PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I came across a collection of Mello Bowl pipes (unsmoked) from the 1940s. But I haven't been able to find out anything about this brand online. Does anyone here have any knowledge of the company. . . or collect these pipes? In the 40s, they were sold in drugstores and featured "blended briar," which, it seems, was some kind of briar concoction rather than single pieces of briar. According to the ads, "blended briar" was guaranteed not to burn out. That's nice, I guess, but in 30+ years of pipe smoking, I've only had one pipe suffer a burn-out! (Unfortunately, it was a gorgeous straight-grain Charatan!)
Any info would be appreciated.
Bob

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Never heard of it or seen them. But I did find a lot that's coming up in an auction soon.
I wonder if it's perhaps pipes that were made during and shortly after WW2 by KB&B, the makers of Kaywoodie, Medico and Yello Bole. During WW2, Mediterranean briar was hard to get and so they experimented with growing burls out on the West Coast. It wasn't quite as good, from what I read, so it may be that these found their way into this obscure brand. But that's just conjecture on my side.
Keep us posted if you find anything ! I'd love to find out.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Belgian Mick: I saw that auction too. I don't think the Mello Bowl pipe simply used a different kind of briar burl; these pipes actually look like they're some type of manufactured wood product. There's no grain whatsoever. Each pipe features the same mottled-wood appearance.
There's no company name on the display card other than "Mello Bowl." And the slogans are "Sweet as a nut" and "Scientifically processed to eliminate 'pipe bite'"!
You just can't beat a "scientifically processed" pipe! :)
Bob

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Are they "Yellow Bole" pipes by any chance?
affraid.gif

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Good point !
I am now on a quest... I did find a pipe manufacturing company called "MelloPure", which seems to have made metal pipes with removable bowl and filter.
53_1.jpg

For more info, see this article
Perhaps they tried their hand at briar pipes and called them "Mello Bowl" ?
In any case, I also found an old reference to a Mello Bowl granulated briar, so perhaps the "scientific" process is to grind of briar of lesser quality and make a sort of compressed briar bowl with it ?? :crazy:
The hunt is on ;-)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Lawrence:

I don't think so. If you zoom in on the picture as much as you can, you can faintly see the marking "Mello" on the fourth one down in the left row.
14796336_1_x.jpg

The second one from the bottom on the right seems to have a faint logo on the stem, but I can't make it out.
:twisted:
But hey, I got some occupational therapy now

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
And they are out there... another one on the Bay of E
Writing is much clearer to read on that one. But no other markings that I can see.
PS: I left out the image tag since the image was so big. Thanks L. for fixing ;-)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If that eBay seller is able to get his asking price for a presmoked pipe, I'll have to get my collection up there too! :)
Belgian Mick: I found the same card of pipes in my estate sale, although the card itself is in much better shape. (Probably because someone wrapped the whole thing in a newspaper -- from 1945 -- before stuffing it away in an attic.) Hard to believe these things are still out there, regardless of what their quality or history might be; I was amazed just to see anything like this still around after 65 years or so. (I don't expect to be in such good shape after 65 years!)
Bob

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Well

After several more hours of scouring the interweb, using a little crawler, all I was able to find were some more pictures and scans of 1940's newspapers and gazettes. Nothing about who made them :-(
All I can think is that they were a cheaper brand. If I had to venture on maker, I would probably put my money on Kaufman Brothers & Bondy, but I wouldn't bet a lot on it though.
Here's the items I found:

A 1945 ad listing actual Mellow Bole (note the difference in spelling)

NiagaraFallsGazetteMar1945MelloBole_zpse2581ce2.jpg

March 1945 Niagara Falls Gazette
And then several other ads listing "Blended Briar" pipes either without brand name:

blendedbriaraddTheBillboardAug101946_zps9c98d8c1.png

August 1946 edition of "The Billboard"
blendedbriaraddFeb11947_zps683f0723.png

February 1947 ad...unknown magazine
Or with a brand name, in this case Balum, which is unknown to me as well.

balumblendedbriar_3_zps0e7fb176.jpg

The fact that these ads seem to be prevalent around the end of the world war, makes me think they are indeed some form of engineered wood briar pipes due to the shortage of actual Mediterranean briar during the war. Once the import of briar was restored, they went the way of chicory coffee and food stamps.
For now, that's as good as I'm going to be able to find out. It's a neat piece of history, but pretty obscure apparently. It might be worth it to a history buff.
Good luck
PS: Had to come back and make the pics bigger so they were readable. Sorry for the large size.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Great information!
I do agree that they must have been a budget pipe. I've noticed that, in addition to the manufactured nature of the wood, the stems seem to be the kind of plastic seen on modern corncob pipes. And the finishing on the stems is a bit rough.
One other oddity: the tenon is actually a piece of light metal that's attached to the shank. The stems just twist onto it. It's not a stinger or filter of any kind; just a hollow metal tenon permanently attached to the shank rather than the stem.
I'd love to try one of these, just to see what they're like. But since I'm trying to sell my set as an unsmoked set, it won't happen.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.