Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Have you guys ever bought a pipe that you couldn't really afford or it was way out of your budget, but you did it anyway just because you fell in love with it and couldnt stop thinking about it. of yes, please let us see that grand seducer

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sure. I've learned to save my pennies and get the pipes I really want. Learning to restore and resell estate pipes has helped pay for most of my collection. One of my prized possessions came via this path:

Bought a $50 Peterson (new) - I didn't like it and traded it for two estates.

Sold one estate and traded the other for a 1960's Peterson

Sold that Peterson and with the proceeds from the other, that funded my dream pipe (Comoys 499 Extraordianaire)

In the end, a $300 estate pipe cost me $50 out of my pocket.

So, it's definitely a journey for me!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It seems like every pipe I own meets the criteria. :lol:

I'm glad I caved on this Ser Jac hawkbill, it's a wonderful smoker.

getimagevar.jpg
getimagevar-3.jpg

getimagevar-2.jpg

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@ssjones, it took me a while to find a photo of that love of yours, its a bad ass

and it feels good to know that it didn't empty your pocket

@Cortez, mate im very new to pipes. maybe les than 2 weeks but for last two weeks maybe ive seen more than 1000 pipes. yours have quiet a unique look i must say. at least in my eyes. its always good to be different from the crowd. nice pipe

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I fell for a brand and started buying anything. Now im skint and realise I will be scrimping until I find a dream pipe.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Falling in love with a pipe is nice but the divorce really sucks!.. so like others said.. go ahead just make sure you are really in love with it and not just infactuated!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
WOW Cortez! That Hawkbill is one sexy looking pipe!
I do have pipes that I feel seduced me into bringing them home with me, but most were just rational decisions. Good looking pipe, feels good, must smoke well, whoosh! into the collection.

But the last pipe I felt seduced by was a little Hilson Calabash I just recently added to my collection. It still has me entranced.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I don't buy things I can't afford. I like hunting for deals and have pretty good self-restraint when it comes to my meager-ass finances.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've bought a few high end pipes as celebrations for selling written work. A lot of the "sport" for me is finding pipes that I feel are

sold way below their value (to me anyway). For example, my go-to pipe carver caters to a limited local clientele and charges

a third what he might if he played the reputation game online. Some machine pipes are outstanding smokers, just amazingly

well engineered and designed -- French pipes fit this category in many cases, certainly not all, but plenty. Though his pipes are

drifting upward in price, the Danish pipe carver Johs delivers well above his price level in carefully crafted and remarkably light

weight (well-aged briar) pipes. Even push-bit briar Kaywoodie Saxons, when you can find them, or Yello-Bole Checkers are equal

to many pipes at several times their prices. So I don't have any Dunhills nor Castellos, nor Radices nor Tinskys, but I have some

worthy pipes that deliver a fine smoke most every time. To do this, you pay the price in learning and shopping continuously when

you're not buying anything, just to have a fell for what's out there. The investment is in time rather than money, and sure enough --

in my opinion -- it pays.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@gigger, new Rinds don't say anything about being handmade. not sure if they are

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
Is there such a thing as handmade? Whatever artisan you pick, chances are those pipes are made on machines, the same as most factory pipes. Wouldn't it be more accurate to differentiate between assembly line and one-craftsman pipes?
Edit - Oh, and to the OP subject: I don't spend money I don't have on pipes, but I've definitly had crushes on pipes that I bought and then kind of regretted after the fact. The good thing about the money I use for pipes though is that I can toss such a pipe in a box and come back to it later, if my tastes should develope in that direction.

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
Savinelli factory
That's from the Savinelli factory, looks the same as what an artisan does, except a bowl gets passed from craftsman to another.
(the interesting parts come in at the 2 minute mark or so)

adam12

May 16, 2011
Okay I have to go there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0sTpZja6JQ

Status
Not open for further replies.