Favorite Shapes Or Favorite Pipes

(34 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by irishearl
  • Latest reply from weezell
  1. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If asked I wouldn't say the bent billiard is my favorite shape. Yet I recently realized it is the most common shape in my collection. Got to thinking that maybe I don't really have a favorite shape. Thought I did but when I think about the pipes I own, generally I've bought them due to multiple factors with shape just being 1 variable along with such things as stain color, line of shank/stem, finish, metal accoutremonts, etc. I really wouldn't just want to buy a pipe in my "favorite" shapes unless it ticks off a variety of boxes. So, am starting to think I don't have favorite shapes but rather favorite pipes. Though will say there are shapes I definitely won't consider. So, where do you fall along this line?

Posted 9 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

As much as I love freehands, volcanos, and blowfish, I have more of these.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stanwellman

Login to Send PM

Both: Stanwell 52, a group 3-4 straight billiard.

Posted 9 months ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sort of in the middle I guess. I have favorite pipes. But I also have favorite shapes within a brand. For instance, my favorite shapes in the Peterson lineup are the 106 and XL90, while my favorite shape by Savinelli would be the 320. Other brands might be completely different. L'Anatra's rhodesians for example I find quite lovely, or Stanwell's 139 which is an elegantly curved 1/4 bent billiard. A favorite shape in particular would be the danish style bent eggs, of which I actually have only a few. I love freehands, but those are for the most part (not entirely) dublin-esque in shape (I consider a freehand any pipe hand shaped without the use of a lathe). So I guess I'm a bit on both sides.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 9 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Savinelli 642, The Peterson XL02, 03, and 999 models. I'd have to say my favorite shape is a bent apple, hands down, but following up close behind are the bent bulldogs/rhodesians like the 999. I love the shape and don't own one, but I will....muahahaha, oh I will.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I love the Savinelli 122 bent pot, and although historically I've been very into the Zulu shape, I'd say my current favorite is a straight Poker where the shank joins the bowl pretty far down, kind of like the Dunhill shape.

9 times out of 10, I'm smoking a Billiard or a Bent billiard, though.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 9 months ago #
  7. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer straight billiards because of their nostalgic look (50's).

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, not really. I like traditional shapes. Well, some of them. And I have several favorite pipes, although not nearly enough yet.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd guess billiard (straight and bent for all shapes), Dublin, and bulldog. I enjoy and value many others, so I won't go through the list. The Peterson brandy B11 is a close runner up.

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

My favorites are currently the bent billiard and the bulldog. I have a straight billiard but I find I prefer bent stems more and more.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  11. eaglewriter1

eaglewriter1

Login to Send PM

Give me a classic Billiard Or Bent or a Bulldog and I am happy. Here are two of my current favorits:

Posted 9 months ago #
  12. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Straight billiards are my favorite. (X105, 106, 107) I also love the Peterson 303/03/3s, Mark Twain, 80s, XL10, Jap.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  13. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, can see what you mean about having certain shape preferences within brands. I, too, would prefer the 320 in a Sav line. That would be an example though of my preferring a particular interpretation of a shape as opposed to the general shape itself. Within the Peterson brand, there would be too many shape interpretations, finishes, etc,. that I prefer to itemize them.

Posted 9 months ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something bent with a conventual/conservative shape in briar. Meerschaums must be bent and any carving must be understated, as a rule.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  15. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have many shapes and sizes of pipes. But eventually I realized I like an apple/pot shape. Small pipes.

Neal
    Posted 9 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

As much as I love my collection of 904/9004s shown above, these are my babies.

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The billiard is my favorite shape, and my favorite ones are early Dunhill's (20's, 30's, and 40's) and Kyriazanos'.

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. techie

techie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been into pipes for only 3 months and currently own only 9, but I gravitate towards bent pipes. My favorites right now are a rusticated bent brandy and a rusticated bent dublin sitter. I've been eyeing and liking some pokers too, and my favorite cob is a MM General. Just ordered a custom stem for it.

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I've been really interested in straight pipes...especially the pencil shank pipes (Scottie Piersel). I don't own a pencil shank pipe...yet!

My favorite pipe in my collection is this.

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

My favourites are: brandy, apple, bulldog, prince and full bent rhodesian. And I also like cherrywood in smaller sizes.

Posted 9 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Peterson XL02 followed a close second by Nording Freehands.

Posted 9 months ago #
  22. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do have a couple of favorite shapes, straight Billiard and 1/8 bent Brandy. I am a believer that shape affects taste to some degree, and these 2 shapes seem to smoke all blends and. Uts well. The middle ground, if you will. I also find the Brandy shape beautiful. Classic, but with style!

Posted 9 months ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aw, man, this is hard. Discounting freehands (I don't really consider them a "shape" as such) I'd have to say bent bulldog or Lovat.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  24. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Straight billiard, followed by straight pot.

Posted 9 months ago #
  25. pastorpiper

pastorpiper

Login to Send PM

Favorite pipes are my MM cobs. Country Gentleman bent, both in natural finish as well as plaster ones. The bits just fit my teeth perfectly. The weight is nice and light. And the bowl size is perfect! My cobs get 95% of my smoking. I just love them and constantly reach for them over my briar and pear woods.

Posted 9 months ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Straight billiards, Canadians,Liverpool and lovats, yet can't do without my smaller chamber bulldogs and prince shapes, all these should have that strictly classic, somewhat outdated appearance.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 9 months ago #
  27. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Volcanos that aren't too pyramidal (such as Brigham's offerings), squat bulldogs, princes, and, to a lesser degree, apples. I prefer bent over straight, and I favour small bowls.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 9 months ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dublins, Billiards, Apples and Rhodesians are my favorite shapes.

Harris
    Posted 9 months ago #
  29. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

I like alot of shapes, can't really just pick one. One thing i can say is that i love sandblasted pipes.

Posted 9 months ago #
  30. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a shape but more of a pipe style. System

Posted 9 months ago #
  31. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love me a cutty.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 9 months ago #
  32. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

- Billiard (bent and straight as well) and its variations like Canadian/Lovat/Liverpool/Lumberman
    - Apple
    - Brandy
    - Author

It is usually depending on my mood, I change my preferation from day to day but mostly these are the shapes I choose to buy - and smoke. Sometimes I want to buy a nice bulldog, but I always remind myself that it is not the most comfortable for my hand. I have big hands, long fingers and more curvy pipes with bigger "heads" are better to hold. Edgy pipes are somehow not comfortable for me.
    The finish doesn't matter, I like smooth, rusticated and sandblast as well. Same with the colour (pipe and stem), it can be green, brown, light or dark, black, etc.

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have pipes that are favorites because they are beautiful and carry a high price; I have pipes that are favorite because they look good and smoke well but cost little; and I have pipes that fit neither category that are favorites because they were gifts, are unique in some way, or are striking to look at, and others because they are long faithful servants.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love me a cutty.
    Not just a cutty, but a MEER CUTTY! You have no idea...(it's a sickness I tell ya)...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, ben88, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, loadclear, lochinvar, donjgiles, mikefu