PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Greetings to all, I am seriously considering an addition to my very modest pipe collecion and this may be the last one I personally buy for a while. In my search I seem to keep coming back to Les Wood's, Ferndown.
I'd like to hear from folks with experience with Ferndown pipes. It would be a huge help and a chance for the community at large to have great influence on my next pipe purchase.
Thanks,
jeremy

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Ferndown are some of the best out there. I have three and they are great smokers and look fantastic. They are usually generous sized and have a Edwardian flair to them, some of them almost looking like they hoped off a turn of the century catalog.
Ferndown, Castello and Ser Jacopo are the only brands I have more than one of and haven't had a problem. If you have a good quality Ashton or Dunhill, a Ferndown smokes about like they do. YMMV.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I have a ferndown currently and have had several in the past. I really like them. They were all made well and are great prices. I have never had an issue with the stain on any of mine. I have had reo that I currently have, root, tudor root, and bark.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I own two and C&D summed it up pretty well. Most are quite large. Both of mine pass a thin cleaner, but the draft is similar to my Upshalls and older Ashtons, ie not exactly wide open (which is my preference). Stems are very nice. Compared to a modern Ashton, I'd say a notch below by my experience with both makers. A GOOD Taylor Ashton might be a notch above. The oil cured briar is nice to break in.
The best place to buy a new Ferndown is thru Maxim at Pipes2Smoke.com, his prices are amazingly low. Sometimes lower than estates on Ebay.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I purchased two Ferndowns recently - you can see them in my post here. The canadian is of recent manufacture, with a nice open draw. It's been an absolutely fantastic smoker for VA's. Phenomenal pipe, no complaints at all. The bulldog was an unsmoked estate with no dating information available. It does seem like a tighter draw than the canadian and it hasn't smoked as well so far. However, I haven't smoked either pipe very much, since (as noted above) they're rather large and impractical for smoking while I'm working. I recently switched the bulldog to VA's from Latakias to see if it favors those blends more. But it's possible that it's just a bit too tight, especially given the fairly large bowl. There's no problem passing a cleaner, though. I absolutely love the shaping and finish, so if it doesn't seem to improve with the VA's I may consider sending it out to get opened up.
So, as with others, something of a mixed bag. The canadian is really, really good though - possibly the finest smoking pipe I own in a collection of Petes, Savinellis, Dunhills, Ashtons, and other notable makes. From what I could see online, there are more complaints about the smoking quality of earlier Ferndowns than more recent ones. So it's possible my two pipes straddle some change in their manufacturing. Or maybe I just got lucky with the canadian. But if you're thinking of trying one out, it may not be a bad idea to stick to new ones from pipes2smoke rather than buy one of uncertain origins from eBay or elsewhere.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I am owned by an estate two star Ferndown Bark Panel (eight-sided and silver-banded) with a cumberland stem, and it is one of my best smokers. This pipe is a testament to the fact that Mr. Wood certainly learned his lessons well during his tenure with Dunhill.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A most generous Forums member gave me a smooth bent Ferndown with some tobaccos, including

a tin of Semois (he tried it, didn't like it). It's a beautiful pipe with an extra large bowl, but light weight

for its capacity. I tried it with another tobacco and it smoked great. But I tried it with the Semois and it

was sublime. I mean that great big bowl, with some depth, opens out the intricacies of that Belgium burley,

and sustains the smoke for a long time. It really is among the best pairings of pipe and tobacco I've experienced.

Even if you don't like Semois, or burley for that matter, I think you will very much like a Ferndown pipe. A hand

made pipe with its anchor in tradition.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Tppytel, Your thread is exactly what I was looking for. Almost to the pipe! I am looking for a bent bulldog with a blast/rusticated black or very dark finish. I quickly read your initial post on your thread and will reread them again multiple times before making a choice.
Everyone here is so helpful and supportive. I have read everyone’s views thus far. Keep them coming please. The combinded knowledge is humbling. The picture you are painting will make for a very informed decision. Keep an eye out for the resurfacing of this post too. I will update.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
this one is a little smaller than the usual bent bulldogs Les Wood makes and a great price.

here

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I agree with the recommendations for a 2* size. The 3* pipes are noticeably bigger in your hand than the usual pipes out there. If I buy another Ferndown, it will be a 2*. As you can see at pipes2smoke's page, the Bark finish is very common. So even though there aren't that many Ferndowns produced in a year, I expect you'll be able to find a Bark bulldog that suits you with just a little patience.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've always loved his REO finish and have smoked three of them well enough to say that they perform well. Be aware however if you are a clencher it will likely be impacted by the size and weight of these pipes. I had one of his bent spigot pipes and it didn't pass a cleaner, which is one of my requirements. Talk to Maxim if you're serious. Worth the money.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
At this point I am not much of a clincher and lean towards bigger pipes any way. Maybe this is causal, I don't know. The inability to pass a pipe cleaner is concerning. Is this prone to certain models? Bent vs straight?

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Sometimes you just have to fiddle wit the cleaner to get it to pass. On bent bulldogs putting a small bend at the end making it look like a L usually works.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
So incredibley happy that I chose to get this pipe. So far it's everything I wanted and more. A big thank you to Maxim at Pipes2smoke.com. Sorry about the quality of photos. Away from home and my Nikon.

CC0BDF4F-6FA8-406A-BFE4-70B419DA4B6B_zpsgvxjjb7p.jpg

04E5965B-5A12-4B57-A370-1390F0BFF334_zps2if5ez3q.jpg

7A3AE38C-7D83-4625-89E4-43D916B01419_zpsq1mdvben.jpg

91693C70-E69D-41F1-84F8-642A1B32F3FE_zpsdwlrzfjp.jpg

F8E142E4-22A7-4D17-9EC3-0A712A95E186_zps99hj2a6g.jpg

5F6D9221-CD10-4BBD-9DDB-33FD46212733_zpsnqc3yysb.jpg

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Glad you got the pipe. I am hoping he gets a 3* bent bulldog with a tapered stem. I don't like the parks he has, so I am waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.