PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Recently I had to turn to using RYO type filters in my corn cob, having run out of the falcon international ones I was using. This was working fine til last friday when the filter got stuck in the stem of the cob. I've tried to retrieve it with my pipe tool to no joy. Would anyone have any advice for it? I would throw it out but I've only got this and my churchwarden at the minute and thats not suited to aromatics, so I need to get this smoking again. (I'm also aware I'll get disparaged for using a filter. I dont like chewing tobacco and getting a jet of hot air when I'm smoking, so sue me.)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Paper clip . Straighten it out and put a little hook on the end. slide it up alongside the filter and hook it out.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
have you tried soaking it?may be able to get it wet enuff to poke it out with a pipe cleaner and FYI Doc grabow filters work in cobs as well

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
First thing I do when I get a cob is remove the filter before the first smoke. I would think soaking the filter would make it even harder to remove, as it will probably swell even more.
What I would try is inserting a sheetrock screw into the filter and then pull it out. And of course, then never replace the filter. :)

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Don't listen to 'em punkpiper. About chucking the filter, that is. I have dozens of filter pipes of different varieties, about 65% of my collections are filtered in fact, and I love every one of them. It's all about your preference, and if you've found what you like and can adjust your smoking to it, then all the better for you.
And it sounds like using a small screw as a corkscrew would be your safest & easiest remedy for removal.

Jul 12, 2011
say that again baron, can't wait to get that new fire swirl stem from him to install on my brand-new MM-Egg cob

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
The only filtered pipe I smoke are Savinelli's with the balsa wood filters, I can't stand paper filters in a pipe.
Yes, but replace Savinelli with Brigham for me. Other filter pipes get cut down Brigham filters to reduce the draw to something I can't park my truck in/suck entire flakes through (cobs).
To Be honest i have never heard of a filter in a pipe. is this like those stinger things? [:?:]
Sean; 6mm paper (or balsa) filters fit inside the tenon, as the smoke passes over the cardboard baffles (or porous wood), it condenses and absorbs some of the tars/liquid/nasty-crap. There are also 9mm activated charcoal (or, once again, balsa) filter pipes; the theory is the same, but with charcoal as opposed to paper. The biggest draw-back of filter pipes is that you cannot pass a pipe-cleaner with them in.

Enter the Brigham filter - a tube of rock-maple with an aluminum "gromet" (for lack of a better word) at one end. Once again, as the smoke passes over the aluminum/maple, it cools and any nastyness is soaked up by the maple, but being drilled through, they do accept a pipe-cleaner.
The balsa (Sav.) and maple (Brigham) filters also have the added advantage of being re-usable; a quick rinse under the tap, a few hours drying time, and you are ready to go (for 30 odd smokes), while the paper filters turn disgusting rather quickly. I can't speak for the 9mm filters, as I don't actually have any pipes that will accept these!

Status
Not open for further replies.