PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was poking around in the archives and came across an old string that I think is well worth resurrecting anew.

It was Originally started by one of our most venerated early members Dunendain.

I would like to know some of you guy's favs. I love reading, and collecting books. Nothing better than a good pipe, and a book. IMO.

I thought it would be nice to hear your thoughts, a synopsis, and why these books have become your favorites.
Just to jump start the sting here is repost from that ancient string:
This one is easy. While I truly enjoy the old standbys, The Lord of the Rings (Trilogy), Dune (Trilogy), Sir Arthur Connan Doyle’s The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago, and a few others; there is a true stand out.

While I am not very religious, my favorite book, without question is The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson, copyrighted in 1949. The Cardinal chronicles the life of a young prelate, Father Fermoyle (from the American College in Rome), as he grows professionally, emotionally, and spiritually throughout his career. This novel ends shortly after he becomes a member of “the most exclusive club in the world” when he is elevated to the Sacred College in Rome, and has become one of the “Pope’s Generals” His Eminence, Stephen Cardinal Fermoyle.

His father Dennis Fermoyle “Din the Down-shouter” a street car motorman, his friend an ocean liner Captain Gaetano Orselli, Cardinal Lawrence Glennon, an American born and widowed Countess Ghislana Falerni, the nearly destitute French Canadian stonecutter and violin luthier Hercule Menton, and a number of other minor characters influence his life’s journey toward his Cardinalship.

From “the handsomest meerschaum Stephen had ever seen.”, to a joke comparing street cars to opera with the punch line “Rose of Castille”; I suppose what I really enjoy the most is the gritty and realistic depiction of American life during the early 20th century in the Boston Archdiocese, and the inner workings of the Roman Catholic Church. The Cardinal takes place post WWI, progresses through the Great Depression and ends just after WWII.

When this book was made into a movie, it caused uproar within the Catholic Church. Like most novels made into movies; the movie entirely missed the point. By pursuing the sensational, rather than delving into the important aspects of Steven Fermoyle’s emotional, spiritual, and professional growth; the movie totally ignored the wisdom he gained throughout his life.

The Cardinal may not be a book that your local library will have on hand. A friend of mine gave me a copy about 30 years ago. If there is no copy available at your local branch library, ask the librarian to locate one and have it sent to your local branch. I have done this several times in the past; it’s not unusual for one library to borrow books from one another. It shouldn’t cost you anything to have this done.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
"Brew or Die" by ME!
My favorites change periodically, but one book I always pick up and read again is the Tao Te Ching.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I wonder what ever happened to Mick (dunendain). Last I heard he was ill... Hope he got better!
Anyway,

My favorite book is: NEVERWHERE BY NEIL GAIMAN

I fell in love with this book shortly after it came out. It's a modern fairy tale/fantasy which takes place in modern (1990's) London. It's a rather difficult story to summarize, so I'll just say that it's worth reading if this genre is your thing.
-Jason

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Always partial to the Conan books by Robert Howard, and the Dune series by Frank Herbert...

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I nearly finished a Forgotten Realms mini series, but the last book is in storage and partially started. Those are epic. Like Lord of the Rings, yet a bit more vile.

Augusten Burroughs is another favorite.

Can't forget The Sun Also Rises, by Hemingway. Very poignant.

The Long Hard Road Out of Hell, by Brian Warner, A.K.A. Marylyn Manson. Very inspirational and intelligently written.

I just ordered The Fan Man a few minutes ago, so I'll be waiting for that real soon. Apparently it's an autibiography by a hippy who collects fans.

The I Ching is good too.
That sums it up, in one big lump.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I've only read a few books because I have a hard time reading. My favorite was A Time To Kill by John Grisham. I also loved The Lord of the Rings Trilogy but wasn't to big on The Hobbit. Again because it was hard to read.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's hard to choose one book, as I enjoy so many genres. Two of my very favorites are, Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut and Hell I was There by Elmer Keith. Sirens of Titan is the best fiction book I have ever read, the amount of layers and complications are very engrossing and the writing is top notch. Hell I was there is an autobiography of Elmer Keith, for those who don't know who he is, he was a hunter and gun writer during the last century, among his accomplishments, he invented the .44 Magnum. I guess I need to add a third book, Best Damn Garage in Town by Smokey Yunick. Smokey was amongst other things, pretty much the best mechanic who ever lived, that isn't hyperbole, just simply he truth. Best Damn Garage is another autobiography about a man who led an extraordinary life, he is also on of the main reasons auto racing has so many rules, he was a mechanic in a time of innovation and cleverness. One of Smokeys sayings was that it isn't cheating if there isn't a rule against it. All three of these books will draw you into the pages and will make you feel as if you are right there with them.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i enjoy reading, but am unable to do it as much as i would like of late due to eye problems--
BUT the kid in me never dies, no matter how hard i try to stifle him--
R. L. Stevenson, Daniel Defoe, Rudyard Kipling, Jack London, A. C. Doyle; all the old favorite classic authors--
one 'modern' writer i am trying to adjust to is Nevil Shute; he begins slowly, but it's usually a good thing to stay with him as he finally gets wound up--
i need to read something by Shelby Foote--he was a very interesting man AND a pipe man--
i prefer fiction; i had enough heavy reading in high school and college--the exceptions to fiction are history and archaeology

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
I love reading, my favourite thing about smoking is that it gives me more time to read. I'll give you a short list of what I love.

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (and Ioan Colfer)

- Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson)

- Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin

- The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien

- The Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien

- How to Archer by Sterling Archer

- The Art of War by Sun Tzu

- The Book by Rick Mercer

- Atlantis Rising by Harry Turtledove

- United States of Atlantis by Harry Turtledove

- The collected works of Williams Shakespeare

- Sandman by Neil Gaiman

- American Gods by Neil Gaiman

- Y the Last Man by Brian K Vaughan

- New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke

- Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegner

- Cthulhu Mythos by H P Lovecraft

- How to be a Canadian by Will Ferguson
like I said a short list. I am currently reading

- Why I Hate Canadians by Will Ferguson

- Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (a hard read when you are in a good mood)
I read both on paper and on my kobo. Kobo is great for keeping a hand free and traveling.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I've been reading Hitchhiker's Guide lately but descriptive words make it hard for me. It is full of those. Very good though.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
If you can pick up either the audio book or the radio show (where it all began) Might make it a bit easier. And always remember to know where your towel is :P

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Ha ha. I have tried audio books but I find that I never listen to them. If I have the book I usually read it. And yes I remember my towel. :D

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Nice topic. I have a few russian classics I really enjoy. It's impossible to rate them exactly, but:
- Dead Souls, Nikolaj Gogol

- Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov

- A Hero of our Time, Mikhail Lermentov
sums up three of my favorits.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
my all time favorite author, the greatest writer of the latter half of the 20th century, thomas pynchon. basically the american answer to james joyce. those are the 2 giants of modern literature that stand head and shoulders above all others.
i used to read voraciously and went through phases where i'd find an author and read everything he (or she) had ever written. i've enjoyed vonnegut, kozinsky, douglas adams, tom robbins, conrad, moliere, kerouac, and on and on. i've also read a lot of sci fi, and went through a phase when i read mostly biographies of romantic era composers. oh and i've read a lot of the bible.
for all you guitar players out there arnold schoenberg's "theory of music" will fill all the gaps in your edumacation.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Lawrence, I'll get "The Cardinal" from my local library. If not, they are available on web sites for a few dollars. Sounds interesting, I had never heard of this book.
I'm reading another Don Winslow book, an older one "The Power of the Dog". He writes crime/drug books that are terrific (Winter of Frankie Machine, The Gentlemans Hour, etc.) One of his books "Savages" (excellent) was recently made into a mediocre movie. A lot are set in So-Cal and revolve around surfing.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am a voracious reader. I read a lot of history, have read a fair amount of science fiction, enjoy a good mystery or thriller.
Two of my favorite books, that I discovered in my early teens, and still speak to me, are "Huckleberry Finn" and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Both deal with what Gunnar Myrdal referred to as "The American Dilemma" in a very down-to-earth, readable way.
I also very much enjoy the works of Pat Conroy. He writes beautifully, and tells a good story. I would have to say that "Prince of Tides" and "My Losing Season" are favorites.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Hmmm...King. He's only written a few that I didn't like, but the shining stands out as my favorite. Synopsis...all work and no play make Jack a dull boy..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On King, I saw this earlier in the week:

Stephen King announced today that a sequel to his bestselling novel The Shining will be released on September 24, 2013. King previewed a portion of the book, titled “Doctor Sleep” during a reading at George Mason University last year (video below), and revealed that the novel will follow Danny Torrence, into adulthood.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Mainly enjoy non-fiction and biographies for me, and I have a rule that if a book doesn't absolutely grab me and hold me after the first 30 pages or so, I put it away. Some of my favorite reads have been:
Non-fiction:

Searching for Bobby Fischer by Fred Waitzkin

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam

The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
Biographies and autobiographies:

John Adams by David McCullough

Call Me Lucky by Bing Crosby

Laughs, Luck...and Lucy by Jess Oppenheimer
Many of these books were made into movies because they were so good, but in every single case, the book was far superior to the movie version.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Fists to the Gaimen fans. I have all 75 of the Sandman comics. Neverwhere was neat too. Just the things he comes up with are mind-warping. And Y the Last Man was great too. Onto that side of things I'd have to say that The Maxx by Sam Kieth is my all time favorite.
Einstein's Dream was a good book, although I can't remember who wrote it. Ofcourse Tolkien is a staple for night time reading. I read more history books than anything. I'm obsessed with colonialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.