Favorite Pipe Smoking Character in Movie or TV Show.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I like retro cop and detective shows. I recently ordered Cannon on Netflix, and damn, Frank Cannon had some nice Briars in that show, and he really smokes them. Not just waving them around as a prop. It shows his pipe rack on the wall, as well. William Conrad was a piper in real life too.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the "Road To..." collection of movies by Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, so Bingo would have to get my vote for his smoking appearances in those films. (If C&D's blend, Crooner, is an accurate reproduction of Bingo's favorite blend, then I'd say his taste in 'baccy sucks.)

I seem to think a few sitcoms of the 50's - 60's featured middle aged father figures who smoked a pipe. You know, "Fred McMurray" types.
Up a little late today, eh Mick?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I would have to say Gandolf in Lord of the Rings is my favorite pipe smoking character. He may have had some influence on my taking up the pipe. I am a huge Tolkien fan.
Yes up at 2am. Insomnia.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Gandolf is one of my faves as well.

Watched Sherlock Holmes "The Secret Weapon" last night, with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. While Sherlock smokes both cigs and pipes, in this movie, I was intrigued and impressed by Nigel Bruce "Watson". He is first seen with a full curved, and later with what looks to be a straight billiard throughout the rest of the movie.

He was obviously very experienced. He managed to light his pipe with one short puff/exposure to a match. He used rapid short puffs to get it fully stoked while having a good bit of dialogue.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Lee Van Cleef played a great pipe smoking character in For a Few Dollars More. One of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. That is from where Pstpkr's avatar was taken. Cleef played a bounty hunter, who packed a mean pistol, and smoked a mean pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipe smoking images on the screen were, at one time or another, so ubiquitous there are even 3 Stooges episodes were Curly pretends to smoke a gourd calabash. The same was true of Lou Costello in Abb. & Cost. Meet The Invisible Man -- caricatures of Sherlock Holmes. BTW, was there ever a Sherlock Holmes film where he was seen smoking (or even holding) a gourd calabash? I can't recall seeing that other than in printed images.
dunendain
Yes up at 2am

Hoo boy! Are we out of phase! I'm up super early -- couldn't sleep well, thought a bowl of P.A. would help.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Another pipe smoking character in Lord of the Rings was Strider. When he is sitting in the dark corner of the pub, with a hooded head, all you can see is the bowl of his pipe glowing with coals. That was a very cool scene. Another scene with Strider: He is sitting by the camp fire, smoking his pipe and singing in Elvish.
Yeah. Cortez, I seem to have an internal clock that goes off at 2am. Sometimes, I can go back to sleep, sometimes no. It sucks.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Phil, Dunendain,

The gourd calabash and Sherlock became associated in a Billy Wilder mystery/comedy "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes". Not a bad movie, not a great movie, but a Holmesian movie none the less.
I agree Dunedain, about the scene with Strider. That particular shot was particularly true to the book. Tremendous imagery.
Oh yeah, Moe Howard was a pipe smoker.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Christopher Lee did a couple of TV movies, where he played Sherlock. He smoked a cool Peterson Meerschaum throughout. Very cool. Those movies can be seen free on Youtube.
Maybe Elvis, but not Elvish=)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I love Tolkien too! I read all 4 books (The Hobbit & the Trilogy) twice when I was a teenager, and have watched the movies about a dozen times each.
Gandalf and Aragorn are two of my favorites as well.
bree_aragorn_tn.jpg

gandalf_large.jpg

Here's Merry too.
merrypipe.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You should read Tolkien's "Unfinished Tales".

A collection of unfinished stories assembled by Tolkien's son. It's a great book.

However; it's the most frustrating book on the planet.
You're enjoying your best Long Bottom Leaf, completely engrossed in the slaying of a dragon or the epic search for a hidden realm of elves, you turn the page. . . Damn!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Great pics Kevin. Great series of movies and books, promoting the the virtues of pipe-weed( The Halflings leaf).
Pstlpkr mentions Unfinished tales: It was at the great Council held in 2851 that the "Halfling's" leaf was first spoken of. Saruman had affected to scoff at it, but in private he made trial of it, and began to use it himself.: Gandalf laughed and replied "You would not wonder if you used the herb yourself You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within".

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Has anyone seen the western, The Ballad of Little Jo? There is a scene, shot around a campfire, where Ian McKellen( Gandolf in LOTRs) is teaching little Jo how to properly smoke a pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dunendain,

I don't think I have ever seen that movie.

I think I've heard of it.

Is it on-line, maybe UTube?

I love Westerns, old or new.

Watching "Return of the Magnificent Seven" right now.

"The Magnificent Seven" was on AMC earlier, so I decided to watch the sequel as well.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I was watching an episode of Cannon last night. Throughout the show he was smoking a very cool rusticated pot. I mean smoking it too. Lighting, and taking big puffs. Every show I have seen so far, he is always smoking some nice Briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.