PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I would like to know some of you guy's favs. I love reading, and collecting books. Nothing better than a good pipe, and a book. IMO.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Depends.
I am a voracious reader and go through at least a couple books a week.o

Usually it's jsut mind candy entertainment. John Sanford, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly et al.
I also enjoy history and leadership theory reading. Finished a bio of Ben Franklin recently and usually have one of those "how to be an effective manager/executive" books burning part way finished at any given time. When the mood striked I pick it up.
Life changing outlook changing books

Catcher in the Rye

The Accidental Buddhist

Fast Food Nation

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maint.

Penthouse Forum :>)

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I've been trying to talk the library into letting me swap the old O. Henry books out with brand new ones. I'd like to take the old ones home and try restoring them.
I'm wanting to explore the classics more. Eventually I'll finish reading "The Decameron"; I had to replace my lost copy. Every time I hear people talk about how society is losing its morals, I think back to things like the stories in it. The mid 1300's must've been in a similar cycle because not too much is different in the book.
Irvine Welsh is pretty cool sometimes, and sometimes not. My favorite by far is "Filth".
The latest author I want to read more of is Ruth Rendell. I've only read "Live Flesh" so far, and it was a good read.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I read alot too. I usually go to a second hand store once every two weeks and spend about 2.00 on things that interest me. I just pick and choose no real favorite authors.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
The book that most changed my life was Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I don't agree with her view of religion, but her understanding of men's desires is unparalleled. It is a long read, but worth it. Other than that its scifi/fantasy all the way. Terry Prachett, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Margret Wies are just some of my favorites.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Morning Dune,

This one is easy. While I truly enjoy the old standbys, The Lord of the Rings (Trilogy), Dune (Trilogy), Sir Arthur Connan Doyle’s The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago, and a few others; there is a true stand out.

While I am not very religious, my favorite book, without question is The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson, copyrighted in 1949. The Cardinal chronicles the life of a young prelate, Father Fermoyle (from the American College in Rome), as he grows professionally, emotionally, and spiritually throughout his career. This novel ends shortly after he becomes a member of “the most exclusive club in the world” when he is elevated to the Sacred College in Rome, and has become one of the “Pope’s Generals” His Eminence, Stephen Cardinal Fermoyle.

His father Dennis Fermoyle “Din the Down-shouter” a street car motorman, his friend an ocean liner Captain Gaetano Orselli, Cardinal Lawrence Glennon, an American born and widowed Countess Ghislana Falerni, the nearly destitute French Canadian stonecutter and violin luthier Hercule Menton, and a number of other minor characters influence his life’s journey toward his Cardinalship.

From “the handsomest meerschaum Stephen had ever seen.”, to a joke comparing street cars to opera with the punch line “Rose of Castille”; I suppose what I really enjoy the most is the gritty and realistic depiction of American life during the early 20th century in the Boston Archdiocese, and the inner workings of the Roman Catholic Church. The Cardinal takes place post WWI, progresses through the Great Depression and ends just after WWII.

When this book was made into a movie, it caused uproar within the Catholic Church. Like most novels made into movies; the movie entirely missed the point. By pursuing the sensational, rather than delving into the important aspects of Steven Fermoyle’s emotional, spiritual, and professional growth; the movie totally ignored the wisdom he gained throughout his life.

The Cardinal may not be a book that your local library will have on hand. A friend of mine gave me a copy about 30 years ago. If there is no copy available at your local branch library, ask the librarian to locate one and have it sent to your local branch. I have done this several times in the past; it’s not unusual for one library to borrow books from one another. It shouldn’t cost you anything to have this done.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I read a lot of war books, Comic books, and I started reading The first Sherlock Holmes book.
One of my favorite Authors though is Hunter S. Thompson.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Hemingway

Tolkien

Ian Fleming

Hunter S. Thompson

Rudyard Kipling

Agatha Christie

W.H. Auden

John Dos Passos

Lord Buckley

Ayn Rand

J.D. Salinger

Anthony Bourdain

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Quite an eclectic mix of interests I would say. For me, it's all non-fiction, except for some special classics such as, "The Black Obelisk" (Eric Maria Remarque) and "The Winds of War" )(Herman Wouk), stuff like that. I collect rare books, mostly history. My favorite is a set of books detailing the monuments in Westminster Abbey, written in the 19th century by the Dean of the abbey. The pages of the books were hand cut in those days, and my copies feature many pages they "missed", so you can't even open the pages to read the thing! I did read "The Hobbit" (in 1964) and thought it was great. Also the LOTR series was great. As a kid I enjoyed the "Tom Swift" books series, as well as the 20 volumes of "Journeys Through Bookland", published in the early 20th century.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
James Michener because he makes me think . Hunter S Thompson because he makes me laugh . Homer for wisdom and hidden truth . Robert A. Heinlein . Peter Benchley not just jaws you know . Zane Grey .Frost . and many more . Now the strange thing is I read about 4 to 5 books at one time . That is too say I cant read one book from front to back , kinda like channel surfing .

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
I love me some Dean Koontz, Frank Peretti and Sherlock Holmes (esp. Hounds of Baskerville). Nothing quite compares to curling up with a good book, a nice smoke and a glass of your favorite beverage.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I am a closet reading bather.
Let me explain.
Despite otherwise maintaining a relatively "manly" approach to things, my secret vice is a steaming hot bath. I take one 3 times a week or so (Yes I shower more often).
And....this is hard to admit in public...bear with me....I sometimes use bubble bath. There....I feel better having admitted it.
Nothing like an hour of solitude soaking the bones with a good book.
I'm considering adding the pipe to the experience but I'm hesitant because I know me and me will undoubtedly and nearly immediately accidentally drop his pipe in the tub.

Reactions: gkunkel

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I just downloaded the full Sherlock Holmes collection to my Iphone. Just started reading A study in scarlet. I let you guy's know what I think, I have read one in years.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Tolkien

Charles de Lint

Terry Pratchett

Anything on blacksmithing

Anything on woodworking (turning especially )

Medieval history with emphasis on the Viking age

Art

PS I LIKE Mr Bubble!

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
Since I went back to finish my BA (nearly 10 year hiatus) I also haven't had much "free" reading time. What I've been reading lately has either been assigned or related to school. And when I did I was reading history, blacksmithing, wood carving and jewelry making books. I doubt my MA program will leave much more free time.
That said, I'm a big fan of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and the reissued Conan anthologies have been a blast to read on the bus during my commute :) Next semester is my last and I think I'm going to finish with a cushy lit class that a friend is taking- the 20th century novel.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Sapo,

I know this is a little off topic, but for we busy types, this is a way to entertain one's self when a little entertainment is the order of the day.
Here is a link to some OTR programs "Old Time Radio".

I have downloaded all of the Sherlock Holmes Mysteries and listen to them (on the speaker phone of my cell) while I'm driving or cooking dinner.
Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes OTR

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Pstlpkr,
I'm an OTR buff too. I mainly like the old thrillers and detective stories like Mysterious Traveller, The Fat Man, The Whistler, Boston Blackie, etc..
Besides Internet Archive, two good resources for me have been:
OTR Plus Forum
&
Zoot Radio
Nowadays, you have to be registered and logged in to download from Zoot, but there are lots and lots of shows there.

Status
Not open for further replies.