PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I know it being June and all, Christmas Cheer is probably not on everyone's mind... Considering that every other post is about the recent Esoterica/Balkan Sobranie shipment and all that ensued. :|
In any event, I was interested to find out what is everyone's favorite CC year? I'm currently loving some 2012 that was sent to me by pruss (thank you sir). I also have some 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2013 put away. I personally enjoy the '12 much more than the '13. I've heard 2004 is quite lovely.
What are your favorites?

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
It's on my mind. Usually tinned in June/July and shows up at retailers sometime in late July or August. :)
Talked to Mike at the CPCC show and he seemed excited about this years rendition.
Can't say that I've had a favorite. Always enjoy the subtle differences each year. This should be an interesting thread.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had such a negative reaction to Petersons Christmas blend for 2010, I think it was, I haven't ever wanted

to buy or sample another holiday blend. What it seemed to me they had done was try to give the room note

a holiday fragrance with flavorings like cinnamon, pine, and the like. The first bowl or two were interesting,

and the under girding tobacco was savory and good. But it bite like a junkyard dog, and after trying to cut

it with some less flavored tobacco, with the same junkyard dog breaking through, I just abandon the tin.

What I want for the holidays is a first rate tobacco. I'll leave the holiday smells to the Christmas tree and

the Christmas baking.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Interesting mso. Those with CC experience is that normal? The two I've tried ('12 an '13) tasted like regular Virginia blends to me with no intention of tasting like Christmas.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
2003 is my favorite so far -- at 11 years it just bursts with warm, complex spices, plus the yummy sweetness you'd expect from a VA this old.
2004 is somewhat similar, possibly even sweeter (it's from the '94 crop), but isn't quite as complex (at least to me). It has more low, bass notes than 2003 -- or at least those tend to dominate the flavor profile.
2012 was just OK when I first opened it, but a few months later it was fantastic. Classic, pure VA all the way an I think that with age it will be similar to the 2003.
I have several other vintages cellared, but I haven't tried them yet. Really looking forward to the 2000, which was grown very close to where I grew up.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm pretty certain it changes from year to year. 2003 is from the '98 crop. Have they standardized it recently? Maybe.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
No 4 year requirement or anything like that. Unlike their other blends that usually have time to rest in the tin before being shipped to retailers, these are tinned and shipped. So, even if it's from a 4+ year old crop it hasn't been in the tin long. For this reason I rarely smoke the current year vintage. I buy a few tins each year but when I'm ready for Christmas cheer I pull from my aged stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.