Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Father the Flame

(21 posts)
  1. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will I ever be able to download and watch this film? I have been following this for years and have been looking forward to it patiently but it seems to be taking forever. I know it was screened at the Chicago pipe show but that must have been 5 or 6 months ago now.

It looks like a very well done production and I'm hoping that it will be interesting enough to show a few of my friends and family. Perhaps in the vain hope that it will allow them to better understand my love of pipe smoking. Well, I can dream, can't I?

Does anyone have any information regarding this film and its release?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might try asking the filmmakers:

http://www.fathertheflame.com/

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am expecting it to at least be as awe-inspiring as a Star Wars with as long as they've had the thing in the lab/studio/cutting room. When I posted about this last (almost the exact question), I got a few steamed responses assuring me that it was coming along and to quit my bitchin'.
    I've thrown some money at it years ago when it was being discussed on the PM radioshow, and if the only place I'll be able to see it is to fly across the US and set in a hotel room... well... I will be VERY disappointed.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With the sheer amount of terrible documentaries on Netflix, they should at least be able to get it on there if they are able to complete it.

Perhaps a lack of Mixture 79 has slowed them down.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might try asking the filmmakers:

Already had but thought I'd ask you chaps too.

I am expecting it to at least be as awe-inspiring as a Star Wars with as long as they've had the thing in the lab/studio/cutting room.

I must confess a similar thought

With the sheer amount of terrible documentaries on Netflix, they should at least be able to get it on there if they are able to complete it.

Indeed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

There's a lot that goes into post and especially distributing a film, from Errors and Omissions ( no distributor will touch your film without it) to proper color management and mixing. It generally takes me at least a year for every project. Even "fast"commercials are a couple months. It could be a money issue, it costs about $5,000 for an aggregator, and a couple grand for E&O. They could also be dealing with clearance issues.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

csharp

Login to Send PM

There was a mention on the last radio show http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-268/#more-10842

Something about an auction coming up to raise some funds and that they were close to a release.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've already donated. Still waiting to see the release.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a mention on the last radio show

Cheers, I'll give that a listen tomorrow when I have time. I have been working through the episodes I have missed of late.

Honestly, I have not been one of the investors in the project. That sort of thing sits out of my comfort zone but will, of course, be happy to pay for it when released like any other film.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This film has taken too long. When did they start five years ago? Six? Look this was supposed to be about 90 minute film or so. These people have drug it out for a seeming eternity. And now they are holding an auction for it. You guys can donate if you want but I say "No Mas".

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, it seems like maybe they are making a career out of one film. I have a buddy who makes one 50 minute documentary a week for TV. if they are doing hipster film over video, they will probably never release it on the computer, which will suck for all of us who sent them money.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a fine line between building anticipation and losing people's interest.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

I can watch a Netflix documentary on Bronies, guys who like My Little Pony, but not Father the Flame . Probably more Bronies than pipesmokers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@akfilm:

Very interesting. Glad to hear from someone in the field about the costs involved.

@cosmic:

Maybe we can convince them to lend us a copy that can magically appear on The Pirate Bay.

Exposure will only help them.

It worked for this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014809/

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah man, I’m dying to see this too! I could have sworn it was supposed to be released last year but it seems like it just keeps getting delayed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe we can get them to allow Kevin to post this to the PipesMagazine pages.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. davidy97

davidy97

Login to Send PM

It would be funny if they went all out hipster and released it in reel to reel or Betamax.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got a reply to my enquiry with them.

Yes! It is currently being submitted to many film festivals over the next year and will be released to the world after the festivals are complete. That should be close to mid to end summer.

Thanks for checking in!!!

So, Autumn next year it is then chaps.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

... released to the world...

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

released to the world

Excellent news. Next autumn means about ten months from now, I'd guess, so we'll just have to be patient.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did anyone here get one of the pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brooklynpiper, clickklick, cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cortezattic, jaygreen55