PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I went into the local Vape shop... just hold on to your tar and feathers for a second... to get some "juice" for my wife who has been using one to get off cigarettes (hasn't had one in over a year now). Anyway, when I told the guy I smoked a pipe, he told me he had a "juice" that is supposed to taste just like pipe tobacco. My reply? "Too bad you can't give samples anymore or I'd taste it". HIS reply? "Oh, no, we can give samples again! The FDA backed down on that!". Now I'm in a pinch, so I agreed to taste it. It was terrible and tasted nothing like any pipe tobacco I've experienced. More like Marlboro mixed with molasses! The point being, has anyone else heard of the FDA giving in on samples??? If so, the Columbus show will be more fun than I had figured and is back on my calendar!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This sounds rather interesting although I would like a little more reliable source that 'Arkwright' the local B&M dude! Anyone else heard anything along these lines. If it was official I would have heard from the oracle of Pennsylvania aka Woodsroad!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nothing official that I have heard from, but I'm a bit out of the loop these days.

Lane felt comfortable giving out free samples at the New York (Newark) Pipe Show, you might want to ask them about it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This has been knocking around for a few months now. None of the proposed guidance allows for free samples from manufacturers, distributors or retailers to retail customers.
Of course, the Standard Tobacco Co. of Pennsylvania is neither a manufacturer, distributor or retailer. So I guess that none of this applies to us. Until the FDA comes calling, then someone has to start paying the lawyers.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, I know that they are. They've made that decision and have the lawyers on retainer to argue their case if the need arises.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There are loopholes in that document also.

For example, it doesn't say anything about pipe events where you pay to attend. I'm not a lawyer, but when I read that tobacco products must be part of a monetary exchange, then it would be logical that paying to participate in a pipe night make distribution of tobacco products allowable.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a friend who owns a vape shop. If the FDA backed down on free samples he doesn't know about it. He's been charging 25 cents. And he's not trying to just get another 25 cents. For example, they're not supposed to give anything away for free, so when he used to offer buy two get one free on ecig juice, he now offers buy two, get one for a penny :lol: Since they're going through the same BS the pipe tobacco industry is going through, I try to give him a heads up on the chatter from this side concerning regulations.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pappymac, according to the regs, the entity giving out the samples must be paid, not the show organizer.
Crash, I wish we were at the NY show, but just a sniff wasn't going to cut it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Warm water, a brillo pad and Murphy's Oil Soap (for very hard wood) is an excellent treatment for exceptionally aromatic goods......

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am sure Dan (woodsroad) took my comment in the manner in which it was intended: good natured ribbing, off beat humor. Maybe should have used some smilies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
woodsroad - the show organizer is the entity giving out the tobacco. The event is put on by a local B&M every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.