PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
My favorite thing to do at the moment is to be on PipesMagazine. So, it would be using my laptop.

I also like to read books. I have read, and reread The Lord of the Rings series several times while Pipe smoking. Reading about the history of pipes and tobacco is also a favorite.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Currently,

I'm smoking my pipe,

Downloading a movie, "The Scarlet Pimpernel" w/Raymond Massey, and Nigel Bruce

and watching Curling on the Tube, American women leading Denmark 4 to 3.
Oh, and posting on Pipesmagazinecom and listening to Old Time Radio

"The Adventure of the Elusive Agent" parts 1, 2& 3, with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce on the MP3 player on my phone.

Just another sleepy day in Alabama.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I really suppose that my favorite thing to do when smoking, is enjoying a good book, or old movie, and an adult beverage. I have to make the time to enjoy myself.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Some of you know a VPN is a way to ball and chain you to work . So for me its the lap top ,with forum breaks . In the summer in the garage under the ceiling fan, in between the front and back yard detail . Big yard and Ill be damned if I will pay someone else to mow it ,after the hurricane I even cut down and stacked seven full sized trees .Shiny shoes on Monday and brogans on the weekends .

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
In the "man cave" (garage) after work, I drink bourbon and beer, read some of the 20 or so periodicals I receive monthly, and listen to Dennis Miller, Michael Savage, and Mark Levin on AM radio. I have one large pipe before supper, then stoke a canadian or a cob for a two mile walk with my leonberger/chow rescue dog (that lazy female black lab/pit bull claims the couch) afterwards. On weekends, there's time during the day to break out the smaller Ropps during chores around the patio. After I retire at the end of June, there will be no more work interfering with afternoon pipes!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I retired years ago, so I have almost the whole day to do what I want. I do work a little part time job though, but that's only like 3 or 4 hours a day.

So, pipe smoking happens pretty much whenever I feel like it.

I usually think about nothing at all. Just enjoy the peace and quiet, and a nice bowl of tobacco.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I like to hike to a place that over looks my town. Up there, it's a great place to smoke, and enjoy the view. There are many huge boulders, and I enjoy getting on one and lighting up. I have to be very careful, California burns very easily. I would never do this in the summer months. It's illegal. Of course I never break the law.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
Illegal to smoke sitting on a boulder up a bloody great hill? Boy - you guys have it tough!! It's usually a discarded ciggie that burns a place down but there ain't too much positive descrimination in favour of us careful and responsible pipe smokers I guess!

Favorite things to do while smokin' me pipe? - gotta be sitting up on Primrose Hill or Hampstead Heath with my mandolin playin tunes and chillin' with music lovin' folks.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
My most favorite and relaxing thing to do while smoking a pipe is; I turn on some classical music on the radio with the volume down low, grab a book, and light a pipe. I will sit there and smoke my pipe while reading and every now and then I will stop reading and just listen to the music.
I hardly ever have time to do that. My most usual pastime while smoking a pipe is working on articles, reviews, reading through the blogs and forums here at PipesMagazine.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I have to be very careful, California burns very easily. I would never do this in the summer months. It's illegal. Of course I never break the law.
Maybe California should allow you to smoke a tyrolean. Legend has it that the style was invented to accommodate similar laws in Germany.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Whiskeymick, I also play mandolin (bluegrass, not Vivaldi), a Gibson F9, but I hesitate to call myself a musician. I can't see smoking a pipe and playing simultaneously--at least not without biting through a bit. I've been playing old Flatt and Scruggs for a year or so--since I started collecting the TV show DVDs. Currently working on "100 Years From Now." Besides, I don't think I could ever STAND and play while puffing Luxury Bullseye Flake.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Another thing I enjoy is reading about the history of pipe smoking, and tobacco. There are several sites that feature historical pipes, and pipe smoking, as well as books. I especially like reading about the 18th and 19th century, when all gentlemen were taught how to smoke pipes, and taught pipe etiquette.

danishpuffer

Lurker
Feb 8, 2010
I often watch a movie, or one of the myriad TV-series I seem to be addicted to. But I think one of the best ways, for me, to smoke a pipe, is to just smoke it, and do nothing much else, maybe having a beer. I think that is why I fell for pipesmoking, it's such a meditative thing to do, enjoying the flavor as it changes, keeping the pipe lit, enjoying the look of the smoke a.s.o.

One of the best pipesmoking experiences so far was about 10 months ago. There was construction work going on at my girlfriends appartment building, so in the evening I crawled out of the window onto the scaffolding, and sat there enjoying my favourite aromatic at the time, a cold beer, that special Scandinavian spring light over the city along with a spring breeze and Alison Krauss and Union Station coming at me from the stereo in the livingroom. Man, that was a good pipe, it almost seems as if time stopped.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
One of the best pipesmoking experiences so far was about 10 months ago. There was construction work going on at my girlfriends appartment building, so in the evening I crawled out of the window onto the scaffolding, and sat there enjoying my favourite aromatic at the time, a cold beer, that special Scandinavian spring light over the city along with a spring breeze and Alison Krauss and Union Station coming at me from the stereo in the livingroom. Man, that was a good pipe, it almost seems as if time stopped.
That sounds like a great experience! The way you worded it speaks to me in that pipe smoking isn't just about the tobacco and the briar, but making time to take in and appreciate all the things around you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I tend to be a little ADOS....(Attention Defi....Oooo shiny).
So, I will have my favorite news channel on the tube, or a movie,

A well written book, and some Mozart or ELP on the Stereo, and a drink to go with my pipe. That's about as relaxing as it gets around here in the evening.
As for my best pipe... It would have to be down at Gulf Shores on the balcony of the Condos, Morning Blend (Light Latakia) in my Bjarne Free Form, , enjoying the breeze, the sound of the surf, and a cup of strong coffee, while I watched the moon rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.