PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Thank you sable! Got two tins . Was expecting to wait a long time before getting this one

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I noticed it was gone when I looked, didn't last long. Kind of weird they had it and none of the other places I checked had any. Maybe they just got it first and the others will be getting it soon. If I were hunting it I would be all over the larger suppliers to see if it came in.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
A bit bland to me. Hoping a few years in the cellar will improve it.

Gonna have to agree with ya. I was very underwhelmed with it. It didn't have much depth and it tasted like it was lightly topped with vanilla flavoring. Much prefer other VA flakes to it. I got caught up in the hype the last go round and bought 5 tins before I even tried it, so I hope you're right, I hope age will give it a bit more character.
I should note that I've said this in the past about other blends that I've later resisted just to be blown away. Some of my current favorites were very underwhelming at first so I try to never swear off a blend indefinitely.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I'm a bowl away from finishing a tin hand dated 2013 that I bought from a member here a while back. Very good flake but not in my top 10 baccys. I have several more tins from 2013 and 2016 that will cellar well. I won't be purchasing anymore but look forward to cracking a tin every once in a while.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I picked some up in 2015 from pipeandleaf, and will give it a couple more years before revisiting. I am hopeful though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For many, scarcity is an important flavor enhancer, a sort of condiment. Nothing wrong with that. Psychology is part of enjoyment.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To those who aren't sold on this blend, I will give you my experience with aged CVP. The last old tin I cracked from 2001 was in 2012. The tobacco had turned almost jet black. The flavors of raisins and stewed fruit was sublime. Now anyone who doesn't know what stewed fruit tastes like, I will extrapolate. My grandmother stewed fruits, prunes, peaches,figs,apricots as a desert for all of the holidays. It is a delicious concoction that I grew up with. So when I mention the flavors of stewed fruit, that is where I am coming from.
I recently cracked a tin of 2012 CVP. It has gotten much darker than when fresh, but not as dark as that 2001 tin. It is smoking really nice and I normally smoke it as either my first or second bowl of the day. If you have the patience, let it age and you will hopefully enjoy it as much as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.