PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
I am, at this very moment, about to light up my first bowl of latakia-containing tobacco... wish me luck.
P.S. Frog Morton on the bayou is the blend in question.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
This is reminding me of the crust on a steak with Colgin's liquid smoke added... and burnt toast.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
When I bought my first real pipe, a Peterson (hey, no snarky comments!), I bought a tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou to go with it. Haven't smoked it in ages, but I did smoke some regular Frog Morton for the first time in a long time recently. They're both pretty yummy and they always bring back memories of when I first started smoking a pipe.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
Well , that was something else. I am used to having to tease my blends a little to get the flavor. This was more of a: Bam! In your face, kind of thing. That said, it was not as harsh as I thought it would be. Now I feel silly for having avoided it. I suppose I was just put off by that somewhat acrid smell. All in all, I enjoyed that!

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats on your first foray into the world of latakia. Now you'll be wanting to try other blends. One of my favorites is McClelland Balkan Blue (previously called Blue Mountain).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's why I think beginners should at least be steered toward trying Latakia blends -- there's no mistaking the taste, whereas VAs will just taste like hot air to the uninitiated and aromatics almost never taste like they smell. Can't say that about Latakia -- smells like burning tires, tastes like burning tires.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Early Morning Pipe I another good one to start with.
Oh, and welcome to the dark side. Soon you need to just go all in and fire up some Gaslight. There's no going back after that. Woohooo!!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear you enjoyed that smoke.

I too am just starting to play around with stronger blends.

The Frog Morton blends are on my very loooooong list of tobacco blends I want to try. :puffy:

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I really enjoy all the Frogs. They were my first venture into the world of Latakia and perique. Since you liked that get you some Dunhill my mixture 965. Very good and mild stuff. Congrats being willing to step outside yourself and try something new. I know I for one have to force myself to try different blends and have been shocked at how many I like. There have been a few that weren't my cup of tea but hey at least I tried. Try that my mix 965 and let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.