Finally Found a Churchwarden That I Like!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Some 30 years ago I had two churchwardens that I bought because I liked their looks. However, I seldom smoked them as they always felt awkward to smoke, so I eventually sold them. A couple of months ago my wife and I were talking about churchwardens for whatever reason, and she said she was surprised I didn't have one. Well, talk about an open invitation! So I've been looking for a while for one that I liked the looks of, wasn't too long and was priced right.
I finally found one a few days ago that I really like the looks of. It's a Butz Choquin and only 10" long, has calabash bowl that is quite deep. It didn't need much clean up as it had been very lightly smoked. Loaded it up last night with some GLP Sextant and was quite surprised how much I liked smoking it. Maybe it's because I am now somewhat of a couch potato, and have a handy little belly for my arm to rest on. My wife is now worried that I'll want another one, or two... :mrgreen:
img_1089-600x405.jpg

img_1091-600x358.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That is a really nice looking pipe! Those BC pipes are pretty underrated in the smoking department, I think. Congratulations!!

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Nice looking pipe. I sometimes get on a kick where I want a churchwarden also. Never lasts long enough for purchase though. Maybe if I bought more than 1 pipe per year, but another pipe always takes priority.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
Nice pipe. I am not familiar with BC's pipes, you've inspired me to learn more. I am always keeping an eye open for a good Churchwarden, unfortunately I have yet to find one that Is comfortable enough to smoke regularly.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Very nice, Ive got a few Church Wardens but only one that I occasionally smoke. I enjoy it when I do but find that sitting in my chair with my built in " armrest " is the only comfortable place to smoke it. It's easy to forget about until you open a door or cupboard :oops:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've smoked this pipe three times so far, and I have to say it is one of the best smoking pipes I have. I'm not sure why, it just works for me, is comfortable to hold, and has a nice draw with no fuss or muss, and I like the shape of the calabash bowl. As wyfbane says, BC pipes are fairly underrated pipes, as are most French pipes as far as I can tell. For some reason they don't hold the same cachet or fame of English, Italian, or Danish pipes. I'm not sure why, because every French pipe I've smoked is as good as anything else I've smoked. Odd that the country of origin of the briar pipe gets little respect here in the US. It's ok by me, as it keeps the prices down on some really good pipes like this one. The only thing I have against a few French pipes is that some manufacturers use a lacquer finish which I don't normally like. But then so some other pipe makers. No, most French pipes are not of the quality of a fine hand made pipe, but for the money they seem hard to beat. Meh, just my opinion...

damien

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
Hello, wow that looks good. I smoke a clay 16". If you know anyone who is interested in purchasing the clay style, I have a collection of never used 50 plus years old ones. Im based in the UK. PS I agree about the French ....I say go Dutch! Your BC looks great!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BC's are excellent, and churchwardens are the perfect pipe for smoking sitting down. You barely have to lift your elbow from the arm of the chair. Contemplative. The churchwarden in my photo at left is a Savenelli 601. I also have a Big Ben Lectura and an Ewa 10".

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
I am new to pipe smoking. As a beginner, I bought a cheep churchwarden like f.e.s.s pipe and some cherry captain black. But I am ready to move on to better churchwardens.

& better tobaccos. I am a retired physicist from Stanford university physics department-modern alchemist wizard. so the long stem churchwardens go with my whole wizard persona. I notice that long stem churchwardens are not that expensive even the real ones. Anyone know of a good long stem church that costs a lot with excellent workmanship? Don't mine paying more for a real good one Thanks guys.

Jan 8, 2013
Vauen's Auenland line are great. I have three and love them.
One of these days I'm going to have to get one of those. Neerup is putting out some amazing looking wardens right now, also. And some of Nordings churchwardens look quite nice as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Much respect is due French pipes, since France is where the briar pipe originated. France has among the oldest and most deeply founded pipe making culture. The classic English shapes mostly originated in France. When a pipe is stamped "France," it's probably made there. England, maybe.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
That's a rather nice BC and Churchwarden to boot. I love a good Churchwarden and have several different sizes and lengths, yours should be a great smoker as I think BC pipes are underrated, enjoy.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.