PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I wanted to post a new subject in this topic, about a quick restoration made on an estate pipe I bought in a lot.
So this is a 'Noname' as we say, stamped 'Bruyere Extra', no other markings.

This is a shape that really please my eyes : the Foursquare.
Of course, it is not the most beautiful but nice enough to deserve the work.
The cake is not too large, the briar shows a nice grain and it would have been a real beauty without the little claws on the stem (I suspect sanding attemps from the previous owner).

The work will be simple & quickly done. I just slightly scrubbed the stummel with oiled steel wool (0000), I am using Sumatra oil, I guess it is palm oil, it leave less odor than olive. Triple 0 steel wool works also but beware not to press too much to avoid the little claws.
Of course, I had to insist on the upper side of the stummel, which was covered by the carbon layer.

The big advantage with oiled steel wool is that you do not spoil the wood, it does not penetrate and it is still intact, though the the microfibers of the steel are effective against the dross that cover the briar.

After that, I rub the pipe with absorbent paper to wash out all the dirt located inside the crevices of the sandblast.
This is the result after the first rub :

It really enhances the colors and I advise it on all you old pipes, especially on sandblasted ones (because a bad move could have worse result on smooth briar)

This is the result after removing the cake (I really dislike smoking on the cake of someone else), followed by a slight sanding of the stem with 1200 drit and carnauba polishing :

I should have sanded the stem completely, but I was too lazy... :lol: anyway it could be done in less than one hour...
She is now ready for a little shooting (please click on the picture below to access to the gallery) :

She isn't perfect but I like it, and this the most important, isn't it? (I was talking about my pipe, though I think the same about my wife :lol: )

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
That went from nasty to beautiful. I certainly wouldn't have thought it ever could look so nice, well done!

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
> gnatjulio "That a real nice job and a sweet pipe. How does it smoke?"
Really good, the hole is straight, the draft wide enough and a good width of briar. Maybe not the first class in an esthetic point of view, but well, pleasant.
I just rerestored the stem (click on the photo to access to the gallery):

Nevertheless, I am about to sell it, as this is one of my activities too.

Status
Not open for further replies.