Filterless 9mm Pipe Are NOT Reverse Calab—ARGH!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, months earlier, about the time the term 'reverse calabash' got some attention here due to MM's release of their Reverse Coblabash Limited Edition 2018, I pondered in one thread whether a 9mm pipe smoked without the filter would make for an impromptu reverse calabash. I never got around to experiment with my Vauen, till last Saturday when I, having realised that the funny plasticky taste I was getting when smoking said pipe was not due to the coating, but to the Dr Perl filter, decided to smoke it without the filter.
So, I dried a pipeful of Sillem's Schwarz, packed it (too tightly, by the way), and fired it up.
It was a most unpleasant experience.
From the charring light I got a stingy, scorching sensation in my tongue. The blend is top notch: one of those blends that taste as they smell—a rarity, but even sipping was uncomfortable. Relights, which were continuous due to my poor packing, were agony, so I stopped after 1/4 of the bowl, and went upstairs to swish some hot water in my mouth, take 10 drops of Hamamelis virginiana (30C) for the burn, and have some hot tea to accelerate the tongue healing process. I kept the unfinished pipe in the rack, thinking of trying to finish the bowl some other day, this time with the filter in place.
I felt fine by Monday, but still decided to wait on the pipe and had a Pleiades cigar instead.
To-day, I decided to finish the bowl and upon grabbing the pipe and removing the mouthpiece to insert the filter, I wanted to slap myself around a bit with a large trout:
I had forgotten to insert the adaptor last Saturday. No wonder I was burning myself like hell.
So, having inadvertently conducted my experiment, my results yield that 9mm pipes smoked without filter or adaptor make poor reverse calabash pipes. Nie wieder!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Just make some. Visit your local hobby shop and get a sheet of balsa wood. Nice, sharp blade and Bob's your uncle)))

Another great choice I stabled upon - brown craft paper. Cut & roll. Great moisture absorbent.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Any effects of that paper on flavour?
The Dr Perl filter behaved to-day, I only got its taste when the pipe had gone out. Maybe it works better for more flavoured blends; but when I tried a bowl of that Anniversary Kake, I couldn't taste anything but filter.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have a couple Peterson pipes that are 9mm, a 106 and a 69, both are silver hinged lids. I find they work great with no filter. In fact I have never put a filter in either of them. I do get a somewhat, albeit small, reverse calabash effect from them. The smoke is cooler and drier than non-filtered versions of the same shape. Also, when I take them apart to clean them, the filter area has a lot of moisture built up in it.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I suspect your loose pack contributed more to the tongue bite than did the pipe. Next time pack more densely than usual to accommodate the increased airflow. Might help.

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, I have to assume the too tight of a pack was the cause of the fiery flaming burning 4 alarm inferno of the tongue. Ouch! I have a few 9mm pipes, and I smoke them without the filter or the insert. I like the open draw I get with them. It's always best to pack a little looser than normal, in my opinion. You can always tamp down a bit to tighten it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.