools and tobacco, its a bit of a jaunt but I should be able to head over there just to get the tool and maybe a bag or two of some other tobacco. I remember seeing the Prince Albert in a pouch when I picked up the BR, wasn't sure if that was any good though. I kept remember the Prince Albert in a can jokes and mentally passed on it, lol.

Thanks again for the welcomes everyone! Having a good time already.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

BR is infamous for bite. Try a Stokkebye flake if you can get it, never bites me.-

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

@panamacharlie I would have to order that online and just can't right now. The BR is going to have to do for now. I'ts not to bad to me, it can get me if I puff to much - its a good reminder for when I'm rushing it lol.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. oldsalt

oldsalt

Login to Send PM

Congratulations and welcome!

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

@oldsalt Thank you! I'm loving this forum and enjoying all the posts and information.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

Golf Tee makes a great tamper, the pocket knife I carry also works perfect.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

@seagullplayer I never thought to use either of those....I have a pipe tool now though. Ill have to keep those in mind just in case I lose it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

emsjunky

Login to Send PM

I have a bent omega in my rotation. Always a reliable pipe. Never had any trouble with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome lotharen.
    You express the right attitude for succeeding at this ancient rite.
    If you didn't burn your tongue to the point of absurd pain with Borkum Riff as your first blend, you're ahead of the curve!
    There must be enough demand for the stuff, but it gets very little respect here.
    Have fun and many many happy smokes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

@emsjunky I'm loving it so far. I'm sure Ill hold on to it just to remember my introduction into the pipe world.

@newbroom Thank you very much. After smoking several other blends I can say Borkum Riff isn't my cup of tea - Ill finish off what I have but I doubt I will ever purchase it again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the nicest and most helpful forum on the internet. I've just started down this road and gotten nothing but great advice here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

unclescot

Login to Send PM

@mikethompson @newbroom A newbie here, but I know you're already right from Lotharen's point of view. If I'd discovered right away that Borkum Riff wasn't that respected... Ahh, who am I kidding? I'd already started using YouTube how-to's to get started.

emsjunky: you keep a bent omega as a tamper? Well, to each his own...

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaq6q

Login to Send PM

Welcome and congratulations!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, loadclear, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar, donjgiles