PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I guess it was 2005 when avian influenza (bird flu) outbreak happened. I remember that I was visiting my uncle who is a doctor. I brought up the topic and said how dangerous it was, how World Health Organization increased the pandemic alert level, etc. The only thing he said was "It is a hoax". No matter how much I tried to explain him the whole situation, he just said that it was all about money. And after few years, it was revealed that the flu wasn't that dangerous and a hoax was created to sell the shots. I was too shy to go to my uncle and say he was right, but he was right indeed.
I open the pipesmagazine page, there is an FDA article on the main page, there are at least 3 active FDA threads in the forums every day. Every other guy is just talking about FDA in each thread. I am not saying that it is a hoax. That's why there is a question mark in the topic. Trust me, when you don't live in a country everything seems to be really simple about that country and the thing is each issue or problem needs to be seen from a simple point of view and they all have a simple solution. At least that's what I learned while trying to solve complicated logic puzzles.
As a result, I don't say that I am sure or it is 100% proven, however that whole FDA thing seems to be a hoax. Even if it is not a hoax, then it is going to be a profitable thing for the biggest manufacturers of cigars and pipe tobacco (I am not even talking about cigarette companies). I will tell you how:
Let's say that there are 1000 pipe smokers in this world and there are 4 big pipe tobacco companies. Each company sells its products to 250 people. So the market is shared. Then a small 5th company starts selling its own products, then another 6th company, then the 7th, etc. So, those 4 big companies start losing their customers. In this case they have 2 options. They either have to compete with them by producing better products for a cheaper price OR they have to go back in time when those companies were not around so they can sell their products. They understand that they cannot go back in time, so they have to bring back the old times. Voila. You ask a friend of yours who has the authority over every tobacco company and he does the job for you.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In my opinion, you didn't miss the target by much. It is not the big pipe companies that are going to make the profit though, it is big cigarette companies. Cigars and pipes was collateral damage in an attack orchestrated by big tobacco against e-cigarettes and vaping. I don't think the cigarette companies were targeting cigars and pipe tobaccos because cigar and pipe smokers are rowing the same boat they are.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
In my opinion, you didn't miss the target by much. It is not the big pipe companies that are going to make the profit though, it is big cigarette companies.
I can also see that one, that is why I said "Even if it is not a hoax, then it is going to be a profitable thing for the biggest manufacturers of cigars and pipe tobacco (I am not even talking about cigarette companies)."
I can assure you that big tobacco companies will also take advantage of it. The blends they offer have been around for decades and they are not going to be affected.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Conspiracy theories aside, when this issue came up years ago I quit trying new blends, I just stick to the ones I have in my stock and enjoy those, don't have to worry about losing out on new smokes that are no longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.