PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Dear Abby, I have about 20 or so pipes. I know, I have an addiction. I find that I grab the same 3 or 4 pipes all the time. I have to make an effort to smoke the other pipes in my collection. Is this normal?
Conflicted in Colorado

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Twenty pipes? Why, you're the soul of austerity. And you have three or four favorites that are the ones you smoke. You lucky devil. If you can, go with what you've got.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Sounds very normal. I have quite a few pipes and seem to always go back to four favorites.
(That’s one reason I stopped buying more pipes.)

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Your scenario is about like mine and it seems to be a good place to be in. I have a theory or goal to only add a special pipe as a Christmas gift from[*] myself[/*] wife every year.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Nope, I am not a head shrinker but I played one on TV, your completely normal. If anything your on the extremely low side of Ineedallthepipesintheworlditis!! I recommend you buy two pipes and call me in the morning.

Jan 8, 2013
I have about 20 or so pipes. I know, I have an addiction. I find that I grab the same 3 or 4 pipes all the time. I have to make an effort to smoke the other pipes in my collection. Is this normal?
With many it is normal. I have around 50 (haven't counted in a while) and I was having that problem. I had many pipes that smoke great, and I truly enjoyed, not being smoked. At least a couple of those hadn't been smoked in nearly two years. So I bought another pipe stand to keep at my desk. It's a 6 pipe stand, plus I keep a single stand next to it. The pipes I put on it are now my 7 day set that gets changed weekly. Sometimes one or two will stay on the stand, especially if they're new for multiple weeks. But changing them out weekly is now ensuring that all my pipes are getting some smoke time.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I try to keep my collection at around 70-80 pipes and I do a cull every August, before the Columbus show. If I haven’t smoked a pipe in a year and it’s not sentimental to me, it goes. I suppose that I cull around 10-15 pipes every year.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am down to 18 pipes, with number 19 on the way. I have gotten rid of almost all the pipes I want to purge... almost. Of those left, one was my father's favorite pipe #Keeper. Four are lesser briars, but decent smokers I use for trying blends with new to me ingredients like Deertongue, various orientals, etc. The remaining fourteen are quality Briar pipes from makers I love, and they all get regular use. I am only buying pipes from three makers now. I have found what I like and will stick to it.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I am still new in the game and have 12 pipes. I find I usemy two favorite briars and my two cobs. I am putting any other pipe purchases on pause as I am trying to sample more blends. In summary, we are all about the same with iur favorite pipes.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Dear Conflicted:
Yes, you're addicted, but there is hope. You've taken the first step -- admitting you have a problem. Your condition also involves over-extension. Basically we need to get you through the rest of the twelve steps. Let's do the math: Step 2. 20-4=16. 16-6=10. Here's the solution. Put your 6 least favorite pipes down the disposal. Send the rest to me. That gets us to Step 12. You are now cured. You're most welcome. :)

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I like to keep my herd under 30. I usually have about 7 in rotation not including the cobs.
I do plan to buy a new one this week. I've been waiting a couple years for Blakemar to reissue their Sir William Lovat and he's promised me one...

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Bill, I will start the 12 step program tomorrow. I promise. Tonite I just ordered another Castillo. OK, I admit I have an addiction. Did you see there is a Peterson sale??? I must not look! I can't stop. HELP!!!

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Just don't buy a Meer! You will spend all of your time trying to color, and forget your favorite pipes!!! I have a Peterson estate I haven't picked up in forever.. I always reach for the meers to color... but I have to admit the meers are cool looking!!!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have several favorites. I just went through my pipes to see about doing a cull. It was hard stuff. I love all my pipes.
Meers are pretty awesome and they DO tend to distract. I just smoke mostly when walking the dogs, so I often use cobs.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I put you a link, I do not know if you will understand much and if you can open it :oops:, but at some point we visit the company Butz Choqin.
https://www.mycanal.fr/divertissement/les-secrets-d-une-bonne-pipe-la-bourgogne-franche-comte/p/1518570

Status
Not open for further replies.