PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Very recently I got me two brand new Ashton* Pebble grain pipes, Very pleased with these, good value and smokes well, however, there is one thing with which I'm not so pleased, and this is the button part of the stem which is unbelievably high and something uncorfortable to my likings,now shall I consider filing the button edges down on these pipes? Overall these stems are very well finished and high-quality materials so I have no complaints whatsoever on craftsmanship. Thanks for the tips,

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Personally, if I was unhappy with how they sit in my mouth or while clenching, then I would consider doing the minimal work I could that still allowed me to enjoy them. If I could put one of those softy bits on the end and that solve the problem, I might do that before I try to file it down, but if that didn't work, then I'd find a file that could take some material down without taking too much. Maybe it would take a while, but I'm sure I could sculpt it to my liking. That's just me. I'm all up for a little customization of a pipe stem if I can make it more comfortable.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Id proablly try non permanent solutions first but if was my pipe i wouldnt be afraid to modify it sober atleast. I have done self hair cuts and beard trims intoxicated with the intention of only removing a little and that goes sideways real quick.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I have fixed a bunch of them. I'm pretty anal about buttons. Get some calipers and measure your favorite stems. The mistake I keep making is underestimating how much rough material you will lose taking it down to a 10000 grit polish. Get some very fine files, some 300, 400, 600 grit paper and some micromesh sanding pads. LESS IS MORE!
I'd go as far as saying go half as far as you think you should. Take it all the way to the finished state, and then decide if you want to keep going. Once you sand/polish them down to fine buttons, you won't have much left to repolish 10 years from now. So only go halfway now.
I struggle with opening up slit to pass cleaners. I do it fine, but it looks more a bunch of holes and not a clean, perfectly flat surface. I'm always going too fast though. Slow down!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Paul, it is your pipe. If you want to drill holes in the bowl and sequin the stem, go for it! But I will parrot what Matt said and say go the route of least resistance first - softie bits. If that doesn't work then you bring out the sandpaper.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank You Boys for Your input, Much appreciated,

Photoshots in attachment,

Models,Canadian and Lovat

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/paulie66scandinavian/album/picture/30178
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/paulie66scandinavian/album/picture/30177

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/paulie66scandinavian/album/picture/30117

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I guess it depends on your future intentions for the mentioned pipes. If you want to sell them or pass them on than it may be better to leave them alone and try the softie bits.
I personally buy pipes with the intention of keeping them for life so I would not hesitate to modify a button if I didn't like it.
tkcolo nailed it as far as the process should go. Maybe you could practice on a cheaper basket pipe first just to get the feel for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't done this, admitted. But as pipe modifications go, and done by hand rather than Dremel or similar, I think you could do a good job. I'd go slow and wipe it down and check it every twenty minutes, since you can't put any material back. I don't want to be aware of the button on a stem at all. I smoke my one P-Lip as a change of pace, but wouldn't buy a second one. Make it how you like it, so you thoroughly enjoy the pipe, I'd say.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I would echo what others have suggested. I look at pipes as tools. If they don't work for me, I either modify them or they go down the road. If you chose to modify, go slowly.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I reduced the button on a Jirsa bent bulldog with an acrylic stem, and it went from being a constant annoyance to being one of my most comfortable clenchers. Go for it!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a Peterson Rosslare 999 that felt like I had a 2x4 in my mouth. I filed, sanded and polished the bit to my liking and now I smoke it. Win win.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All Right Gents, Thank You for sharing Your thoughts, I real do appreciate Your helpfulness and input,now let us getting back to these Ashtons,just as of right now this morning I have been trying to smoke em with softy bits inserted, then I went on and tried wrapping these stems with three thin layers of Parafilm,and now the final experiment was done with non adhesive transparent silicone tape,The results as of my experiment were like:The use of softy bites are out of question,when using those softies I felt like if I had an adjustable wrench in my mouth,lol, whereas these tapes gave more or less satisfactory results.
So,presumably,I don't have anything left but to modify these stems with time,patience and right tools on hand.Otherwise these Asthons smoke very well and effortlessly right off the bat, stems were meticulously finished and fitted, draw and airflow is something comparable to what we have on Castellos,and now when I'm comparing these to my Castellos or Savinellis for that matter, I have come to conclusion the stem design on these Ashtons may leave something to desire,so If You ask me would I buy another Ashton?Probably not but instead with a bit of more money I'd have been perhaps opting for a brand new Castello.@ MikeThopson;Sure replacing stems with new ones thats an idea and worth considering,but at this very point the rates what this operation will bring along,I just can't afford nor justify these especially when I already had dropped a bundle of money buying these.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey Paul. Best of luck in whatever you choose.
If you decide to modify, I would ask that you please post before and after pics? Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Beware, some modern Castello buttons are huge! So, choose carefully. Can't say that I didn't warn you about Craig Ashtons, they're not my cup of tea.
Fixing an acrylic stem button (or vulcanite) is relatively simple, if you have the tools:

File to suit, smooth with 400>800>1000>1500>2000 papers, then micromesh (8000>12000) and then buff with white diamond.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey ssjones
Just to clarify... The sanding processes should be done wet correct? I used to be an automotive re-finisher (painter) and I would add a few drops of dawn dish soap to the water when wet sanding prior to buffing. Not sure if that applies here but it really helped when wet sanding clearcoats.
I'm getting ready to start my first restoration on a pre-transition Barling's Make and it needs some stem work. Really don't want to mess it up.
Also want to knock down a few buttons on some of my newer pipes. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@ SSJones, Yes Sir,$ 450 lesson learned,prior to buying I could have been paying more attention to written reviews on these pipes, Thank You for Your advice,much appreciated.

@ PanHandler,Thank You, I will try posting picts once I'm done,this may take some time though,one Positive thing is these do smoke very nicely and effortlessly,without heating issues,and are quite light weight, good clenchers apart from these stems being somewhat bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.