PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
VardonOuimetRay%20-%20Golf%20Magazine%20Oct.%201913_zpst48webc9.png

Vardon smoked a pipe as did Ray. In the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played" they show Ray actually hitting shots with a pipe in his mouth.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Golf is my primary hobby and pipe smoking takes a close second and I integrate them as much as possible. Anytime I'm working on my golf game and playing practice rounds I try to smoke a my pipe. It helps me in a few ways, A.) I enjoy the smoking of my pipe while in between shots, or waiting in between holes, and B) clenching a pipe helps me hit better golf shots.
Hitting shots with a pipe in your teeth, helps you relieve tension in your body. One of the number one killers of a golf swing is tension in your swing, and when you're holding tension in your body, you'll notice that it goes up to your jaw. If you can clench a pipe and hit golf shots, and not ruin your stems then you'll find that you're much more relaxed. This in addition to using proper swing mechanics, will probably hit much better shots.
Win/Win in my book.
I'm not saying that clenching a pipe is going to be the key to learning how to swing a club, but it's a tool to help someone that has problems with tension in their swing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's really interesting. It seems like smoking a pipe would be a distraction and not so relaxing, but

I'm not a golfer, and everyone is different. Has anyone ever seen a player smoking a pipe during a tournament

in modern times? There's an old joke about golf ruining a perfectly good walk, and this sounds like it would

also be ruining a perfectly good smoke, but in fact, I really admire Vardon for being able to do this, to be

casual and doing something demanding well, while pipe smoking.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I haven't been able to swing while clenching a pipe but perhaps it would help me keep from dipping my head!
Golf is also my first hobby. I normally walk when I play so I don't smoke much on the course. Too many things to keep track of. But next time I'm forced to take a buggy and sit through a 5 hour round I'm going to break out the pipe while waiting.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I thought these were the players you might mention. I smoke cigars while golfing, have not tried the pipe but just seems it would not be a good idea for me, I would be upset if I ran over the pipe with the cart.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I smoke a pipe while chipping near the green and putting. To hang onto the pipe, you have to keep your head still. That's also good for the golf. Zitotczito, I have my regular rotation which is smoked on the imperial couch and then I have a few pipes for golf, which are already a bit dinged up, which are designated for golf use.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Not golf, I'm afraid, but Crown Green Bowling. Back in the 60s and 70s televised bowling was a big thing in the UK and my father was a huge fan, watching all the programmes and eventually taking up the hobby when he retired (he never had the time whilst at work). I remember that there was a famous participant, whose name I cannot remember, who always smoked his Falcon pipe as he played. Back then, the camera was not afraid to show him pipe in mouth as he participated and, being a champion, inevitably winning. His pipe became quite a trademark for him at the time. I wonder if he is still around?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.