PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
A couple of weeks ago I got a MM Diplomat which came with a filter. Figured I might as well see how smoking with a filter was like and left it in and gave it a shot. Didn't notice anything different from smoking my briars or my unfiltered eaton cob. Tossed the filter before my second smoke and ended up sucking back a whole lot of ash and bits of tobacco. I got a box of medico filters now for it to stop that issue. So my question is, is it possible to smoke a cob like this without a filter? Does the stem piece that protrudes into the bowl eventually burn away and stop this? Or should I be prepared to keep filters on hand for this pipe? Thanks in advance for all the help.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i chunk the filter on all my cobs before i smoke em....
btw, my mm of choice is the diplomat.
it just takes practice on loading the pipe, or you can get a non-filter stem for it.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I like the filters. They don't hurt the quality of the smoke any. The way I see it, all that moisture and tar that ends up in the filter would have ended up in my mouth. They're inexpensive, so I keep a bunch on hand.
I think I'm one of the few here who likes them.

As always --- experiment.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Same response as maduro and coalsmoke.

I like the wide open draw of a cob w/o the filter, have as yet to draw anything through. Having said that I s'pose I've just set myself up for a 1st time!

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Im with some of the others on this. My MM Cob of choice is the Diplomat as well and all paper filters get tossed in the garbage. I havent had the problems you mentioned so far.
I have tried smoking them with the filter left in a couple of times though. I found the draw slightly reduced and the flavor of the smoke seemed a bit "flat." The filters aren't for me.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to experiment a bit with my packing technique with this one, or just wait until the stem burns away before going filter free. Could be I wasn't expecting as big of a draw without the filter the time I did try it. Looks like I'll be doing a couple of tests this week.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I never use a filter, and never have had a problem with ash or bits of tobacco in 52 years of smoking cobs. A looser pack and slower puffing should solve any issues.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
When I purchased my first cob, I probably smoked 4 or 5 bowls before removing the filter. To me the draw just felt more restricted than I would have liked. It takes a little practice on packing it right and puffing on it light enough to stop from inhaling ash and bits of baccy. Without the filter it's such a wide open draw, you don't really need to inhale very hard. I guess i'm just another face in the "remove the filter" crowd :)

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I totally chucked the cheap plastic filter stems with my MM cobs and bought two Forever Stems (nonfiltered). They are GREAT! I would recommend them for anyone. Here's the link.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Pack loose. A lot looser then you think works very well. Just experiment. Filterless is kinda like going condemless. :)

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I've had a similar problem with a Grabow and have experimented with and without the filter, I'll use the filter.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm with jaybird and Phillip. I don't find the draw to be restricted enough to limit my enjoyment nor do I find any flavor loss, so I use the filters in my cobs and Grabows.
-Jason

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
I just got a Diplomat as well, and just smoked my first bowl out of it with some PA. And yes, I tossed the filter as soon as I got it. I haven't noticed a difference in taste, but I just prefer the draw better. I don't notice getting any bits or ash i my mouth.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I tend to prefer using a filter, but whatever works for you. I found the falcon international filters do a better job than the medico ones. That said all my corn cobs got destroyed or given away in one case, so I'll have to replace them soon enough. Gods know I'd appreciate them for winter, since they last just the right amount of time for walking to campus.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
When I got a MM corn cob, the shop put in a handful of filters. I started without the filter and had the same problem. In fact, I was smoking outside after dark, and actually saw a glowing ember as it shot up the amber stem heading towards the back of my throat! I used the filters provided and got a dozen or so bowls smoked before running out of filters. So, not having got round to buying any replacement filters, I tried it again without and didn't have any problems at all. I think the difference was, the way the bottom of the bowl changes during the first dozen smokes. It becomes more rounded as the shank partly burns away and the gaps either side fill with ash. This makes the bottom of the bowl much more rounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.