PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There have been a lot of questions and incorrect answers surrounding the compliance dates on various aspects of the FDA deeming regs. I hope that this info, just released by the FDA, answers more questions than it raises:
nceDates_060716_FNL_508_Page_1-vi.jpg

nceDates_060716_FNL_508_Page_2-vi.jpg

nceDates_060716_FNL_508_Page_3-vi.jpg

nceDates_060716_FNL_508_Page_4-vi.jpg

nceDates_060716_FNL_508_Page_5-vi.jpg

nceDates_060716_FNL_508_Page_6-vi.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is there a translation into English, or an executive summary?? Or simply does it mean the deeming date has in fact been moved to 8 August?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I believe ALL cigar and tobacco will be safe but with higher fee's.
No, that is incorrect.
Post 2-15-2007 tobacco must cross one or more hurdles in order to be compliant with the deeming regs and to stay in the market post 8-18. This document does not address the requirements for or the cost of that compliance, just the timeline.

Dec 24, 2012
What I fnd humorous is how they went out of their way on such a small document to say, numerous times, that they are only regulating post--2/15 /07 blends "at this time" while pointing out several times that they have the authority to regulate all tobacco products.
Scary.

Dec 24, 2012
Footnotes 6,7,8,9,11, 13 and 14 are all simply saying that they are only applying enforcement measures to post 02/15/07 blends for now, but yes, they are underscoring the fact that they could regulate even pre=2007 stuff if they wanted to because they believe they have the power to do so.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
1coyote, nothing has changed in regards to what and when the FDA plans to regulate. They have clarified, however, that there are no "safe" tobaccos.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Damn nanny state bureaucrats. I don't need the FDA to be my mommy, and neither does anyone else here. I suppose it's all okay though because it's FOR THE CHILDREN, as the FDA's power to regulate tobacco stems from the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act.
I'm glad to see that Little Johnny won't be sneaking off to fill his hand-carved briar with that bubblegum-flavored tobaccy that the pipe tobacco blenders have been so carefully marketing to children :nana:

Jun 4, 2014
Now don't get upset, the "we know what is good for you" government is just leading us to better dystopian society because they care.
Soylent Green is people!

Not to give credit to the FDA, but we knew this was coming. For at least five years now, everyone, the forums, the radioshow, pipe clubs, articles on here, literally everywhere everyone has been telling us that this was coming, the FDA is coming. Interviews with people involved on the radioshow. DO YOU GUYS NOT LISTEN TO THE RADIOSHOW? Some of us became proactive and steadily stockpiled tobacco. Others did what they could, and others ignored it all together.

Not that I like it, but I knew it was coming, and I was not shocked at all. Pretty much we were told ABC was going to happen, and ABC happened.

The amount of shock and outrage is more astounding to me than what the FDA has done, because at least they told us 5 years ago that this was going to happen.
OK OK OK- back to your regularly scheduled outrage and indignation.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The amount of shock and outrage is more astounding to me than what the FDA has done
This.
And the social media finger-wagging bravado that does absolutely nothing. Sometimes I think that the gubbmint invented social media to give people a dark, bottomless hole to yell down into.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Some of us who have recently gotten into the hobby can reasonably feel that the rug is being pulled out from under our feet on this issue.

Dec 24, 2012
Hey lawdawg, I appreciate how you feel. I would feel the same. I was fortunate to pick up the hobby in 2012. On the positive side though, you have 18 months to 2 years to cellar. Always look on the bright side of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.