PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
or succumbing? Looking at some beautiful Ardors, and they look really nice. And of course a B&M guy tells me there’s “such a big difference” in a $300 briar - as compared to the crap I smoke I guess. I'm wondering how much I'm being suckered in to overspend.
I’m rotating Rattrays, Stanwells, a Viprati, Jensen, Svendborg, Butz-C, a few Morettis - They all smoke about the same to me. My Viprati smokes great, but it’s not clearly superior to the $26 estate Svendborg I got on Ebay, which smokes great BTW - not being snobby! It really is awesome, I got a steal.
Teetering on the edge of going bigger budget or taking the Svendborg as a lesson to never go big. And then I think my $120 Morettis look as good as a lot of $300 briars.
How do you feel about that? Go bigger budget or never go bigger budget again?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Your B&M guy is just trying to make a dollar. I have Artisans, Dunhills, and several things in between, and my sub $100 pipes as well as cobs smoke just as good, or even better.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I know - thx for responding. And I certainly appreciate the beauty of a lot of the artisan pipes. Just talking myself off the ledge.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know how hard that is. I see several eBay listings that are eating me alive. Most of pipe smoking has to do with technique so don't doubt the pipes in your collection. I have a couple of the makers you listed, and they smoke great!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:clap:
If I knew thirty years ago what I know now, I'd have so much more money in my pocket.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Most of pipe smoking has to do with technique

I agree with that for sure. But I will say, I absolutely love my Ardor Urano Fantasy Bent Apple

Was it worth it? Who knows, but it is beautiful I love the look of it, and it smokes very well. I had to see if there is a difference from my cheaper pipes and one of these. I am can not really say for sure it smokes any better than my $100 pipes, although it looks way cooler and that's worth something..

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I start flinching around $150 - but I definitely appreciate some of the pipes I see and don't want to pay for

Status
Not open for further replies.