Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Filter stuck in a corn cob

(17 posts)
  1. punkpiper

punkpiper

Login to Send PM

Recently I had to turn to using RYO type filters in my corn cob, having run out of the falcon international ones I was using. This was working fine til last friday when the filter got stuck in the stem of the cob. I've tried to retrieve it with my pipe tool to no joy. Would anyone have any advice for it? I would throw it out but I've only got this and my churchwarden at the minute and thats not suited to aromatics, so I need to get this smoking again. (I'm also aware I'll get disparaged for using a filter. I dont like chewing tobacco and getting a jet of hot air when I'm smoking, so sue me.)

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Paper clip . Straighten it out and put a little hook on the end. slide it up alongside the filter and hook it out.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

no good can come of filters

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

have you tried soaking it?may be able to get it wet enuff to poke it out with a pipe cleaner and FYI Doc grabow filters work in cobs as well

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. smokindawg

smokindawg

Login to Send PM

First thing I do when I get a cob is remove the filter before the first smoke. I would think soaking the filter would make it even harder to remove, as it will probably swell even more.

What I would try is inserting a sheetrock screw into the filter and then pull it out. And of course, then never replace the filter.

Steve: Pipemaker in Training!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good ideas. Once you get it out don't use filters. I chuck mine the minute I get a pipe that has one.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't listen to 'em punkpiper. About chucking the filter, that is. I have dozens of filter pipes of different varieties, about 65% of my collections are filtered in fact, and I love every one of them. It's all about your preference, and if you've found what you like and can adjust your smoking to it, then all the better for you.

And it sounds like using a small screw as a corkscrew would be your safest & easiest remedy for removal.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Get unclearthur to make you a new stem. I love the unclearthur stem on my cob.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

say that again baron, can't wait to get that new fire swirl stem from him to install on my brand-new MM-Egg cob

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. harrier52

harrier52

Login to Send PM

Meh i used filters depending on the pipe but i use the balsa ones from savinelli.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only filtered pipe I smoke are Savinelli's with the balsa wood filters, I can't stand paper filters in a pipe.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To Be honest i have never heard of a filter in a pipe. is this like those stinger things?

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only filtered pipe I smoke are Savinelli's with the balsa wood filters, I can't stand paper filters in a pipe.

Yes, but replace Savinelli with Brigham for me. Other filter pipes get cut down Brigham filters to reduce the draw to something I can't park my truck in/suck entire flakes through (cobs).

To Be honest i have never heard of a filter in a pipe. is this like those stinger things? [:?:]

Sean; 6mm paper (or balsa) filters fit inside the tenon, as the smoke passes over the cardboard baffles (or porous wood), it condenses and absorbs some of the tars/liquid/nasty-crap. There are also 9mm activated charcoal (or, once again, balsa) filter pipes; the theory is the same, but with charcoal as opposed to paper. The biggest draw-back of filter pipes is that you cannot pass a pipe-cleaner with them in.
    Enter the Brigham filter - a tube of rock-maple with an aluminum "gromet" (for lack of a better word) at one end. Once again, as the smoke passes over the aluminum/maple, it cools and any nastyness is soaked up by the maple, but being drilled through, they do accept a pipe-cleaner.

The balsa (Sav.) and maple (Brigham) filters also have the added advantage of being re-usable; a quick rinse under the tap, a few hours drying time, and you are ready to go (for 30 odd smokes), while the paper filters turn disgusting rather quickly. I can't speak for the 9mm filters, as I don't actually have any pipes that will accept these!

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

damn cob smokers at it again.....

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  15. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh i see thanks

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. juozapas

juozapas

Login to Send PM

Filters are good...no ooowie gooowies and less icky tar.

"If light travels faster than sound, is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?"
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I for one see no need for filters and I have tried many times to like them... It just isn't for me!

Mason jars and bale top jars, mason jars and bale top jars.... that is all!

"There’s truth in the statement that pipe tobacco will never be any less expensive than it is today, so think of your cellar as a cost averaged investment" - G.L. Pease
    Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   3rdguy, nhhiggy, tobacconut, olkofri, ashdigger, hugodrax, alaskanpiper, pitchfork, gatorlope, jaytex969, renfield, cortezattic, glassjapan